IGNORED

Why Do We Groan When Passing Around The Back Four When Were Ahead?

Pheasant plucker

Did anyone else notice yesterday when we were 1 - 0 up in the first half yesterday, we started knocking it about between the back four and we had plenty of moans.

Now surely when we're ahead its good and quite satisfying to frusterate the opposition?

Aden Flint got well spooked yesterday when getting whined at and promply overhit a pass and knocked it out of play!

Does anyone feel I'm being overly patient - maybe I should start whining and doing some animated finger waving/arm waving too - does it help the team or make somehow make u feel a better, more balanced person?

Or maybe the majority are with me finding it a tadd ignorant and blinkered.

Your opinions as always will be cherished (or ignored if I don't like 'em :D )

Did anyone else notice yesterday when we were 1 - 0 up in the first half yesterday, we started knocking it about between the back four and we had plenty of moans.

Now surely when we're ahead its good and quite satisfying to frusterate the opposition?

Aden Flint got well spooked yesterday when getting whined at and promply overhit a pass and knocked it out of play!

Does anyone feel I'm being overly patient - maybe I should start whining and doing some animated finger waving/arm waving too - does it help the team or make somehow make u feel a better, more balanced person?

Or maybe the majority are with me finding it a tadd ignorant and blinkered.

Your opinions as always will be cherished (or ignored if I don't like 'em :D )

We're Bristol City, we moan when we want.

The same fans who get excited when someone makes a sliding challenge...

The same fans who get all animated at corners...

The same fans who love players who run after lost causes...

The same fans who want 'flying wingers'...that end up running into brick walls

Unfortunately we as a Club have been bereft of good football for many many years...and imho, it's the reason why many fans at the Gate don't understand football and the importance of possession.

I think it is nervousness on the fans part.As gordie said it is not a good part of the pitch to lose possession of the ball and our defenders passing is not always the best.Sometimes passing continuously between defenders feels like an accident waiting to happen.

The same fans who get excited when someone makes a sliding challenge...

The same fans who get all animated at corners...

The same fans who love players who run after lost causes...

The same fans who want 'flying wingers'...that end up running into brick walls

Unfortunately we as a Club have been bereft of good football for many many years...and imho, it's the reason why many fans at the Gate don't understand football and the importance of possession.

Many years? I thought we played our best football under Wilson.. it was exciting and a pleasure to watch, just a shame we couldn't get across the line.

It's because the majority of our players are of Div 1 level ability. None of the back have the ability/confidence to bring the ball out into midfield so opt for the easy option of passing sideways. The last defender to bing the ball out regularly was Caulker and his quality was obvious from his first City game.

Add to that the fact that the midfield rarely comeback to pick up the ball off the back four and you have your explanation. Too many of our fans don't understand that, hence the groans.

Watch the top teams moving out of defence on TV and you'll notice the difference.

While we have just gone 1-0 up (dont say that often) we should be getting the ball forward more quickly looking for another.

Not try playing nice football while the opposition waits for us to make mistakes, which is far to often!

While the tails are up go for the kill. Half our players cant pass the ball more than 10ft.

Exactly this. We start playing it around and we all get flashbacks to various goals conceded in the past 12 months.

I'd agree with this too. We need to push on and look for a second goal not sit back and wait for the opposition to play catchup, which 9 times out of 10 they seem to do. Maybe the fans have more confidence we can score again than they do at times.

Also what comes first, Flint etc booting it across the back line or the crowds gasps of horror? If he has to hoof it then boot it down the pitch not across for flips sake.

There's too little confidence in the team to start playing keep ball along the back, whilst I would love to us play possession football, I feel the team and the fans are too nervy to do that.

I don't agree that we don't have the ability. Amateur footballers have the ability to bring a ball out of defence or knock it around, it's having the confidence in that ability to actually do it.

It's so irritating at times when you've got numerous people in the Dolman screaming "FORWARD, FORWARD" despite there not being any options at all in front of the defence. So Flint will then begin to play it long instead of passing it patiently and waiting for someone to make an option.The same people then shout "Pathetic Flint, stop hoofing it!" Some of our fans amaze me at times, but I guess you'll find these at every club.

It's embarrassing and fits right in with the joke club we are right now.

We've got a young team who can undoubtedly improve and are trying to do the right things, how exactly is groaning at them doing the right things going to help? The alternative is Flint booting it downfield looking for Baldock's head and gifting the ball back to the opposition.

Many years? I thought we played our best football under Wilson.. it was exciting and a pleasure to watch, just a shame we couldn't get across the line.

Indeed...plus our first year up in the Championship...exciting to watch...but even in that short space of time football has moved on.

What was Premier League back then, has trickled down through the Div's over the years...coaching and tactics wise.

Players are fitter and defences are harder to break down. Teams work together more as a unit.

But every team, whatever division or country, knows that possession is important...all teams that do continually well thrive on possession based football.

Managers and Coaches strive towards it.

You get the odd exception, but anyone going through their Coaching badges right now knows that possession is key and a move away from 442 to a more packed midfield...loosely 361 is now in vogue.

As for passing it around at the back...think back to Liverpool and Holland back in the 70's and 80's...they were so patient and proficient at it...it just depends on the movement in front of them to work.

When SoD was here, we struggled because Baldock continued to play off the shoulder of the last defender and ask for the ball over the top or down the channel...this in my mind is why he's been moved wide. JET roamed, but was too slow in doing so and allowed the opposition to get their defence organised and men behind the ball again. Then he would try to take them all on :grr:

Things worked well when Waggy, Reid and Bryan dropped inside or deeper, to pick the ball up and move through midfield, or a simple ball to Pack in almost an old fashioned sweeper position then played forward...it was working occasionally but taking a long time to grasp it seemed.

Our biggest problem I've noted over the past few years is movement up front...if someone dropped deeper to collect it would create so much more space, but often Baldock is looking to turn and wheel away.

At the moment under SC it seems to change from week to week.

I think it reflects how desperately we need wins. Anything that looks like it's not committed to attacking and winning gets frowned on. It's a football crowd, not a chess crowd. A lot of things are said in the heat of the moment, always have done, always will, just the same all over the country. At least nobody got head butted ! 

I cheer when we score, or do something good and curse when I see someone launch a long ball to the invisible man, twice.

I think it reflects how desperately we need wins. Anything that looks like it's not committed to attacking and winning gets frowned on. It's a football crowd, not a chess crowd. A lot of things are said in the heat of the moment, always have done, always will, just the same all over the country. At least nobody got head butted ! 

I cheer when we score, or do something good and curse when I see someone launch a long ball to the invisible man, twice.

Football is played like Chess nowadays...slow build up, create space, then fast and decisive movements in the final third and around the box.

Unfortunately many football fans remember football how it used to be played and base their emotions on that.

As a Club, we've played 'old fashioned' type football for many years.

Using wingers like Albert to expend excess energy running the channels. Often into a wall of defenders.

I think many fans at the Gate only like that type of football...if we continue in that vein, then we will always be in this Division or bouncing around the two...pretty much echoing our history.

We need to move with the times...that's why I was disappointed when SoD left... not because of the results but what I saw was a bright future and a move away from our 'traditional' style of play.

I can see why people do want us to go on and get the second, as you all know the very slim chances of one goal being enough to win us a game.

Patience. As I suppose you'll be the one moaning when we get hit on the counter. One quick striker vs Flint and El Abd quick striker will win any day. We concede then the moans of we were 1-0 up why can't we f'ing hold on to a lead?!?!?

Archived