IGNORED

First Openly Gay Pl Footballer...

BUTOR

He is actually left footed though plus he can use his right. FWIW, I actually agree with you but Sterling is a one footed player. The WC defenders will negate him straight away IMHO.

Let's face it, England are f**ked at this summers WC.

Being one footed doesn't always mean you're easy to read. One word: Robben

Being one footed doesn't always mean you're easy to read. One word: Robben

Totally agree but don't think Sterling has the nouse to be that player just yet. I thought he was shocking the other night as he was always trying to get the ball on to his right foot and the defenders knew it, Just my opinion but he would be one to miss out on Brazil as he's not quite ready, yet!

Cannot understand people claiming this isn't news.

I truly hope we soon reach a day when the sexuality of a player barely raises a comment, but as it stands, a Premier League, England international coming out is a truly momentous milestone.

As has been said, I hope it has been his choice to reveal all. Hopefully it will pave the way for others to feel comfortable enough to open up about their sexuality.

On another note there doesn't seem to be any real confirmation this will happen, so it could all still be some sort of fake originating on twitter.

Apparently this rumour was started via a fake twitter account???

If true then surely the sun will have to confirm this at some point today?

It does make you worry what abuse a player would get from opposition supporters, or even there own fans if they hit a bad patch of form.

If someone is gay then they have every right to say they are. If this person worked in an office im sure they would have no problem coming out. If this happens Sunday then you really have to admire the person for doing this to millions of people around the world. Something no one here would ever be able to relate to.

I hope it does happen Sunday purely so it can be put to bed. I just cant see it happening though.

Only thing, I hope this does is help more fellow professionals come out, its not the dark ages, the problem with me is the players not coming out? If they are gay or not, so what, soon as a few come out, I am sure a few more will open up and everyone will all forget about it

Only thing, I hope this does is help more fellow professionals come out, its not the dark ages, the problem with me is the players not coming out? If they are gay or not, so what, soon as a few come out, I am sure a few more will open up and everyone will all forget about it

The issue is that its ok a few of us on here saying 'so what I couldn't care' when in reality there will be thousands of people out there waiting to make this persons life hell.

As I said earlier this isnt coming out to just a few family and friends. When my brother told us he was gay he was a nervous wreck, dont know why as he knew it wouldnt make a difference to us as he was still the same person. But this footballer who is rumoured to be coming is doing so to the world. The backlash he could face is massive. Not just on the pitch in this country but around the world and in his personal life.

The fact it could be such an issue is the most frustrating thing as there would be no need for it, but life isnt like that...

The issue is that its ok a few of us on here saying 'so what I couldn't care' when in reality there will be thousands of people out there waiting to make this persons life hell.

As I said earlier this isnt coming out to just a few family and friends. When my brother told us he was gay he was a nervous wreck, dont know why as he knew it wouldnt make a difference to us as he was still the same person. But this footballer who is rumoured to be coming is doing so to the world. The backlash he could face is massive. Not just on the pitch in this country but around the world and in his personal life.

The fact it could be such an issue is the most frustrating thing as there would be no need for it, but life isnt like that...

It will have to come down to education, familiarity and acceptance as it did with black footballers during the 70's and 80's. I look back at that period and remember how terrible it was at the beginning seeing and hearing the abuse that black footballers received, listening to all the stereotypes about them being soft and not liking the cold weather etc. There was a period where it nearly put me off going, football seemed divorced from my own circle of friends and the kind of music I listened too etc. In the end I remember the pride of hearing someone shouting racial abuse being shouted down by fellow City fans and thinking the tide has turned. Now I doubt there are many people who would equate a players talent to the colour of their skin, in public at least!

I guess the main difference for the black players is that there was no "coming out", you couldn't deny you were black and the pressure those first few black players received, must have been so difficult for them.  

Shouldn't be an issue at all. But while this subject has been raised, what about the gay supporters who are afraid to come out, due to macho culture pressures. I know of two City fans, both with a violent, macho, reputation, who are in the closet.

Some posters have stated on here that being married and having kids says you aren't gay. Not so, as one of the two City supporters mentioned has seven kids. It's not just the players who are too frightened to come out.

Totally agree but don't think Sterling has the nouse to be that player just yet. I thought he was shocking the other night as he was always trying to get the ball on to his right foot and the defenders knew it, Just my opinion but he would be one to miss out on Brazil as he's not quite ready, yet!

Didn't he get MOTM?

Shouldn't be an issue at all. But while this subject has been raised, what about the gay supporters who are afraid to come out, due to macho culture pressures. I know of two City fans, both with a violent, macho, reputation, who are in the closet.

Some posters have stated on here that being married and having kids says you aren't gay. Not so, as one of the two City supporters mentioned has seven kids. It's not just the players who are too frightened to come out.

Narrows it down a bit!

If it is The Sun that prints this "story" then every decent football fan, indeed every decent person, should boycott that apology for a newspaper.

Unfortunately, it is still news. We might not like the way they do things, and I wouldn't put it past them to be using some sort of blackmail, when it gets dark, this is deemed interesting news.

Oh and page 3.

If it is The Sun that prints this "story" then every decent football fan, indeed every decent person, should boycott that apology for a newspaper.

After Hillsborough everyone should of boycotted it.

• Admin

Unfortunately, it is still news. We might not like the way they do things, and I wouldn't put it past them to be using some sort of blackmail, when it gets dark, this is deemed interesting news.

Oh and page 3.

I'm with you on this. This is why there is so much stigma around the whole situation.

I couldn't honestly care less if the player was gay / bi / hetro etc, we only support them on the pitch not off it.

So what if he sleeps with a guy or a supermodel, does anyone care? Do we REALLY need to know?

This shouldn't be headline news, but to pre-empt the story with a leak too, just proves all they are worried about it making additional sales

Vile paper as "Super" wrote above, should not touch that rag since Hillsborough!

Archived