IGNORED

Colchester Ground

allyolly

What a dreadful place to play football.

Atmosphere was like a pre season friendly. Getting to the ground was a nightmare. The seats behind the goal opposite us were white and made the actual goal merge completely with them so was pretty much impossible to see what was going on.

Give me old style grounds any day of the week.

League game with half of one of the side stands closed (the sort of thing we do in LDV round 1). Nuff said.

Thought it was a nice area though and friendly enough people albeit the stewards trying to stop City fans sitting on the empty seats to the right of the goal as we looked at it, was pretty feeble.

Atmosphere was like a pre season friendly. Getting to the ground was a nightmare. The seats behind the goal opposite us were white and made the actual goal merge completely with them so was pretty much impossible to see what was going on.

I kid you not this link is a real photo I took of their ground about 1 minute before the players rolled out!! dead!! great facilities though and cheap food.

http://imgur.com/dpLaiGk

Couldn't agree more.  Going to a ground like that every other week must be awful.

I really think when it comes to new stadiums we should be careful what we wish for.

Bring on UWE!!!

Agree with all of the sentiments above. What a ridiculous place for a stadium to be - middle of nowhere (almost as bad as Rushden and Diamonds in that respect), miles from the railway station and miles from the nearest pub (although an honourable mention goes to the Bricklayers Arms near the main station).

Genuine question: of all the clubs who have moved grounds in the last few years, do any of the new ones represent a better away trip than the stadiums they replaced? I'm struggling to think of any, and for me Polsk Red is bang on the money - be very careful what you wish for.

Agree with all of the sentiments above. What a ridiculous place for a stadium to be - middle of nowhere (almost as bad as Rushden and Diamonds in that respect), miles from the railway station and miles from the nearest pub (although an honourable mention goes to the Bricklayers Arms near the main station).

In fairness Layer Road was miles away as well. About 40min walk if memory serves. At least that ground had character though!

Genuine question: of all the clubs who have moved grounds in the last few years, do any of the new ones represent a better away trip than the stadiums they replaced? I'm struggling to think of any, and for me Polsk Red is bang on the money - be very careful what you wish for.

I would say that the experience of watching Reading is vastly superior now that it was before, speaking as Bristol City fan of course. Whether you like new, bowl stadia or not, The Madjeski has to be one of the better ones, and it is right on the M4, with ample parking nearby, and a couple of great pubs.

I quite liked R& D.  It wasn't miles away from anything, there was a quaint little village with a nice oldy fash pub ,(as I recall), put me in mind of Frenchay, or Old Headington (Oxford).

In fairness Layer Road was miles away as well. About 40min walk if memory serves. At least that ground had character though!

True, it was miles from the main station - the trick with Layer Road was to go to the smaller Colchester Town station, which was much closer. And at least it was in a residential area with a choice of pubs and somewhere to get a bite to eat before the game.

I would say that the experience of watching Reading is vastly superior now that it was before, speaking as Bristol City fan of course. Whether you like new, bowl stadia or not, The Madjeski has to be one of the better ones, and it is right on the M4, with ample parking nearby, and a couple of great pubs.

Would you want to go there every other week though? I certainly wouldn't.

There was a similar debate on the England fans forum some time back - and I don't think any fans of clubs who have moved stadium said they prefer the new to the old (Brighton fans were a bit of an exception given what a dreadful place the Withdean was, although those who remembered the Goldstone would take it back now if they could).

I quite liked R& D.  It wasn't miles away from anything, there was a quaint little village with a nice oldy fash pub ,(as I recall), put me in mind of Frenchay, or Old Headington (Oxford).

It was if you tried to get there by train!

I always said I wouldn't cross the road to see Reading play at home, and I never did. I saw them 30-odd times though. I lived about five doors from Elm Park. I loved the ground, but the Madjeski makes me feel "meh".

What annoyed me was when we got there and parked up , quite early , I had Googled a pub which was not too far away.

Steward 1... no mate no pubs within walking distance , ooo no

Steward 2 ... sorry nothing within walking distance.

Change of tack , check maps and remember the name of the pub....

Steward 3 ... the Dog and Pheasant yeah out that way  about 15 minutes !!

Nice pub with Sky sports and a chip shop next door !

They must be told not to send fans there for some reason. We got there about half twelve and couldn't have gone in if we wanted as the turnstyles were closed , there was the cafe  , they did nearly let us in the boxes at one stage though  :P

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Reading is one of the worst grounds in the country. Their atmosphere is dreadful, the place is dead. It's a Rugby atmosphere just vile.

I'd take Loftus Road (obviously QPR) over the Madjeski all day every day. Like I'd take Ashton Gate over the Ricoh...it scares me what modern football is becoming.

Couldn't agree more...

I can't think of any new ground that has improved the 'football experience'.

Most new grounds are like visiting a soulless shopping mall.

Yes you might get better seats and facilities...but who needs that for 90mins of your life?

It's about the history...the ambience...the local pubs and people...the culture and community...you want to feel it and smell it...taste it. You can't replace that with an 'out of town new ground'.

You need that walk to the ground through all the old streets.

You need to drink in the locals with the opposition fans.

You need the banter and local wit.

The 'struggle' to get their is often half the fun.

Feeling the history of an old ground is such a fantastic feeling.

I've yet to go to a new ground and actually feel it was a better place...bar one...the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff...as you can actually get all the 'feelings' associated with the old one.

That's why I'm so much happier that AG is being redeveloped.

UWE will be in the middle of nowhere

And will be over twice the size of Colchester's ground,I wonder why a second division team (Rovers) want a stadium far to big for their support ?

'Empty seats' will be chanted all around the ground they should build for their support or it will turn out as a white elephant like Darlington !

Archived