IGNORED

England Schoolboys At Ashton Gate Tonight (Merged)

Bert's City

I remember watching the Under 21's at Ashton Gate in 1972 v East Germany. It was a strong team including Kevin Keegan, Alan Hudson and Malcolm MacDonald  - I think they lost 0-1.

Anybody else old enough to remember that one?

Yes, I'm afraid I'm old enough to remember.

England Schools FA U18's v Republic of Ireland are to play at Ashton Gate - Friday 28 March 2014

England defeated Wales 2-1 in their first fixture at the Racecourse Ground.

The opportunity for Chris Smalling to play for England Schoolboys in 2007 saw him scouted for Fulham before moving onto Manchester United and the full England senior squad.

Hopefully other talented players will be on show, hopefully SC will be present.

I remember watching the Under 21's at Ashton Gate in 1972 v East Germany. It was a strong team including Kevin Keegan, Alan Hudson and Malcolm MacDonald  - I think they lost 0-1.

Yep, I saw that one as a kid but it was U23 in those days and not U21

What I remember is that England were absolutely awful that night despite having a fair amount of talent on the pitch

Not sure if it's true, but I think I read somewhere that it was the first time England had lost a U23 match at home?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

22/03/1972, Bristol, Ashton Gate, 20.230

ENGLAND U23 0-1 EAST GERMANY U23 [HT 0-1]

ENGLAND U23:

Phil Parkes  [Queen's Park Rangers]    

Gordon Nisbet  [West Bromwich Albion]   

Frank Lampard  [West Ham United]         

Len Cantello  [West Bromwich Albion]    

Larry Lloyd  [Liverpool]             

Derek Jeffries  [Manchester City]         

Steve Kember  [Chelsea]                 

Mick Channon [southampton]            

Malcolm MacDonald [Newcastle United]   

Alan Hudson  [Chelsea]                

Kevin Keegan  [Liverpool]              

Referee: Brouwer (Netherlands)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember watching the Under 21's at Ashton Gate in 1972 v East Germany. It was a strong team including Kevin Keegan, Alan Hudson and Malcolm MacDonald - I think they lost 0-1.

No but I remember going to a youth international at Eastville between England and Spain, probably about 1975. Ray 'Butch' Wilkins, Bryan Robson and Peter Barnes featured. Which kinda makes you feel a bit old, doesn't it? Also playing for England that night I recall was a young Alan Curbishly, presumably before his property development career really took off.

Didn't they used to include a youngster from the club hosting the match, to try to boost the crowd a little with local interest ? I seem to remember an U21 or U18 game some years ago when a City youngster came on.

I think you are right there.

Correct me if I am wrong but because of this didnt our very own matty hewlett get called up when we hosted a U21 game going back a number of years?

I will be there.  Its an old boys reunion for me and 8 mates as the England manager was our first football coach back in the mid 80's in Glastonbury, he is now at the pinnacle of his schoolboy coaching career so will be good to have a couple drinks with him afterwards. 

He is based in Blackburn now and has coached a number of professionals as they have come through the school system, he is good friends with Frank Fielding as he coached him as a kid also.

England Schools FA U18's v Republic of Ireland are to play at Ashton Gate - Friday 28 March 2014

England defeated Wales 2-1 in their first fixture at the Racecourse Ground.

The opportunity for Chris Smalling to play for England Schoolboys in 2007 saw him scouted for Fulham before moving onto Manchester United and the full England senior squad.

Hopefully other talented players will be on show, hopefully SC will be present.

Hopefully Pemberton and Carlos are watching the 4 Irish lads closely... never mind SC ;-)

Archived