IGNORED

Well Mr Lansdown

old_eastender

So the Rovers board, with their relatively modest assets, have achieved what you have not - delivering a brand new stadium fit for the next generation of football fans for their club.

Meanwhile you seem to have waved the white flag and given in to a rag-tag collection of protestors over AV. Instead of papering over the cracks of AG, why are we not going all out to get this 'village green' nonsense status overturned - as has already happened elsewhere. Then you could deliver a genuine lasting legacy of your reign.

I saw my first match at AG over 40 years ago, back then you could park a car within 10 minutes walk of the stadium easily, and City have always been the top club in the Bristol. With their new stadium, if (a very big 'if' I know) Rovers get some success on the field, then they could be better placed to attract the young football fans of tomorrow than us. After all to watch at AG, I now have to get to the ground at least an hour before kick-off just to find a parking space within 20 minutes walk and season-by-season that situation is getting worse and worse.

hopefully seeing the Rovers achieve their new ground might give you fresh impetus to fight again for AV?

So the Rovers board, with their relatively modest assets, have achieved what you have not - delivering a brand new stadium fit for the next generation of football fans for their club.

Meanwhile you seem to have waved the white flag and given in to a rag-tag collection of protestors over AV. Instead of papering over the cracks of AG, why are we not going all out to get this 'village green' nonsense status overturned - as has already happened elsewhere. Then you could deliver a genuine lasting legacy of your reign.

I saw my first match at AG over 40 years ago, back then you could park a car within 10 minutes walk of the stadium easily, and City have always been the top club in the Bristol. With their new stadium, if (a very big 'if' I know) Rovers get some success on the field, then they could be better placed to attract the young football fans of tomorrow than us. After all to watch at AG, I now have to get to the ground at least an hour before kick-off just to find a parking space within 20 minutes walk and season-by-season that situation is getting worse and worse.

hopefully seeing the Rovers achieve their new ground might give you fresh impetus to fight again for AV?

Not wishing to knock you but I believe the Ashton Vale ground may have been worse for car parking. Sure, there would have been more on site but there would be a lot less capacity in surrounding roads etc. Like it or not the best way to improve access is to improve public transport; if the line to portishead had been opened up and a station opened near Ashton Gate that would have helped access to Ashton Gate greatly (it would have also benefitted a ground at Ashton Vale).

Regardless, I don't think this is the last we have heard of a new football ground for BCFC; I fully expect the redevelopment of Ashton Gate to be an interim measure utilised up until the point where 27000 capacity becomes insufficient (which frankly is unlikely to be anytime soon).

SL's legacy wil be 2 new stands - that's 1 more than HD who is still fondly remembered now - and modernisation of the whole ground.

Plus the gratitude of many fans who are more than happy to stay at City's traditional home rather than move to a new ground that might end up being almost as dreadful as UWE appears to be.

I think it's wrong to blame SL for the problems associated with Ashton Gate / Ashton Vale. He could persevere with Ashton Vale but the village greeners will drag out the appeal process for years. His one big mistake was to not put a fence and keep out signs around the site when he bought it. That would have prevented a village green appeal.

As for parking, things have changed a lot in 40 years and parking is worse anywhere in Bristol. There are many more cars on the road and many of the problems have been caused by the local council

I saw my first match at AG over 40 years ago, back then you could park a car within 10 minutes walk of the stadium easily, and City have always been the top club in the Bristol. With their new stadium, if (a very big 'if' I know) Rovers get some success on the field, then they could be better placed to attract the young football fans of tomorrow than us. After all to watch at AG, I now have to get to the ground at least an hour before kick-off just to find a parking space within 20 minutes walk and season-by-season that situation is getting worse and worse.

So is SL to blame for the council's incompetence, the silly village green legislation that is now being rolled back (but too late for us), the increasing prosperity that has led to more cars on the road and increased pressure on parking, or the failure to provide you with your own personal parking space next to the ground?

Frankly, some people deserve Downs football :grr:

Not wishing to knock you but I believe the Ashton Vale ground may have been worse for car parking. Sure, there would have been more on site but there would be a lot less capacity in surrounding roads etc. Like it or not the best way to improve access is to improve public transport; if the line to portishead had been opened up and a station opened near Ashton Gate that would have helped access to Ashton Gate greatly (it would have also benefitted a ground at Ashton Vale).

Regardless, I don't think this is the last we have heard of a new football ground for BCFC; I fully expect the redevelopment of Ashton Gate to be an interim measure utilised up until the point where 27000 capacity becomes insufficient (which frankly is unlikely to be anytime soon).

100% spot on.

Parking at AV would arguably be worse than AG. Anyone who thinks parking would be easier just because there would be more onsite spaces hasn't considered the big picture.

I also think that a redeveloped AG will still be far better than rovers new ground. For starters it will be bigger but I also believe it will have more character and better facilities. Furthermore, sharing AG with Bristol rugby will do a lot for it commercially and raise the status of the stadium even more.

In reference to village green status's being over turned elsewhere and the sags being granted a new stadium, does that not provide weight to our argument and put us more in favour of a stadium at Ashton vale?

Surely it can't be right for one team and not another?

Too late for us I'm afraid.  The recent changes restrict future TVG applications only.

SL's legacy wil be 2 new stands - that's 1 more than HD who is still fondly remembered now - and modernisation of the whole ground.

Plus the gratitude of many fans who are more than happy to stay at City's traditional home rather than move to a new ground that might end up being almost as dreadful as UWE appears to be.

Couldn't agree more.  :yes:

For the majority of clubs at our level, being knocked back on plans to build a new, state of the art stadium would probably mean having to accept redevelopment of the existing stadium as the only other option. In most cases , budget constraints would probably mean a partial redevelopment at best, because of budget constraints. 

We are very fortunate to have an owner with sufficient wealth and commitment to afford almost total redevelopment of AG as an interim measure, but still retain the plan to build AV,  even it takes a time to overcome the VG objections.

One thing I would like to know is how the sags can afford the new stadium for one, and the upkeep for another? they will never have enough fans to even get half capacity. I guess some of the money would come from sainsbury's but that wouldnt cover it all.

By all means tell me if I'm wrong as I am only guessing.

The AV site HAS NOT been registered as a TVG

No need to shout.  I didn't say it had been registered.

But, as my post was 14 words long, I can understand why you didn't read the whole thing.

Which means it applies to City.

Not sure - the NIMBYs applied for TVG status before the changes were introduced.

But they haven't delivered a brand new stadium, They've delivered an artist's impression of one, which they've done several times before.

Will believe it when I see it.

What have you heard that seems to suggest he's waived the white flag? As far as I've heard they've just said they'll move on with the development of AG.

As yet, I haven't heard a single thing about the future of AV from SL.

I for one would like to thank SL for helping to keep this club going off the pitch whilst those on it seem to have been hell bent on ruining us. Nimbys have in the past, and will in the future, continue to hold back this city for years to come. Thanks Steve for your vision and efforts!!

What have you heard that seems to suggest he's waived the white flag? As far as I've heard they've just said they'll move on with the development of AG.

As yet, I haven't heard a single thing about the future of AV from SL.

That's what I read in to this. The OP is moaning Lansdown has given in to the protestors not his fault at the process. But as far as I am aware isn't the JR hearing delayed?

MM

That's what I read in to this. The OP is moaning Lansdown has given in to the protestors not his fault at the process. But as far as I am aware isn't the JR hearing delayed?

MM

Agreed, I get the impression that SL and Co. have effectively delayed everything until a more suitable time.

One thing I would like to know is how the sags can afford the new stadium for one, and the upkeep for another? they will never have enough fans to even get half capacity. I guess some of the money would come from sainsbury's but that wouldnt cover it all.

They might do well to leave room for a dog track round the pitch, and motorbikes, and maybe keep some rugby posts in a shed up there on site, just in case they find it a challenge going it alone. Just to be on the safe side...

They might do well to leave room for a dog track round the pitch, and motorbikes, and maybe keep some rugby posts in a shed up there on site, just in case they find it a challenge going it alone. Just to be on the safe side...

Not much goodwill in Bristol for the gas.

Bristol Rugby club supporters will never forgive them for nicking their ground, thousands of others in Horfield and Glos. Road area didn't want the Memorial Ground flattened, or a Sainsburys, and are now alienated, and of course not much love for them from the Red two thirds of the City..

No wonder they're relocating outside Bristol again, most Bristolians can't stand them.

Not much goodwill in Bristol for the gas.

Bristol Rugby club supporters will never forgive them for nicking their ground, thousands of others in Horfield and Glos. Road area didn't want the Memorial Ground flattened, or a Sainsburys, and are now alienated, and of course not much love for them from the Red two thirds of the City..

No wonder they're relocating outside Bristol again, most Bristolians can't stand them.

So Rovers are going to have to manage by themselves then? Something they have not been able to do since, what, since WW2 when they sold Eastville to the greyhound racers?

MM

BCC withdrew their defence of the JR and agreed to reconsider whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

Effectively we're back to square one, with Ross Crail reappointed to chair a public inquiry into whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

At the moment, no date has been set for when that inquiry will take place.

BCC withdrew their defence of the JR and agreed to reconsider whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

Effectively we're back to square one, with Ross Crail reappointed to chair a public inquiry into whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

At the moment, no date has been set for when that inquiry will take place.

yet in some peoples view this was Lansdowns fault that the council ****** up

• Admin

I thought that was being covered by having student accomodation for the UWE on site?

Not his fault, but someone clearly misled him before he purchased that land - I wonder if any action could be taken by SL over this?

They'll be houses on that land in the next 10 years, Lansdown will fight for it its just a shame it won't be used for football

Archived