IGNORED

Idiot

What might be helpful is if people that have hurt or injured any part of their anatomy other than their shins on the back of a seat in an all seater football stadium could come forward and make themselves known. So that appropriate protective equipment for different body parts can be issued to fans on entering all-seater stadia.

For example, along with Leroy's suggested shin pads, we could kit fans out with skateboarders elbow and knee protectors, cricketers batting gloves, thigh pads and 'abdominal' protectors, gridiron helmets and shoulder pads, rugby buggers gum shields, and so on. Or just be done with it and ask people to come to football dressed up for 90 minutes of ice hockey. No-one will be admitted to an all-seater stadium without the full Wayne Gretzky. It might become known as "Leroy's Law."

They'll have to make the turnstiles and the seats bigger at the revamped AG though. And the bogs.

The fact he's named as the former Torquay manager.. for 10 minutes..

As for his argument, yeah if people surge forward in a standing area someone will whack their head on the metal bar, but to say it's less safer than sitting is nonsensical, I remember Sheffield United away when we had to win to stay in the promotion race in 2008, we scored and then all the idiots behind surged forward.. someone had to be taken to hospital for smacking their head on the floor.. Is that safe to you Leroy??

From a health and safety perspective, something is either safe or unsafe.

It makes no sense to say a structure is safe for one type of fan (rugby) and unsafe for another (football). He also choses to miss the point that in many grounds, fans actually are standing in seating areas, which is clearly more dangerous than the proposed safe standing areas.

This all just panders to the 'football fans are unlike normal human beings' rubbish, so beloved of '80s politicians. If I was of a mood, I would construct a much longer argument showing it was this sterotyping that was much more behind the tragedy of Hillsborough (and the outrageous cover up that then emerged) by allowing fans to be caged in like animals, rather than standing up per se.

I can't think of one pundit who has given this a complete backing. Plenty are on the fence and plenty are against it.

I'm just wondering how many of them attend matches as a fan? I bet most are guests of the clubs they visit, corporate hospitality, best seats etc. If they had to find a parking space like a fan, sort out tickets and pay for them, queue to get in, queue for food, toilets etc, be emotionally involved like a fan... I would think their experience of what they want,and what they expect,from a football match might be very different.

From a health and safety perspective, something is either safe or unsafe.

It makes no sense to say a structure is safe for one type of fan (rugby) and unsafe for another (football). He also choses to miss the point that in many grounds, fans actually are standing in seating areas, which is clearly more dangerous than the proposed safe standing areas.

This all just panders to the 'football fans are unlike normal human beings' rubbish, so beloved of '80s politicians. If I was of a mood, I would construct a much longer argument showing it was this sterotyping that was much more behind the tragedy of Hillsborough (and the outrageous cover up that then emerged) by allowing fans to be caged in like animals, rather than standing up per se.

Right on the ball, sir.

I'm just wondering how many of them attend matches as a fan? I bet most are guests of the clubs they visit, corporate hospitality, best seats etc. If they had to find a parking space like a fan, sort out tickets and pay for them, queue to get in, queue for food, toilets etc, be emotionally involved like a fan... I would think their experience of what they want,and what they expect,from a football match might be very different.

I think the only pro footballer I remember standing on the terraces was Chris Garland at the old Open End, more years ago than I care to think about.

As someone who has had a season ticket for 30 years and supported for many years before that standing in the enclosure, I would not want to be sat in an area with these seats. The problem being if every body wants to stand then fine, in which case you may as well have just a rail, but if I want to sit down and bobby fat boy on either side of me want to stand, then they are likely to stand and lean forward onto the rail in front (not just lean against the back), this would mean my view would be obscured of most of the pitch. Therefore do not see how you can mix standing and seating in the same area.

Not against standing and agree where fans are standing in seated areas this is much more dangerous, but not convinced of this solution.

Also will be interesting impact on capacity as the pitch of the terrace will need to be step to allow someone seated to look over them, particularly if the standing person is 6' plus.

He's got dodgy knees (remember how he ran?), he likes to sit down now, leave him be! And he needs the media work, and has worked out that ill-thought out, potty opinions that are at odds with current thinking get you noticed. And more media work.

We don't need to get so upset because he's against "our" safe-standing. Safe-standing happening is not going to hinge on Leroy's support. He's okay.

Archived