IGNORED

10 Reasons To Leave The Eu....

Mr Mosquito

Out of interest, what powers does Catherine Ashton have?

An interesting question. She has the power to represent the EU position in 'various meetings' you say. As the non-elected High Representative of the EU for Security Policy she also had, by turning up in the Ukraine to bolster support for the protesters, the power to provoke Putin over the Crimea and now the eastern Ukraine. To spread the influence of the EU to the Urals, why else would the EU be wooing the Ukraine? In the latest IMF table for 2013 for per capita GDP the Ukraine comes in at 107th place, way, way below Greece at 42  and Bulgaria even at 69. EU involvement there was purely political, that much should be obvious to anyone and look what a hornets' nest they stirred up. Unfortunately their policy backfired as many there obviously see Mother Russia (58th) as a better alternative than a distant Brussels.

An interesting question. She has the power to represent the EU position in 'various meetings' you say. As the non-elected High Representative of the EU for Security Policy she also had, by turning up in the Ukraine to bolster support for the protesters, the power to provoke Putin over the Crimea and now the eastern Ukraine. To spread the influence of the EU to the Urals, why else would the EU be wooing the Ukraine? In the latest IMF table for 2013 for per capita GDP the Ukraine comes in at 107th place, way, way below Greece at 42 and Bulgaria even at 69. EU involvement there was purely political, that much should be obvious to anyone and look what a hornets' nest they stirred up. Unfortunately their policy backfired as many there obviously see Mother Russia (58th) as a better alternative than a distant Brussels.

Interesting that you regard a pug-ugly woman turning up in a country as being sufficient justification to invade a soveriegn nation

Have you considered that it was The Ukraine who approached the EU over closer links because they have a relatively poor GDP as a result of being so economically reliant on Russia?

Interesting that you regard a pug-ugly woman turning up in a country as being sufficient justification to invade a soveriegn nation

Have you considered that it was The Ukraine who approached the EU over closer links because they have a relatively poor GDP as a result of being so economically reliant on Russia?

'Pug-ugly' ? Very harsh and very non-PC. Are Guardian readers allowed to use such language these days? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the poet once said.

I think you have your head well and truly buried in the sand over this one.

'Pug-ugly' ? Very harsh and very non-PC. Are Guardian readers allowed to use such language these days? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the poet once said.

Well I don't think pugs have much of a voice in modern society, but I'll prepare my public apology for when it's demanded. I think that your view what's happened through the lense of your particular agenda and view point. Even if you're correct though and the EU were intentionally stirring disquiet in the Ukraine (which would of course be dispicable), it still wouldn't justify Russia annexing part of another country

To all Labour Party zealots their unelected EU High Priestess is a beauty Queen.......

catherine_ashton-300x226.jpg

Isn't that the problem with the EU in a nutshell?

The unelected appointing the unelected?

Arguably, but it's no different to any other governmental organisation; civil servants appoint other civil servants to their jobs. Ultimately the civil servant doing the appointing is put there by an elected member of parliament. I don't think her job title or high profile particularly give the impression of a civil servant over a member of a government (in the UK context) though

Archived