IGNORED

The Generation With No Bristol Derby

JM91

Would we benefit from Bristol Rovers actually doing well?

it's admittedly hilarious that the Barcelona of League Two are about to become the Bayern Munich of the Conference, but are we missing something with their plight?

like many people now I have grown up with very little sense of rivalry with Bristol Rovers, despite verging on 24 I can only really remember several tin pot games and a friendly.  the last time we were in the league I was 11/12 ish.

When you combine the three major sports (football, rugby and cricket) I would hazard a guess that with the exception of Bath we probably have the lowest attendance to population ratios of any major English city. 

In an age of social media, where everything spreads so quickly, would our club benefit from a rivalry which in some ways could actually bring people in?  fact is we can't fill our stadium as it is and that's not through a lack of people, and even when we were mid table in the championship we weren't exactly selling out. 

Realistically, I can't remember a time when our clubs were even close to being on level pegging. even in the season where we were both promoted we came 2nd while they snuck into 7th on the last day and rode their luck. Would a renewed rivalry be of any benefit or should we just enjoy the green eyed blue few rotting in their own turmoil?

It's never actually been enjoyable on the pitch mate. I am now the wrong side of 50 and remember times when they actually believed they were better than us..... Stupid things like beating Man United in the Watney Cup, giving us a hiding at Twerton under Joe have scarred me. Apparently they were "massive in the 50's" but that's before my time.

In truth, the lower they sink and the further the distance apart the better it is for me. Just like in life, it's easier to dislike from a distance than to actually face up and tell em what they are like face to face.

It's a dark place when you lose to the blue few I assure you.

Don't know what others who have actually watched the derby games think, but that's my 2 penneth and first time I've posted so obviously touched a nerve, Cheers.

Historically we have always done better when the blue few are doing well, so would we swallow the bitter pill of a gas promotion in order move ourselves up to maintain the status quo?

Or shall we just laugh at them instead in the Ugly White Elephant?

It's never actually been enjoyable on the pitch mate. I am now the wrong side of 50 and remember times when they actually believed they were better than us..... Stupid things like beating Man United in the Watney Cup, giving us a hiding at Twerton under Joe have scarred me. Apparently they were "massive in the 50's" but that's before my time.

In truth, the lower they sink and the further the distance apart the better it is for me. Just like in life, it's easier to dislike from a distance than to actually face up and tell em what they are like face to face.

Don't know what others who have actually watched the derby games think, but that's my 2 penneth and first time I've posted so obviously touched a nerve, Cheers.

100% this, and good first post. People wanting them on a par with us, be careful what you wish for!!! We've enjoyed 14 unbroken years of looking down on them and laughing at their bitterness as we've scaled heights theyve never reached in their history. Its been wonderful and long may it continue.

100% this, and good first post. People wanting them on a par with us, be careful what you wish for!!! We've enjoyed 14 unbroken years of looking down on them and laughing at their bitterness as we've scaled heights theyve never reached in their history. Its been wonderful and long may it continue.

14 bad years for us yes, but the heights that city scaled are no longer happening remember, you've gone from Certs for the prem to bottom of L1 in a few seasons. Not really anything to be shouting about is it mr sung???? In fact people keep talking about us and the conference but you are closer to going down than us :laugh:

14 bad years for us yes, but the heights that city scaled are no longer happening remember, you've gone from Certs for the prem to bottom of L1 in a few seasons. Not really anything to be shouting about is it mr sung???? In fact people keep talking about us and the conference but you are closer to going down than us :laugh:

Top half of League 1 to a struggling League 2 team would worry me more. IMO we needed relegation to shake the club up a bit.

And how many places above the drop are you?

Well I remember the 89/90 season and finishing below them, albeit we were also promoted automatically. Those days of the late 80s when they had the moustache squad  were great for rivalry because they actually had players you could name, unlike now. We had some great ding-dongs (3-3 at AG) back then (and didn't we have 3 goals disallowed?) I remember having nothing but pure hatred for Alex Ianander (amongst others) for the "treatment" dished out to Dave Smith. Utter disgrace. Didn't they also have the Millwall manager (forget his name. . . ) playing for them as well????

Good times :city:

The difference between the two clubs:

Our ambition is to get into the Championship/Premier League

Their ambition is to beat us

While they are in a lower league they can't achieve their main objective so that has to be a plus. They need the derby a lot more than we do.

I remember a fair few league games against them. I don't think they've ever beaten us at a game I've attended. The really memorable one in my mind was the 3-2 at Ashton Gate in December, I can't remember the year but highlights are on the club's youtube channel. I never particularly enjoyed the derbies more than other games, though I wouldn't mind them being in the third tier as then we'd have six points before a ball was kicked.

I have never recovered from being kept in the away end at Trumpton by the old bill while they celebrated promotion, Irene blasting out over the loud speakers while Francis with his mullet conducted the players over near the dugout.

Then there was the JPT regional final defeat and "Gas Mania" as the commentator called it up at the Mem.

There is nothing to compare with beating them but beware you youngsters the pain of defeat lives on for a long time.

My hatred knows no depths and I live for the day that they vanish into oblivion and the Conference.

I have never recovered from being kept in the away end at Trumpton by the old bill while they celebrated promotion, Irene blasting out over the loud speakers while Francis with his mullet conducted the players over near the dugout.

Then there was the JPT regional final defeat and "Gas Mania" as the commentator called it up at the Mem.

There is nothing to compare with beating them but beware you youngsters the pain of defeat lives on for a long time.

My hatred knows no depths and I live for the day that they vanish into oblivion and the Conference.

I managed to get out and away from all that crap , I vowed never to go to whichever ground they were squatting at from that day, and I've stuck to that.

My first derby game, a 4-1 at Eastville and it doesn't get much better,  but also suffered through their short 'will you ever beat ...' years , would not miss them if they went POP !

I managed to get out and away from all that crap , I vowed never to go to whichever ground they were squatting at from that day, and I've stuck to that.

My first derby game, a 4-1 at Eastville and it doesn't get much better,  but also suffered through their short 'will you ever beat ...' years , would not miss them if they went POP !

I'd forgotten they used to sing that "will you ever beat...."

The answer, with hindsight, to that is (was) "Yes." To which we might have added, "when we lower ourselves sufficiently to have to play you."

In fact people keep talking about us and the conference but you are closer to going down than us :laugh:

Seriously, how do work that out.......

we are 15th with 46 points, 6 points off relegation spot and 5th in the form table with 1 defeat in the last six. Our last 5 games are against teams currently below us

you are 20th with 46 points, 6 points off relegation spot and 21st in the form table with 1 win in the last six. Your last 5 games include the current league leaders and 2 games away against teams fighting relegation (I'll just remind you that you've only won once away all season!)

Now tell me who's closer to relegation........

I think this whole stadium business has taken your eye off the ball and you dont realise, again, how close you are to relegation to the conference

I view that lot as irrelevant, and have done for years now, and I didn't think it would bother me in the slightest if they ceased to exist, I must admit our game early this season gave me so much fun, an almost perfect football day, the afternoon cider party in the park in glorious sunshine, playing ' spot the sag' along the natch wall, the game , our goals, the wild celebrations ! Have lived with the pain of defeat a few times in the distant past as well, so mixed feelings really.

I'm really on the fence with this, and there are 2 possibilities that I would prefer to the status quo.

Option 1 Rovers get relegated and disappear as a league entity- therefore making city the only real option for local emerging young fans and we benefit from a bigger support base etc and hopefully this would influence future success.

Option 2 'rivalry!' A stronger a Rovers team that pushes us. I remember the 80's and loved a meaningful derby , checking their results because they mattered! Some cross Bristol banter! Pride in getting one up on them! It also gives the players a sense of being Bristolian and pride in the shirt- I doubt for a second that JET, Baldock and co are even aware of the Gas let alone sense the rivalry. The days of the pantomime villain- Holloway, Alexander, Penrice etc also added to the fayre. Having that real local derby and rivalry adds to the spirit and experience of being a fan.

Either of these options is preferable to the poor show in Bristol currently, and I for one would accept either gladly. (But option 1 is probably better!)

I view that lot as irrelevant, and have done for years now, and I didn't think it would bother me in the slightest if they ceased to exist, I must admit our game early this season gave me so much fun, an almost perfect football day, the afternoon cider party in the park in glorious sunshine, playing ' spot the sag' along the natch wall, the game , our goals, the wild celebrations ! Have lived with the pain of defeat a few times in the distant past as well, so mixed feelings really.

You should of popped over the other side of Ashton gate and played spot the sag.. You would of ran out of fingers counting very quickly. Or would you

You should of popped over the other side of Ashton gate and played spot the sag.. You would of ran out of fingers counting very quickly. Or would you

Funny you should say that,I know quite a few who are going to do exactly that if we ever play you again.

The gas, the gas, we've finally got rid of the gas!

The eagerly waited South Glos Rovers vs Forest Green Rovers will sure to be a classic in the coming years..

Nothing suggests the Bristol Derbys will come back soon, they just appointed a conference manager FFS :laugh: talk about leaning into the punch.. :boxing:

Not that I'll shed a tear when it all goes tits up for them in their latest project.. But I do feel sorry for them.. well sort of.. Actually NAH :clapping:

Seriously, how do work that out.......

we are 15th with 46 points, 6 points off relegation spot and 5th in the form table with 1 defeat in the last six. Our last 5 games are against teams currently below us

you are 20th with 46 points, 6 points off relegation spot and 21st in the form table with 1 win in the last six. Your last 5 games include the current league leaders and 2 games away against teams fighting relegation (I'll just remind you that you've only won once away all season!)

Now tell me who's closer to relegation........

I think this whole stadium business has taken your eye off the ball and you dont realise, again, how close you are to relegation to the conference

Don't try to make sense with a gashead, he'll just drag you down to his stupidity level and beat you with experience..

couldn't agree more. Us on the wrong side of 50 don't need them.

Funny you should say that,I know quite a few who are going to do exactly that if we ever play you again.

Well NOTR,

I doubt if anyone will be that bothered..

Apart from all the knob heads on the pitch waving there bums at gas heads and throwing corner flags and bottles of piss, the ones in south bristol were left alone... Perhaps city's gone soft?? Just sayin like..

Archived