IGNORED

Is Bristol City A 'big Club'?

Paul Cheesey

No. I dont any City fans who think we are.

We are a second divisiob club we the potential to be Stoke, Forest etc. Rovers fans like to think we say we are but wthe truth is we dont. One of my mates is a Leicester fan and he was banging on recently how they were a bigfer club than city. I couldnt make him see that actually we are probably about the same.

If Bristol had historically been a 1 club city then I have no doubt that club would have been huge and far more succesful has a lot of these 'big' clubs made their hay in the list war era up go the 80s.

Its about knowing and understanding you are. For what its worth, we dwarf Rotherham in every way I can think of.

I think it depends on the division we are playing in -

Premiership - we'd be a small club

Championship - we are an average sized club

League One - we are a big club

League Two - how could I put it, it would be like we were the 'Barcelona of League Two'

You only have to look at Forest, who at one time were the best in the world, and see where they are now.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this...?

Surely this is a bit of a one-off, but is proof that football tables of success are far from set in stone.

I doubt Man city would have dared to believe fifteen years ago, that they would usurp their great neighbours, winning the league, playing in the champs league in a new (soon to be) 62,000 stadium.

I grew up at a time when liverpool were king. I can vividly remember thinking they would always be there at the top; anything else was unimaginable. Yet fall they did. Now we are seeing the same with Man utd. The younger fans are so used to success that they believe it is their right, which is why they are so disgruntled and we are seeing such stupid (pathetic imo) things a planes flying banners over the ground because they are ONLY 7th, and ONLY in the quarters of the champs league! God I hate that vile club and their pampered self obsessed supporters.

Now I'm not saying there is the possibility that city could become man city. But I'm sure we could one day compete for a champs league place. Why not? Swansea are in europe.

To answer the original question - let's create seven categories to make it easier:

1. Huge

2. Big

3. Medium-big

4. Medium

5. Medium-small

6. Small

7. Tin pot

Historically, I would put us in number 3, some would say 4.

You'd put us number 3?I What the fudge??!

Here is how I would class these catagories based on an average of the last 20-30 years:

1. Huge - Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelski
2. Big - Spurs, Everton, Villa, Newcastle
3. Medium-big - West Ham, Leeds, Forest, Blackburn
4. Medium - Leicester, Fulham, Birmingham, Charlton, Ipswich, Wolves
5. Medium-small - Barnsley, Reading, Us
6. Small - Rotherham, Orient, Crewe
7. Tin pot - The Gash

Obviously these are arguable and some could be a category higher or lower depending on your point of view, but I'd put us in number 5 or possibly 6. The teams I have mentioned in number 5 have both player in the premier league!

I said historically, meaning entire history, not last 20-30 years.

I based it not only on silverware, but also on league/tier averages, fan base, and attendances (average & record).

Maybe when I get the time (retired?!) I'll write it all up properly, including every club.

Like I said, there.s a very strong case to put us in pot 4, but the fact that bristol is a big city, and we are a club with greater potential than many others in pot 4, I'd suggest imo we could edge a 3;-)

Ok. sod it. I'm biased.

I said historically, meaning entire history, not last 20-30 years.

I based it not only on silverware, but also on league/tier averages, fan base, and attendances (average & record).

Maybe when I get the time (retired?!) I'll write it all up properly, including every club.

Like I said, there.s a very strong case to put us in pot 4, but the fact that bristol is a big city, and we are a club with greater potential than many others in pot 4, I'd suggest imo we could edge a 3;-)

Ok. sod it. I'm biased.

Do you disagree with any of the clubs I have in category 3? If so you think we are as big as them???

Living away from Bristol gives you a real perspective on how we are seen in the footballing world.

We are not even on the map. Sadly...

Lots of different opinions out there though. I had hospitality at Old Trafford a few years back and a few Mancs/ ex players were of the opinion "Bristol" as they referred us as was majorly under performing and should be in and around the prem for the size of City and club we are. 

FWIW I'd put us at a 3/4 in that list ,the only teams "bigger" than us mentioned are Wolves, Leeds and West Ham and they should all be in pot 2.

Lots of different opinions out there though. I had hospitality at Old Trafford a few years back and a few Mancs/ ex players were of the opinion "Bristol" as they referred us as was majorly under performing and should be in and around the prem for the size of City and club we are. 

FWIW I'd put us at a 3/4 in that list ,the only teams "bigger" than us mentioned are Wolves, Leeds and West Ham and they should all be in pot 2.

I live in Manchester and I suspect they were only humouring you.

When we got to the play off final against Hull they genuinely were upset at the thought of a team like Hull or 'Bristol' getting in the premier league and making the league look crap.

Yes we joke about there only being one team in Bristol but, would anyone refer to either of the Sheffield clubs as just Sheffield? Shows how little attention comes our way.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this...?

Surely this is a bit of a one-off, but is proof that football tables of success are far from set in stone.

I doubt Man city would have dared to believe fifteen years ago, that they would usurp their great neighbours, winning the league, playing in the champs league in a new (soon to be) 62,000 stadium.

I grew up at a time when liverpool were king. I can vividly remember thinking they would always be there at the top; anything else was unimaginable. Yet fall they did. Now we are seeing the same with Man utd. The younger fans are so used to success that they believe it is their right, which is why they are so disgruntled and we are seeing such stupid (pathetic imo) things a planes flying banners over the ground because they are ONLY 7th, and ONLY in the quarters of the champs league! God I hate that vile club and their pampered self obsessed supporters.

Now I'm not saying there is the possibility that city could become man city. But I'm sure we could one day compete for a champs league place. Why not? Swansea are in europe.

To answer the original question - let's create seven categories to make it easier:

1. Huge

2. Big

3. Medium-big

4. Medium

5. Medium-small

6. Small

7. Tin pot

Historically, I would put us in number 3, some would say 4.

For me I would put us on number 4.

Huge - Man United, Liverpool

Big - Villa, Everton, Spurs

Medium-Big - Forest, Blackburn, Derby Wolves

Medium - Watford, Charlton, Us,

Medium Small - Doncaster, Bournemouth, Brentford

Tinpot - Fleetwood, Gas, Torquay

For me I would put us on number 4.

Huge - Man United, Liverpool

Big - Villa, Everton, Spurs

Medium-Big - Forest, Blackburn, Derby Wolves

Medium - Watford, Charlton, Us,

Medium Small - Doncaster, Bournemouth, Brentford

Tinpot - Fleetwood, Gas, Torquay

You're missing a category there!

Also I'd bet a lot of money that Watford and Charlton would get mentioned a lot higher in people's list of top clubs in England than we would.

Sadly potential fan base counts for nothing and it shows what a crap job as a whole the club has done over the years...

I live in Manchester and I suspect they were only humouring you.

When we got to the play off final against Hull they genuinely were upset at the thought of a team like Hull or 'Bristol' getting in the premier league and making the league look crap.

Yes we joke about there only being one team in Bristol but, would anyone refer to either of the Sheffield clubs as just Sheffield? Shows how little attention comes our way.

Perhaps. Didn't come across that way though. Also seemed fairly knowledgeable on the club and management. I'd say your mixing with the football fans if they genuinely had that attitude. Newcastle and Wolves to name a few said they loved coming to Bristol when playing us. 

It's quite exciting because it could all take off after a few successful seasons or cup success. That's all it needs! Look at Brighton for example, they were tinpot at the Goldstone stadium, they've had a few good seasons, new stadium and are now averaging 25k in the Championship!

Archived