IGNORED

Is Bristol City A 'big Club'?

Paul Cheesey

It's quite exciting because it could all take off after a few successful seasons or cup success. That's all it needs! Look at Brighton for example, they were tinpot at the Goldstone stadium, they've had a few good seasons, new stadium and are now averaging 25k in the Championship!

We've been saying that for 30 years!

Perhaps. Didn't come across that way though. Also seemed fairly knowledgeable on the club and management. I'd say your mixing with the football fans if they genuinely had that attitude. Newcastle and Wolves to name a few said they loved coming to Bristol when playing us. 

Well yes they live in the premier league bubble but I have mates who support all sorts of teams from the prem right down to the conference. I agree that if we got into the premier league and stayed there a few years then it could all be very different but we were/are very nearly in league 2! We are a million miles away. Having a local government who don't give a flying fart about the club or fans doesn't help as well as (IMO) poor running of the club at board level.

I wish it wasn't the case but it is all very different from the outside looking in. 

It always amazes me how well Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan and Reading have done considering their catchment area... and competition from Clubs nearer them.

With the right owners, board and management, this Club has potential, but until that changes I think we'll be following the path of our history...however good their intentions are.

It always amazes me how well Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan and Reading have done considering their catchment area... and competition from Clubs nearer them.

With the right owners, board and management, this Club has potential, but until that changes I think we'll be following the path of our history...however good their intentions are.

Wigan do shyte considering the borough has a population of 318,000  (yes, I just looked that up!) Rugby League's bigger than football there.

I take your point on Bolton though. Proud history/family traditions I suppose. 

Bristol has a very decent population, but a lot of people in the city were not born there. It has seen the biggest population influx of any major urban area outside London and it shows in many ways -the  Ashton Vale farrago being but one.

Getting these newcomers (and their children) engaged with the club is the big challenge. And to be honest, the only way that's going to happen is by prolonged success.

Clearly we're not a big club now but I really do hope the stadium redevelopment is a watershed for the club and the city.  I hate the term, but it should make the whole "product" so much more appealing to the casual supporter.

I was watching Swansea (I went to uni there) at the decrepit Vetch in League 2 with crowds of 2,000.  Their attendances are more than 10x that now and there can be no doubt the new stadium was a big factor in their success.  Few would have predicted in 2004 how big they would become a decade later, and even better whilst making a profit year-on-year.  There is no reason why we can't do the same.

Interesting the views the season after we got to the play off final. People were moaning about the bandwagon fans and them not being proper supporters. I don't know how the fans expect the club to grow without bringing in new blood, especially off the back of success. Some people are stuck in their ways and can't accept change I guess.

Interesting the views the season after we got to the play off final. People were moaning about the bandwagon fans and them not being proper supporters. I don't know how the fans expect the club to grow without bringing in new blood, especially off the back of success. Some people are stuck in their ways and can't accept change I guess.

Good point plum.  Also I believe that our play-off final continues to hold the attendance record, despite apparently "bigger" clubs appearing since, which just goes to show the potential is there.

To answer the original question - let's create seven categories to make it easier:

1. Huge

2. Big

3. Medium-big

4. Medium

5. Medium-small

6. Small

7. Tin pot

Historically, I would put us in number 3, some would say 4.

You'd put us number 3?I What the fudge??!

Here is how I would class these catagories based on an average of the last 20-30 years:

1. Huge - Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelski

2. Big - Spurs, Everton, Villa, Newcastle

3. Medium-big - West Ham, Leeds, Forest, Blackburn

4. Medium - Leicester, Fulham, Birmingham, Charlton, Ipswich, Wolves

5. Medium-small - Barnsley, Reading, Us

6. Small - Rotherham, Orient, Crewe

7. Tin pot - The Gash

Obviously these are arguable and some could be a category higher or lower depending on your point of view, but I'd put us in number 5 or possibly 6. The teams I have mentioned in number 5 have both player in the premier league!

I believe there should be a "Piss-pot" category, too. And a "Tea-pot" one.

I would have Rovers down one notch, so:

7. Tin-pot: Fleetwood, Burton, Morecomb

8. Piss-pot: Rovers, Torquay.

9. Crack-pot: (space available and waiting here for Rovers)

Tea-pot would be something like a 6b.

Some would have clubs like us under another category: Des-pot. But I'm not getting into all that here....

Archived