IGNORED

Well Mr Lansdown

old_eastender

If you think Steve Lansdown has failed Bristol City, then send him over to us please.

If, as seems likely, you do stay at Ashton Gate, you will still have a stadium than most clubs would be proud of (even before redevelopment).

I think some football fans just like a moan, a few of us stayed in Newcastle last weekend and I was chatting to a cabbie and telling him how I had seen Rovers get a draw up there on my last visit, and how different the stadium is now, but he just went on a massive whinge about how Geordies were starved of success and deserved better. He did shut up for a bit when I pointed out we had just lost 4-0 to Hartlepool though.

So is SL to blame for the council's incompetence, the silly village green legislation that is now being rolled back (but too late for us), the increasing prosperity that has led to more cars on the road and increased pressure on parking, or the failure to provide you with your own personal parking space next to the ground?

grr:

Of course not. But it's right to question whether he shouldn't have done a better job of seeing some of that coming. It's called risk management and it's pretty fundamental for someone at his level in a big company. And he got it badly wrong.

To be fair, so did I, and so did lots of us. The town green thing seemed like the least of the hurdles. But we're not in SLs position, and he really did seem to misjudge the potential for the town grew to scupper it all.

So the Rovers board, with their relatively modest assets, have achieved what you have not - delivering a brand new stadium fit for the next generation of football fans for their club.

Ok, lets put some things in perspective here.

The Rovers board have NOT delivered a new stadium as yet. When they HAVE delivered their shiny new stadium then you can take a poke at SL.

Also, when they HAVE delivered their new stadium please feel free to come to the cemetery and dig me up so I can have a good look myself.

Basically what they are proposing is a large complex of student flats with a playing field in the middle of it.

BCC withdrew their defence of the JR and agreed to reconsider whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

Effectively we're back to square one, with Ross Crail reappointed to chair a public inquiry into whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

At the moment, no date has been set for when that inquiry will take place.

Thanks for a bit more clarity.

Who sets the date and when will it be?

I thought that basically BCC had followed an incorrect process in splitting the application for a VG and therefore the part registration was incorrect. 

If there was evidence of usage of part of the site within the 20years then the new review should automatically reject the original application.

Why are we delaying?

Sorry to bring this up againg but we appear to have lost all previous postings on this.

Not his fault, but someone clearly misled him before he purchased that land - I wonder if any action could be taken by SL over this?

Or, more likely, the risks were presented but were considered by the club to be insignificant.

BCC withdrew their defence of the JR and agreed to reconsider whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

Effectively we're back to square one, with Ross Crail reappointed to chair a public inquiry into whether the site should be registered as a TVG.

At the moment, no date has been set for when that inquiry will take place.

In response to the question about why are we delaying, perhaps we're waiting for Ross Crail to retire, as she's about as "impartial" as I'd be.

Of course not. But it's right to question whether he shouldn't have done a better job of seeing some of that coming. It's called risk management and it's pretty fundamental for someone at his level in a big company. And he got it badly wrong.

To be fair, so did I, and so did lots of us. The town green thing seemed like the least of the hurdles. But we're not in SLs position, and he really did seem to misjudge the potential for the town grew to scupper it all.

this is called hindsight and is easy

predicting the future however is not, how many fans predicted that the dog walkers would de-rail it? none so if no one could predict what had happened what chance did lansdown?

suppose we have to blame him for something since the teamhave been doing reasonably well recently and the 30 million quid he gave us for nothing has quickly been forgotton

So the Rovers board, with their relatively modest assets, have achieved what you have not - delivering a brand new stadium fit for the next generation of football fans for their club.

Meanwhile you seem to have waved the white flag and given in to a rag-tag collection of protestors over AV. Instead of papering over the cracks of AG, why are we not going all out to get this 'village green' nonsense status overturned - as has already happened elsewhere. Then you could deliver a genuine lasting legacy of your reign.

I saw my first match at AG over 40 years ago, back then you could park a car within 10 minutes walk of the stadium easily, and City have always been the top club in the Bristol. With their new stadium, if (a very big 'if' I know) Rovers get some success on the field, then they could be better placed to attract the young football fans of tomorrow than us. After all to watch at AG, I now have to get to the ground at least an hour before kick-off just to find a parking space within 20 minutes walk and season-by-season that situation is getting worse and worse.

hopefully seeing the Rovers achieve their new ground might give you fresh impetus to fight again for AV?

I dont think he didnt fight do you?  The ground should have been built this year but were still stuck in the legal process for AV...  Hense rebuilding Ashton Gate, its not like he didnt spend a few million fighting it.

Guy Price told me that the club had specifically asked BCC not to reappoint Ross Crail. That has clearly been ignored, for whatever reason...

Perhaps those inside BCC who have been working against AV from day one are still there?

Hindsight or not somebody ****** up, whether it be BCFC legal team or SL, the biggest mistake was not making sure that BCC were following procedure and disclosing everything being thrown up, knowing what a bunch of complete useless amateurs the were, a **** up in procedure was always on the cards, they have got history in that department.

Surely it's not an issue of individuals, the Court have told BCC their process was wrong and to do it again. The TVG application is incomplete, why are they not pushing it? The landowners are in effect just an interested party not part of the process.

Can an individual "ratepayer" not insist that BCC complete the process?

Again what happened to all the old threads on this - appears that only the re-model of AG is of interest.

Ok, lets put some things in perspective here.

The Rovers board have NOT delivered a new stadium as yet. When they HAVE delivered their shiny new stadium then you can take a poke at SL.

Also, when they HAVE delivered their new stadium please feel free to come to the cemetery and dig me up so I can have a good look myself.

Basically what they are proposing is a large complex of student flats with a playing field in the middle of it.

What we need to do is RADICALISE the students.

Let them know what a vile bunch of bnp racist, sexist, mysoginistic, unethical, anti-green,meat-eating, fossil-fuel guzzling, tory voting, war memorial desecrating, supermarket supporting, free-market capitalism backing, student-hating Jeremy Clarksons they are. Unlike ourselves and our wealthy, tax avoiding owner. Set the students on them. They could dig up the pitch, a la Headingly 75, on a Friday night. Or organise a sit-in. Or jam the turnstiles with some bollards. Or something.

Or we could just get 9 old blokes from the csf out of retirement to torch the place again. If they don't mind doing the bird again.

In reference to village green status's being over turned elsewhere and the sags being granted a new stadium, does that not provide weight to our argument and put us more in favour of a stadium at Ashton vale?

Surely it can't be right for one team and not another?

in a fair and just world,no...trouble is all of life is 6/4 against.

So Rovers are going to have to manage by themselves then? Something they have not been able to do since, what, since WW2 when they sold Eastville to the greyhound racers?

The whole point of having a new stadium, is to try and improve the income streams so that the club is largely self funding. Exactly what SL is trying to achieve for you. Both clubs have examples of not being able to "manage by themselves". Hopefully with both teams in new or redeveloped stadia, we can look forwards to an era where Bristol football is slightly less embarrassing.

The whole point of having a new stadium, is to try and improve the income streams so that the club is largely self funding. Exactly what SL is trying to achieve for you. Both clubs have examples of not being able to "manage by themselves". Hopefully with both teams in new or redeveloped stadia, we can look forwards to an era where Bristol football is slightly less embarrassing.

Thank you for clarifying all that, Weeble.

Or, more likely, the risks were presented but were considered by the club to be insignificant.

Speaking as someone who was involved in some of the earlier processes, all be it from the outside and only as a supporter, I found that certain people at the club that I was dealing with, were at best naieve and almost incompetant, when assesing and dealing with the opposition towards both the stadium and supermarket applications. It certainly was not taken seriously until a lot of PR damage had already taken place. The level of and the way the opposition were organised was certainly more professional than that of the club, meaning they were always a step ahead of the club..

Speaking as someone who was involved in some of the earlier processes, all be it from the outside and only as a supporter, I found that certain people at the club that I was dealing with, were at best naieve and almost incompetant, when assesing and dealing with the opposition towards both the stadium and supermarket applications. It certainly was not taken seriously until a lot of PR damage had already taken place. The level of and the way the opposition were organised was certainly more professional than that of the club, meaning they were always a step ahead of the club..

Indeed this is my point. There is no doubt whatsoever that SL has been a massively generous benefactor for our club, the fact that a large part of his money has been wasted by successive managers in piss poor transfer dealings is not SLs fault. But SLs (no doubt very expensive) legal team have had rings run around them by the protestors against AV, whereas the Rovers legal team have seen off the challenge.

For me redevelopment of AG will always be a very poor second choice, compared to the opportunity of a brand new stadium at AV.

Archived