IGNORED

Whose Actually Harder...rovers Or City ?

The Humble Realist

So don't know if its just me but I think there has been a rise in number of posts discussing 'firms' and hooliganism /fighting....now personally I find the actual holliganism part alien but the bantering on here seems pretty childish !

Comments like 'the rovers lot will run scared like always '...surely on the rovers forum they just say ' the city lot will run scared ' ...my point is to me it seems rather childish and stupid but can anyone offer an explanation as to why anyone posts about it or gets involved in it ...are all the posters about 12?

Maybe I'm just as guilty for posting another topic on it and no I'm not 12 !

Well I thought it was a fair question if nobody else did. I'm 58 and have watched football all my life, but never involved in the "behind the goal" singing & fighting scene, which feels very alien.

Seems to me there are micro communities in each crowd and very different lives are brought close together. Reading about these on the forum is all part of the interest, even if the celebration of hatred gets a bit tiresome at times.

Bourgeois and happy to confess it!

Well I thought it was a fair question if nobody else did. I'm 58 and have watched football all my life, but never involved in the "behind the goal" singing & fighting scene, which feels very alien.

Seems to me there are micro communities in each crowd and very different lives are brought close together. Reading about these on the forum is all part of the interest, even if the celebration of hatred gets a bit tiresome at times.

I am on a totally different planet to you but understand your comment, sadly i am the same age but obviously was brung up in a different mind set....loved to have a row wheras you probs were sat in a skull having a row....funny old world....take care you punt :thumbsup:

Get on the coach to Colchester mate, but leave your Waitrose bag and your broadsheet, and your lovely manners, behind. Let go a bit

This is a sensible post! The majority of supporters don't actually get involved in fights these days. It just that a lot like to talk about it. Anything more than handbags at 12 paces and they'd run a mile.

This is a sensible post! The majority of supporters don't actually get involved in fights these days. It just that a lot like to talk about it. Anything more than handbags at 12 paces and they'd run a mile.

Too right. Rovers was handbags at 3 paces and not for the faint-hearted. But remember, we are the over-50s, the "Legends," the top, top old "boys," no-one will be running a mile, mate. Motto: "We Never Run (A Mile. Only as far as we can)"

Never understood the scene/crowd who go to football games with fighting being the primary goal, with the football taking a secondary priority.

Reeks of sad old stuck in the past alcos and barely out of school chavs who have nothing better to do with their time.

The whole 'this chap supports a different football team to me and therefore it would be good to punch him in the face' thing just never caught on with me for some reason.

Never understood the scene/crowd who go to football games with fighting being the primary goal, with the football taking a secondary priority.

Reeks of sad old stuck in the past alcos and barely out of school chavs who have nothing better to do with their time.

The whole 'this chap supports a different football team to me and therefore it would be good to punch him in the face' thing just never caught on with me for some reason.

Agree with this. Walking out from the Peterborough game I had a couple youth shout "****" in my face (had my city shirt on). Just laughed back at him, anyone who wants to fight over a football match needs a bit more focus in their life

I'm fairly certain that random violence towards strangers who happen to support a different football team to yourself is a perfectly valid way of showing your support for Bristol City. Imagine, without these hordes to defend our honour then the East End may have been 'taken', just the way our reputation was greatly enhanced by the way we could 'take' other clubs pieces of terracing where we weren't supposed to stand.

We people that find this sort of thing alien, nay abhorrent, really should take a long, hard look at ourselves and recognise that the only reason we have a club to support is through the courage of, and daring deeds being carried out by, the few for us, the many.

When Ashton Gate is rebuilt, then there should be a memorial wall somewhere bearing the names of 'Big Rog', 'Frank the Knife', 'Black Tony' (to prove we're not racist) and many others that ensured our mighty club can carry themselves with pride, knowing that there are people out there prepared to bleed for the club, regardless of what the overpaid pansies on the pitch might be doing. In fact, may I go so far as suggesting a statue being erected in their honour? It would be a far more fitting image than John Atyeo. After all, the top lads never go away, Atyeo was merely a player and retired.

Nah.

Far better, let's erect a statue to those who leave the Dulmoan 10 minutes before the end. Alternatively, how about a prawn sandwich as a mark of respect for those supporters who are part of the 'sit down, shut up' brigade that have done so much to ruin the atmosphere and make it passionless, sterile match day experience nowadays.

Agree with this. Walking out from the Peterborough game I had a couple youth shout "****" in my face (had my city shirt on). Just laughed back at him, anyone who wants to fight over a football match needs a bit more focus in their life

I think I may have :laugh:'ed at the very same youths one kid was skinny and blonde, I just ignored them. There were a few more kids hanging about near one of the underpasses on the way to the train station. You can read it 2 ways either petulant children or something more sinister, either way its a little bit sad.

Akin to self-indulging, ego-centric obesity.

Worked in a nursing capacity and drank with people who have both described an addictive buzz from it.

Appreciate it's highly anti-social but its a psychological/emotional background to it.

Appreciate we all need to take responsibility for our actions and cot

Archived