IGNORED

Martyn Woolford

And Its Smith

Another one of our "rubbish"* players doing well in the league above us.

*according to people on this forum

MARTYN Woolford has been praised for his bravery in possession.

Millwall's top scorer took his tally for the season to seven with the equaliser against Bolton last weekend - his second goal in three games.

And manager Ian Holloway has hailed the versatile midfielder for embracing his possession-based style of play.

"Woolford is a great lad," the Lions boss said. "He's enjoying his life and scoring goals. He's in a fantastic run of form and I'm still finding out where his best position is.

"I love his finishing and the way he strikes the ball. He looks like he's got goals in him and he's learning to understand two or three different roles, which helps coordinate the team.

"Against Reading, he was our best player because he constantly wanted the ball. If the ball doesn't come to him, he goes and gets it. He's brave.

"You have to be brave, you really do, particularly when you don't quite yet understand the overall structure, the style of play and where the spaces are going to be.

"The more you do something, the more you understand where the space is. That's why the likes of Everton are passing the ball now.

"If you watched Barcelona on Tuesday, they understand where other people are going to be, all of the time. My boys are doing it from fresh and it's tough for them."

Speaking immediately after Woolford scored his latest goal, Holloway revealed that the 28-year-old has expressed a desire to play as a striker.

He said: "Woolford was our top scorer when I came in, and when we went to Portugal he said to me, 'I'm your top scorer, why aren't you playing me?'

"I told him he hadn't scored for me yet! Now he's my top scorer and I'm delighted for him.

"The great thing is, he thinks he can go up front as well, and he's still scoring from midfield.

"When I get my two widemen scoring, my centre forwards scoring and my midfield three scoring, I'll be more than happy.

"At the moment we are creating some chances, which is nice, and we are doing it at a time when it's bobbly and windy. You've got to be brave, stick to your guns and keep going."

He was technically very good, but did struggle with being asked to do any defensive 'spade work', which he was in the system he was often deployed in here.

No wonder his best games for us he basically played as high up as the forwards as a winger.

Personally think he is the type of player Bryan looks to be.

Did you read it? He doesn't mean brave in the tackle he means courageous in wanting the ball a running with it

He was scared of the ball and of opponents for a large part of the time he played here. When someone forced the ball on him he was pushed off it very often. He had a spell of three or four good games then faded back to that unfortunately.

There are to many seemingly good players that come to BCFC and under perform for it to be just a coincidence. I have always thought this. How many strikers have we had that have has good record elsewhere before and after their time here but cant score for toffee while playing for us?

He was good at finishing but not much else. Unfortunately in his time here he had Pitman, Stead, Baldock and Davies all more than capble of finishing ahead of him. So he was needed as a midfielder not an attacker. Obviously given more of a striking role at Scunny and Millwal. Hence his ok goal return in teams with rubbish players.

Holloway allows his players more freedom with the system he plays.

Very surprised Woolford is 'brave' when it comes to wanting to get on the ball mind. He mastered the art of hiding during his time here. He was pretty gutless for us in all honesty.

He was consistently poor for us so why shouldn't people say it as they see it?

Did you read it? He doesn't mean brave in the tackle he means courageous in wanting the ball a running with it

Yeah I read it. Brave is an adjective I wouldn't associate with any part if his game.

I couldn't care less what he's done at Millwall he's one of the gutless cowards that contributed to our relegation.

Archived