IGNORED

Is Bristol City A 'big Club'?

Paul Cheesey

Once they bring in residents' parking around Southville, and a new one-way system, we'll have that fixed.

Good. Anything that makes us "not an easy place to go" is to be welcomed. We've lost far too many home games in recent years.

Eastville, now that was an easy place to go, once the M32 was built...

Once they bring in residents' parking around Southville, and a new one-way system, we'll have that fixed.

Our new card reader system, a constant engaged tone on the phones and extra checks on entry at the EastEnders have helped enormously.

It has been disappointing how many fans failed to recognise these positive policies in the greater scheme.

Fair play to adidas too for playing their part with the training kit.

I'd say we're one of the biggest in league 1, but if we were in the Championship we wouldn't make the top half in terms of club size. We're probably on a par with teams like Millwall/Huddersfield. Would say Burnley but even they have played Premier league football and they will be again next season.

Wigan do shyte considering the borough has a population of 318,000  (yes, I just looked that up!) Rugby League's bigger than football there.

I take your point on Bolton though. Proud history/family traditions I suppose. 

Bristol has a very decent population, but a lot of people in the city were not born there. It has seen the biggest population influx of any major urban area outside London and it shows in many ways -the  Ashton Vale farrago being but one.

Getting these newcomers (and their children) engaged with the club is the big challenge. And to be honest, the only way that's going to happen is by prolonged success.

I personally think Wigan do amazing considering the competition from other bigger Clubs nearby.

Plus as you say Rugby League is big their.

Perhaps. Didn't come across that way though. Also seemed fairly knowledgeable on the club and management. I'd say your mixing with the football fans if they genuinely had that attitude. Newcastle and Wolves to name a few said they loved coming to Bristol when playing us

Because they are usually gifted three points.

We are a club some where in tier 3 or 4.

I don't believe that trophies has anything to do with the "size" of a club. 

Luton, Swindon, Wimbledon, Wigan, Oxford, Barnsley for example, have all won a major trophy, whereas we haven't.

I don't consider any of them as a "bigger" club than us.

Man U fans (their proper fans), have always claimed their club as the "biggest" in this country, and it probably always has been.

This applied even when they had won just a handful of titles compared to Liverpool's 19.

Not sure that's the case. Didn't Wolves dominate in the 1950s and earlier on there was Burnley and all sorts...

Having the biggest heads (and mouths) doesn't make you "the biggest club".

Not entirely sure what you mean by this...?

Surely this is a bit of a one-off, but is proof that football tables of success are far from set in stone.

I doubt Man city would have dared to believe fifteen years ago, that they would usurp their great neighbours, winning the league, playing in the champs league in a new (soon to be) 62,000 stadium.

I grew up at a time when liverpool were king. I can vividly remember thinking they would always be there at the top; anything else was unimaginable. Yet fall they did. Now we are seeing the same with Man utd. The younger fans are so used to success that they believe it is their right, which is why they are so disgruntled and we are seeing such stupid (pathetic imo) things a planes flying banners over the ground because they are ONLY 7th, and ONLY in the quarters of the champs league! God I hate that vile club and their pampered self obsessed supporters.

Now I'm not saying there is the possibility that city could become man city. But I'm sure we could one day compete for a champs league place. Why not? Swansea are in europe.

To answer the original question - let's create seven categories to make it easier:

1. Huge

2. Big

3. Medium-big

4. Medium

5. Medium-small

6. Small

7. Tin pot

Historically, I would put us in number 3, some would say 4.

Man Utd wont fall from grace like Liverpool did.

Not sure that's the case. Didn't Wolves dominate in the 1950s and earlier on there was Burnley and all sorts...

Having the biggest heads (and mouths) doesn't make you "the biggest club".

Correct. Going back even further, Huddersfield dominated this country for a few years.

No, never have been.

We have won absolutely nothing of consequence in our entire history.

Not a cup of any meaning, or been top of the top league on the last day of the season.

We never will as things stand.

You only have to look at Forest, who at one time were the best in the world, and see where they are now.

Sustained success over 30 years (top-flight membership, forays into Europe, Cup wins etc) make you a big club.

We never will in my lifetime, and unless a new 60,000 seater stadium that we fill comes along, we won't be in my childrens either.

Sad, but true.

The day we win a league, or the day we win a significant cup will make all the pain throughout the years worth it.

Its what being a fan of a lower league club is all about

We are a club some where in tier 3 or 4.

I don't believe that trophies has anything to do with the "size" of a club. 

Luton, Swindon, Wimbledon, Wigan, Oxford, Barnsley for example, have all won a major trophy, whereas we haven't.

I don't consider any of them as a "bigger" club than us.

Swindon won the league cup (69), before it really became what we now call a "major" trophy. It was still in its infancy and had only just switched to holding the final at Wembley. That season, when Swindon won it, Man Utd didn't participate. Everton didn't the following year when they had won the League and had the European cup to contest instead. The big clubs didn't always bother. Swindon beat Arsenal at the end of the 60s, a dismal decade for Arse. They had Bobby Gould up front. Nuff said. Swindon won a competition a bit like the Full Members Cup in the 80s. Rotherham contested the first final, ffs. It became a "major" trophy in the 70s (when we made the semis)

I'm sure that Swin fan on here will confirm all this. And that Oxford definitely won it when it was a "major" pot

Surely...we should all be looking at the bigger picture and forgetting what has or hasn't happened in the past.

We should all be looking at what BCFC is now...what has gone has gone.

We have an owner that is loaded and passionate.

We have a board that is imho, inexperienced and prone to error...as well as the owner.

If we could get someone on board, that the owner and board can work with, that know's about modern football....then I think we may just have a future.

I still have a gut instinct that BRFC and Bristol Rugby may have a direct influence on which direction we are taking...but given the wealth and capacity to attract fans...it just needs some direction.

Wigan do shyte considering the borough has a population of 318,000  (yes, I just looked that up!) Rugby League's bigger than football there.

I take your point on Bolton though. Proud history/family traditions I suppose. 

Bristol has a very decent population, but a lot of people in the city were not born there. It has seen the biggest population influx of any major urban area outside London and it shows in many ways -the  Ashton Vale farrago being but one.

Getting these newcomers (and their children) engaged with the club is the big challenge. And to be honest, the only way that's going to happen is by prolonged success.

Picking up on the bolton thing, I've always had the impression and felt like the North tend to support their local teams more than the South.

Generally from my experience, if you ask someone where they are from and then who they support, chances are the answer is the same. I watched the Manchester derby from a sports bar in Hull, and you'd hardly have known there was a "big" game on. Not exactly packed and very few "fans" of either side, certainly not wearing colours anyway.

Compare that to down south, I bet every bar in Bristol was packed full of United "fans"

In terms of Bristol City. Are we a big club? Iv been supporting City for around 20 years and in that time we've spent most of our time in League 1 / Division 2. So no, I wouldnt class us as a big club, however, Swansea and Hull are in the Prem but I wouldnt class them big from my time following football.

The potential is there, just look at those two mentioned clubs. Swansea were in League 2 not long ago, and they have proved what happens with the right support and management.

In terms of Bristol City. Are we a big club? Iv been supporting City for around 20 years and in that time we've spent most of our time in League 1 / Division 2. So no, I wouldnt class us as a big club, however, Swansea and Hull are in the Prem but I wouldnt class them big from my time following football.

The potential is there, just look at those two mentioned clubs. Swansea were in League 2 not long ago, and they have proved what happens with the right support and management.

Your two examples there, Swans and Hull, both enjoyed new ground impetus. Will a spruced up AG do anything remotely similar for us?

Your two examples there, Swans and Hull, both enjoyed new ground impetus. Will a spruced up AG do anything remotely similar for us?

Problem is i think it was more than just the new ground, but lets hope so.

Meanwhile, watch Rovers do a darlington!

Imo we're a medium size club that has been under performing for decades that should be fighting for the play offs in the championship every year with the odd visit to the premier with a swift return back to the championship. The problem then being everyone thinking we should be able to stay up which we've struggled to even maintain at championship level & the money we'd waste thinking we can stay up as we are great at throwing that away. If we'd managed to keep fighting/getting into the play offs at championship level I think all our glory supporting fans would then become loyal. The fact is we just keep under performing when we got the potential to become a mid/lower tabled premiership team that be fighting relegation most seasons with the odd decent season fighting for Europa league/cup runs but would take a couple decades getting there if we could do that successfully we could then be fighting for a Europa spot regularly but we'd need to not get delusions of grandeur like our first season back in the championship for years for that.

Archived