IGNORED

Call Yourself Fans

John Galley

I am sick and fed up at so called fans who get on the backs of players. Give Adam El Abd a chance he has played at a far higher level than us and the Brighton fans have seen a lot more of him than us, so are in a better position to rate him, which they do and very highly. He has signed 3 year contract and is moving his family down, so he is going nowhere. Some players take longer to settle than others and need the fans support not booing them. I remember Brian Tinnion going through the same thing years ago and he turned out to be a City Legend, so give Adam your support and he may surprise you.

I don't blame el abd, I blame Cotts for starting him, he is clearly struggling massively.. whether it's personal reasons outside football or he needs to adapt to this kind of level, he's been a disappointment

We have a settled back 4, 3 now and imo el abd should be nowhere near it..

I agree he deserves a chance. But I do think he should stop believing his own hype and just play football. His continual fouling of the opposition is unnecessary and has already nearly cost us points, and it was the right decision to sub him at HT.

I am sick and fed up at so called fans who get on the backs of players. Give Adam El Abd a chance he has played at a far higher level than us and the Brighton fans have seen a lot more of him than us, so are in a better position to rate him, which they do and very highly. He has signed 3 year contract and is moving his family down, so he is going nowhere. Some players take longer to settle than others and need the fans support not booing them. I remember Brian Tinnion going through the same thing years ago and he turned out to be a City Legend, so give Adam your support and he may surprise you.

what he did for brighton is irrelevant. it's how he plays for city that matters.

If we sign a barnet striker who their fans don't rate and he goes on to score 25 goals a season are we suppose to think he's crap because he was at a lower level?

I don't mean to be snidey but the words along the lines of "so called fans" really get on my nerves, who in the hell are you to qualify what counts as a fan?

I don't blame el abd, I blame Cotts for starting him, he is clearly struggling massively.. whether it's personal reasons outside football or he needs to adapt to this kind of level, he's been a disappointment

We have a settled back 4, 3 now and imo el abd should be nowhere near it..

as i said before,i think he should stay at failand matchdays, for the rest of this season at least until we are mathematically safe.

giving the man a chance is all well and good,when you can afford to take chances,until we are safe it is not.

watching El Abd today its clear he sows uncertainty among the back 4 (5)

lots of pointing and shouting to no apparent purpose - he regularly lost his man, and aimless running acros the backline just disrupted the formation.

Osbourne in particular spent lots of time shouting at him to get into position.

he looks nervous and likely to commit a foul every time he tries to tackle - (that yellow card was laughable as he'd let his man get away from him all too easily) his reputation as a 'hard man' seems to mean he has to behave like a headless loon, which is a liability.

remember (ooh) Shaun Taylor? a leader, who was calm, committed and a proper CB - El Abd is far, far from that. the other back line players do not seem to understand what is going on when he is on the pitch (inc Fielding)

Osbourne and Williams are streets ahead

He has had a chance. on his debut he was to blame for the first goal. Then almost cost us 3points at Peterboro and always looks like a red card waiting to happen. As for moving his family? He has come from Brighton not the Bahamas. Fact is we look poor when he plays and far better when he isn't.

Apreciate what you are saying and you are correct...negativity helps nobody......but don't forget that sometimes certain players just dont fit the clubs they move too despite everything seeming right at the time of the move..(Nicky Hunt anyone?) the important thing is for managment to recognise this early and plan to stop any situation getting worse.... 

IMO he is clearly not right in our team at the moment and needs to spend time as cover on the bench or be dropped completley but having said that if SC  gives him the shirt then we have to back him even though everytime he is on the ball i feel more nervous than a 12yr old sat on Jimmy Saville's knee ...

Do you know what? I really didn't think he was too bad first half, well, certainly no worse than Nosworthy or Pack.

However his selection completely imbalanced the defence, Osborne was transferring the ball over to his right foot all first half and Williams is certainly no wing back.

I thought Nosworthy would come off but El-Abd got booked (when he got caught out by a player running at him when given no cover) so it was him who got the hook.

And guess what? We suddenly looked far better balanced with players in their natural positions.

Those who cheered his substitution (and they did, not Greg Cunningham coming on) are morons, however.

He has signed 3 year contract and is moving his family down

I think that he's probably moving them up not down!

I heard no booing today although there was a spirited cheer around the ground when the change was announced at the start of the second half. I don't know how many games he's played for us to date but in honesty, he's yet to demonstrate his credentials as a stalwart championship defender. By now, I think that we would have expected to see some evidence.

We ALL want him to do well for us. Nobody wants the club to have thrown away yet more money on another failed signing but El Abd needs to show us what he can do - especially if he's rewarded with his place back in the team immediately after completing a three match ban ... that treatment is generally reserved for those whom a team can't afford to be without. I'm not yet convinced of his right to this accolade. are you?

We have signed two defenders from Championship clubs this season. Nosworthy has shown us why he has made a good career for himself at Championship and, indeed, Premiership level. El Abd has not so far. He has really struggled. He did "take one for the team" with the booking but only because he got himself in an awful position in the first place.

He did do alright in the first 15 minutes but then struggled again. The problem with his inclusion today was that Williams had to play in a position that made the team imbalanced. Williams is a Centre Half and his footwork is simply not up to playing at Wing Back. Cunningham comes on, Williams goes back to where he should be and all of a sudden we looked a different team.

I blame JET for the goal in that he tried to dribble past a player after the free kick was hit into the wall and you don't do that on the edge of your own box. 5 seconds later the ball has been shifted across the pitch and boom, it's 0-1. But that error apart we defended pretty solidly second half. A definite improvement.

I felt we set up for a point and got one. Nothing was more evident to me than the time Fielding was taking with goal kicks until we went behind. Had we really wanted to win we should have brought Burns on at Half Time with Cunningham. I'm convinced we would have won if we had done that.

Too many fans appear too eager to get on someone's back.  Yes, he hasn't had the best of starts, but I think the best win - win situation will be in us backing him.

It wasn't long ago that some were writing off Wade Elliot after 2 games and now he looks a fabulous player.  

I didn't notice anybody getting on EB's back, and the cheer when GC came on for the 2nd half was, I think, one of relief as it was patently obvious that SC's starting selection was a nonsense. I heard his pre match on RB where he said he was playing EL Bad because he was 'tough' and that was needed against Garner, and Williams was a young lad still learning the game!

what he did for brighton is irrelevant. it's how he plays for city that matters.

If we sign a barnet striker who their fans don't rate and he goes on to score 25 goals a season are we suppose to think he's crap because he was at a lower level?

I don't mean to be snidey but the words along the lines of "so called fans" really get on my nerves, who in the hell are you to qualify what counts as a fan?

Perhaps I should have use the word SUPPORTER - someone who supports. I agree that El Abd has not been impressive so far but what I am saying is that getting on his back does no good at all!

Do you know what? I really didn't think he was too bad first half, well, certainly no worse than Nosworthy or Pack.

However his selection completely imbalanced the defence, Osborne was transferring the ball over to his right foot all first half and Williams is certainly no wing back.

I thought Nosworthy would come off but El-Abd got booked (when he got caught out by a player running at him when given no cover) so it was him who got the hook.

And guess what? We suddenly looked far better balanced with players in their natural positions.

Those who cheered his substitution (and they did, not Greg Cunningham coming on) are morons, however.

The same morons booed when el abd's name was called out when they announced the teams

Perhaps I should have use the word SUPPORTER - someone who supports. I agree that El Abd has not been impressive so far but what I am saying is that getting on his back does no good at all!

We support the team but if players are constantly poor then it becomes increasingly frustrating to see a player perform like that time and time again.

Not just the fact he has performed badly but he is a complete liability regarding discipline to.. he's asking to be booked/sent off virtually every game with the way he plays and that's not really what the team needs or wants given the position and situation.

Hope SC has the intestinal fortitude to drop him.

Remind me how many goals PNE scored during the first half whilst El Bad was playing !

Not quite that simple though because we had NOTHING going forward. I could have kept a clean sheet for Preston first half (having said that I was impressed with their Keeper). Fielding made a very good save to preserve the clean sheet and Preston's finishing was very poor first half. Another ref on another day would have sent El Abd off because the lad would have been clean through on goal. Fortunate to get the yellow. He had to be substituted no question. Williams was the problem - he does not have the footwork to be playing wing back and the only reason he was there was to accommodate El Abd.

Second half we put Cunningham on the left and Williams back in the middle and we looked twice the team. And looked more solid at the back too. The goal conceded was an individual error by JET - it happens - but with the belated introduction of Burns we then had enough to get back in the game and only a shocking miss by Barnett denied us the three points. I defy anyone to claim we looked better in the first half when El Abd was playing.

Archived