IGNORED

Luton Give Club Image Rights To Fans

gater2

...a commendable and forsightfull move by Luton.

In this day and age with club heritage & tradition discarded left right and centre by mystery overseas moneymen with no understanding or regard of what matters to generations of past present & future football fans in this country the importance of this initialtive will hopefully spread throughout the leagues.

One Cardiff is (& actually, come to think of it, has always been :) ) one too many... if anything good comes from the Cardiff experience it will be changes made for the good of all that we are witnessing at Luton.

How many professional clubs have fans sat on the board?

Bristol City used to.

Post 1982 we were owned by fans and significant share percentage ownership may not have been within the reach of everybody, but it was certainly not restricted to billionaires.

...a commendable and forsightfull move by Luton.

In this day and age with club heritage & tradition discarded left right and centre by mystery overseas moneymen with no understanding or regard of what matters to generations of past present & future football fans in this country the importance of this initialtive will hopefully spread throughout the leagues.

One Cardiff is (& actually, come to think of it, has always been :) ) one too many... if anything good comes from the Cardiff experience it will be changes made for the good of all that we are witnessing at Luton.

The Cardiff example is a classic one Luton are trying to avoid. I would personally much rather be in our position than in theirs having sold their soul.

Just look at Pompey - years of despair but finally they can say their club is THEIRS. I've spoken to different Pompey fans and they are happier now than they ever were at the top.

Sadly it often needs a crisis like there to force fans into action. I don't know how many members of the Trust we have here but I'd guess it's not many compared to clubs where there has been a crisis in recent years.

The supporters club and trust are in discussions with the club about protecting it's identity. That's all there is to know right now.

Just curious to know have the Supporters club and trust canvassed their members and the wider fan base to get some idea

on what fans think that identity actually is or what it means? before going to the club? fans on the same page?

Just curious to know have the Supporters club and trust canvassed their members and the wider fan base to get some idea

on what fans think that identity actually is or what it means? before going to the club? fans on the same page?

It's about registering the club as a community asset, so that things couldn't be changed without consulting with the wider fan base, not us telling them about specifics now.

• SC&T Board Members

I had the issue raised at a recent Fans Parliament and the Club & Trust has since been considering ways that this could be achieved. It was discussed again at our open meeting on Thursday evening and on Friday we also corresponded with our counterparts in Luton.

Any input that anyone can offer, particularly if you have legal expertise in this area, would be very welcome.

Well done Luton Town!

In terms of our clubs identity the only things that are really worth protecting are the clubs name, club colours and its nickname.

There's no reason why these things can't be given to the fans with fans having a veto over any changes. But its good to hear the trust are looking at this

I think that what this post means is that this is the first most of us have heard that this has been discussed or even thought about being discussed, yet you the ST and the committee thing are supposed  to represent the fans.

How can you represent the fans when we the fans have no idea what you are doing.... and so there for have no input what so ever.

It's about registering the club as a community asset, so that things couldn't be changed without consulting with the wider fan base, not us telling them about specifics now.

Do you mean registering the club a community asset, as in Asset of Community Value under the 2011 Localism Act? I've been heavily involved in registering my local pub as an ACV, my understanding is that it is only possible to register land or property as community assets, not intangibles. That would imply an application to register Ashton Gate as an ACV, not the club or the name or colours etc.

Or is it some other type of protection that is envisaged?

Do you mean registering the club a community asset, as in Asset of Community Value under the 2011 Localism Act? I've been heavily involved in registering my local pub as an ACV, my understanding is that it is only possible to register land or property as community assets, not intangibles. That would imply an application to register Ashton Gate as an ACV, not the club or the name or colours etc.

Or is it some other type of protection that is envisaged?

No, you're right Nick. Only Ashton Gate the stadium would be protected under ACV. It effectively means that if the ground was ever put up for sale then the applicant of the ACV would be entitled to submit a bid to purchase the ground, which would have to be considered.

That's my understanding but if you've been involved in the process you may know more!

You're right, they are two separate things.

We can register Ashton Gate Stadium as an Asset of Community Value under the 2011 Localism Act. This simply gives interested parties (supporters) an option to be alerted to any potential sale and a chance to bid. The ink is drying on the application as we speak, although we have said to the football club that we would hold off submitting it until all the necessary permissions and clearances have been approved for the redevelopment.

Protecting against a future name change etc is what Miles has talked about already on this thread.

Stu

Correct Will.

A community group can nominate an asset to be registered as an ACV. The nomination is to the local authority and, if accepted, the asset is placed on a register. Thereafter, if the owner wishes to sell the asset, the authority by law has to be notified, who in turn notify the community group, who are then given 6 weeks to record an interest in purchasing the asset, and 6 months to raise the funds do so.

There are various types of community groups able to make the nominations, in the case of Bristol City there is probably no group other than the Community Trust both willing and able to make the application.

The owner does not have to sell to the community group, however the fact that the asset is an ACV means that it is very unlikely that an application for change of use would ever be permitted. Therefore, the owner could not demand an unreasonable amount for the asset, so the asset would have to be offered to the community at market value, as its designated use.

In the case of pubs, its a very useful piece of legislation, as it prevents speculators purchasing a struggling pub on the cheap then obtaining change of use to residential.

Not sure how it would work in the case of a football stadium, as market value would be so much harder to determine. I would suggest though that in the case of Ashton Gate, the accounts of Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd would be a starting point in terms of valuation. That would imply a valuation very much lower than for example the amount Sainsburys were prepared to pay.

Registering Ashton Gate as an ACV is something that has occurred to me during the process of saving my local pub, but then I was in a minority in both objecting to Ashton Vale and a view that Ashton Gate is financially viable.

You're right, they are two separate things.

We can register Ashton Gate Stadium as an Asset of Community Value under the 2011 Localism Act. This simply gives interested parties (supporters) an option to be alerted to any potential sale and a chance to bid. The ink is drying on the application as we speak, although we have said to the football club that we would hold off submitting it until all the necessary permissions and clearances have been approved for the redevelopment.

That's great news.

I know at least a dozen other football stadiums have been designated as ACV, Leicester City's being one of the last.

Archived