IGNORED

Call Yourself Fans

John Galley

i don't want all bad or our man flint anywhere near our first team. i reserve the right to prefer williams and osbourne as our first choice and nosworthy as a great short term cover appointment.

i am a supporter since 1967 and will not apologise for getting on a players back, if they are playing badly.

When Cotts joined us, didn't he say he preferred to play with a back 4 but we didn't have the right players in place at the time?

Maybe Cotts has signed the likes of El Abd to play in a 4 next season when he will, hopefully, have the players to play that formation? I do agree that El Abd has looked lost in a 3 / 5 man back line but I will give the lad time, especially if Cotts does go to a 4 next season.

Maybe taking him out of the firing line until that situation occurs would be the best option? Maybe we will learn something when Nosworthy's loan ends next week?

Where's he going to play him in a 4? Not CB in front of Osborne, Williams or Flint, surely? Nor at FB I hope.

I am sick and fed up at so called fans who get on the backs of players. Give Adam El Abd a chance he has played at a far higher level than us and the Brighton fans have seen a lot more of him than us, so are in a better position to rate him, which they do and very highly. He has signed 3 year contract and is moving his family down, so he is going nowhere. Some players take longer to settle than others and need the fans support not booing them. I remember Brian Tinnion going through the same thing years ago and he turned out to be a City Legend, so give Adam your support and he may surprise you.

Other than the use of "so called fans", a phrase I generally expect to be used by pompous MPs and Daily Mail readers, having paid my money I'll boo who I want.

I don't think he's the worst central defender we've had. And I think he'd have been an improvement in several of our defensive line ups over the past few years. The problem right now is that we have got three decent players in Williams, Osbourne and Nosworthy, all of whom are better central defenders that El Abd on current form, so why keep playing them out of position to accommodate him. Don't get it. I would never boo him, but I don't think it makes me any less of a fan to express that view.

Where's he going to play him in a 4? Not CB in front of Osborne, Williams or Flint, surely? Nor at FB I hope.

I don't know Rog, just trying to put a different perspective on it. Cotts must have bought him for a reason especially given the lengthy deal he gave him.

All I'm saying is maybe we haven't seen EL Abd in his favoured formation, which appears to be in a 4. Give him that formation next season and we might be proven wrong. At the moment (I didn't go yesterday as I'm out of the country) he looks like a very expensive liability so there must be more to it.

What is a fact is that Karleigh, Williams, Nosworthy and Flint are ahead of him ATM.

Can we afford to give any player a "chance",in the league position we are in at the moment, and after going to the gate for over 40years, I think I can call myself a fan!!!!??????

Same here skinhead. I wasn't saying give him a chance this season but have an open mind next season IF Cotts does revert to a back 4. He definitely needs some time out of the firing line now though!

Flint has improved massively (Nothing do with El Abd being out the side) (oh wait it coincides remarkably)

Before Christmas we have a run and the defence looked solid. Flint the ball winner, Osbourne and Williams covering. Signed El Abd and we declined in defensive solidity (I don't think he's shocking just used at a very wrong time)

Apart from the OG at Brentford Flint looked good in all the games after Christmas more comfortable then before anyway. Shrewsbury away, He was solid, Tackling strong and winning headers then he got injured. If he can carry on from the end of this season to next I think he'll start to prove his worth

Hopefully the same goes with El Abd

Flint is a very poor football player.

I challenge anyone to tell me he's better than Osbourne, Nosworthy and Williams.

He's a ruddy great donkey and won't ever be anything more.

He "wins headers" - well there is closing your eyes and blindly heading it forward anywhere and there is bringing it down and thinking about where you play it.

I've seen Williams do the latter and Flint often do the former .

El-Abd may well have been a better player than we see now. I think he's past it and too slow now. Bit like Louis Carey.

I challenge anyone to tell me he's better than Osbourne, Nosworthy and Williams.

He "wins headers" - well there is closing your eyes and blindly heading it forward anywhere and there is bringing it down and thinking about where you play it.

El-Abd may well have been a better player than we see now. I think he's past it and too slow now. Bit like Louis Carey.

Had he been uninjured I'd have preferred Flint to el-Abd yesterday. At least he would've dealt with Preston's aerial attack better. He also scores occasionally.

El-Abd's low centre of gravity and beefy build means he can shield the ball well. There seems little else in his technical locker however and he is a constant red-card-in-waiting.

Hopefully the manager learns from the fact he had to sub him at half-time.

I've also seen Williams make countless errors trying to play it out when you wish he would stick his head on it and get it away.

He's not as good as the others but I would rather him than El Abd after Nosworthy goes. Simples

Had he been uninjured I'd have preferred Flint to el-Abd yesterday. At least he would've dealt with Preston's aerial attack better. He also scores occasionally.

El-Abd's low centre of gravity and beefy build means he can shield the ball well. There seems little else in his technical locker however and he is a constant red-card-in-waiting.

Hopefully the manager learns from the fact he had to sub him at half-time.

El abd gets turned very easily,has no pace to catch up the player who turns him hence the holding of shirts etc. he is not good enough in the air for a central role ,and he is constantly on a card. He was a mistake . I hope cotts wont pick him on pressure or personality just performance, so that should be his last game .he worries me so he must worry those around him.

El abd gets turned very easily,has no pace to catch up the player who turns him hence the holding of shirts etc. he is not good enough in the air for a central role ,and he is constantly on a card. He was a mistake . I hope cotts wont pick him on pressure or personality just performance, so that should be his last game .he worries me so he must worry those around him.

For our best back four..maloney nosworthy osbourne cunningham. Surely its that simple. Cotts can change the two wide boys with wagstaff ,williams without causing a problem.

Archived