IGNORED

Government Spending On The Eu

Paddy31

How can you possibly define what percentage of UK Government spending went to the EU in 2011/12 from that?

Define 'spending on the EU' - absolutely ridiculous.

The pair of you just get more desperate by the month.

It's stunts like this that infuriate people. Games and lies. Twisting facts and figures. Pretty graphs.

It's really simple - a huge amount of people no longer want to be in Europe - why is that so hard for you lot to understand?

All we need now is someone awesome to chip in - where's backward robin?

PS: for those who aren't actually keen on disclosure - this is over 2 years old.

I did mention that it was 2011/12 in the original post.

I can define it as "government spending on the EU" because that's what it is. It is the amount of money that the UK government spent on membership of the EU according to figures from a variety of sources and quoted in the Guardian. I truly don't think it is a stunt or a trick. I posted it because I thought that it might be surprising for some people.

I do understand that a number of people would like to withdraw from the EU. Many of them cite the expense of EU membership as one of their reasons.

I do understand that a number of people would like to withdraw from the EU. Many of them cite the expense of EU membership as one of their reasons.

VAT was introduced by Edward Heath's EEC loving traitor Tory government to pay for the then EEC membership. VAT now stands at 20%. So, everytime I make a purchase 20% goes directly to the EU project. Very few items are now VAT exempt. Getting out of the EU and paying 20% less for items such as clothes, beer, diesel, football match tickets etc certainly appeals to me. Then there's the inflated cost of food due to our EU membership.

The European Union is absolutely in the UKs interests.

It's a huge trading bloc and in today's global market it's imperative to be within a large strong bloc.

The EU provides stability, market strength and great opportunities for our people.

It'd be sad to have a group of isolationist little Englanders scaremonger a populace who don't really understand or appreciate the benefits of membership into giving it up.

VAT was introduced by Edward Heath's EEC loving traitor Tory government to pay for the then EEC membership. VAT now stands at 20%. So, everytime I make a purchase 20% goes directly to the EU project. Very few items are now VAT exempt. Getting out of the EU and paying 20% less for items such as clothes, beer, diesel, football match tickets etc certainly appeals to me. Then there's the inflated cost of food due to our EU membership.

Do you think that if we left the EU, VAT would be abolished? Really?

Tell me more about the inflated cost of our food. Any chance you could cite some sources?

It's a huge trading bloc and in today's global market it's imperative to be within a large strong bloc.

The EU provides stability, market strength and great opportunities for our people.

It'd be sad to have a group of isolationist little Englanders scaremonger a populace who don't really understand or appreciate the benefits of membership into giving it up.

Vladimir Bukovsky knows what Britain's future will be like within the EU project, because he once suffered in a similar regime..........

Well done, that post contains no fact or attempt at quantifying what's there.

Still keep branding anyone that doesnt share your view as a "little Englander". Your opinion became void when you admitted you cant even manage the contents of your wallet.

Well done, that post contains no fact or attempt at quantifying what's there.

Still keep branding anyone that doesnt share your view as a "little Englander". Your opinion became void when you admitted you cant even manage the contents of your wallet.

To be fair though, Paddy31 has posted a quantifiable fact in the opening post and has been accused of distorting statistics and peddling propaganda. I think we need to accept that there are people on both sides of this particular discussion that aren't going to change their minds

How can you possibly define what percentage of UK Government spending went to the EU in 2011/12 from that?

Define 'spending on the EU' - absolutely ridiculous.

The pair of you just get more desperate by the month.

It's stunts like this that infuriate people. Games and lies. Twisting facts and figures. Pretty graphs.

It's really simple - a huge amount of people no longer want to be in Europe - why is that so hard for you lot to understand?

All we need now is someone awesome to chip in - where's backward robin?

PS: for those who aren't actually keen on disclosure - this is over 2 years old.

Unfortunately most of the Little Englanders - often Sun readers and Jeremy Kyle style folk - are so thick it's pointless trying to explain the benefits of EU Membership to them.

Much easier to keep to simple England = Good, All Foreigners = Bad view of life.....

Unfortunately most of the Little Englanders - often Sun readers and Jeremy Kyle style folk - are so thick it's pointless trying to explain the benefits of EU Membership to them.

Much easier to keep to simple England = Good, All Foreigners = Bad view of life.....

I'm really not sure you're helping here chief. I'm with you all the way on the pro-EU stuff, but you're coming across as a touch.... Snobbish?

Not to mention the little EU 4th Reichers that have sold their country's sovereignty out to an unelected despot ridden, hopelessly corrupt and criminally led European Empire.

I'm really not sure you're helping here chief. I'm with you all the way on the pro-EU stuff, but you're coming across as a touch.... Snobbish?

I'm sorry but it's true.

A load of so called "can't stand the EU" comes from people who've been fed the outright xenophobic nonsense of UKIP and really have no fricken clue of the benefits of us being a major integral part of one of the largest no-barrier trading blocs in the world!!

Xenophobia plays on ignorance.

Does the EU and government really matter?

Would anyone notice if they both just disappeared?

They only thing I've noticed with the government is Student prices have risen and the amount of tax I pay has increased. Not one thing has bettered me with any government

so what's the point? What do they do?

I actually write this from Milan right now. I'm living what they do.

Barriers of trade no longer exist anywhere in the bloc, a UK company can trade outright alongside Italian ones freely.

The UK is part of a free trade zone which is one of the largest in the world.

It is also part of a trading bloc which is equal in power to the USA. Think that's a good thing?

Try trading with the US just as the UK and watch the one way traffic demands.

Britain in Europe is the best thing we could want.

VAT goes to the EU. That's interesting - and entirely fictitious.

Ah UKIP - A party built on fear and xenophobia.

Daily Mail anyone?

You seem to have this "gift" of stereotyping people who will be voting for UKIP.

What a wonderful view of hundreds of thousands of people from all walks of life you have. Maybe it's you who's the odd one out.

I'm sorry but it's true.

A load of so called "can't stand the EU" comes from people who've been fed the outright xenophobic nonsense of UKIP and really have no fricken clue of the benefits of us being a major integral part of one of the largest no-barrier trading blocs in the world!!

Xenophobia plays on ignorance.

That may be true, but labelling those who don't see the benefits as "Sun reading Jeremy Kyle-watchers" is a little crass and I also think dangerous. If you dismiss those who want out of the EU as idiots and not worth your time then you're essentially leaving the floor open for them to say whatever they like, which is basically what Cameron and Milliband did with Nigel Farage

Plus, you can see the benefits of the EU whilst working in Milan, but the chronically unemployed bloke sat at home watching Jeremy Kyle probably does see no direct benefit in membership of the EU and so it's easy for someone like Farage to point the finger at the EU for him not having a job. In actual fact the deposition of sections of the working class to a 'benefits class' was the fault of the Tory party that Nigel was (I believe) a member of back in the 80s when the damage was done, but that is for another debate

I suspect a wum Chip. No-one could actually say those sort of things with a straight face.

Or an agenda.

I'm going for wum and am posting accordingly.

I did consider if was you, Gobbers or Raderino on a wind up SX! ;-)

Even if it's a wum, I'm sure there are people who think like that so it's worthy of debate IMO

That may be true, but labelling those who don't see the benefits as "Sun reading Jeremy Kyle-watchers" is a little crass and I also think dangerous. If you dismiss those who want out of the EU as idiots and not worth your time then you're essentially leaving the floor open for them to say whatever they like, which is basically what Cameron and Milliband did with Nigel Farage

Plus, you can see the benefits of the EU whilst working in Milan, but the chronically unemployed bloke sat at home watching Jeremy Kyle probably does see no direct benefit in membership of the EU and so it's easy for someone like Farage to point the finger at the EU for him not having a job. In actual fact the deposition of sections of the working class to a 'benefits class' was the fault of the Tory party that Nigel was (I believe) a member of back in the 80s when the damage was done, but that is for another debate

I'm not sure we should get hung up on the whole class thing to be honest.

That's all a bit 19th century.

But we do need to recognize that there is clearly an information gap why so many in the UK can't recognize the clear benefits of us being a part of Europe.

I think it's a fantastic idea, always have.

To be part of one huge no barrier market, free movement of goods, free movement of people. Yes - absolutely in our interest but clearly dangerous guys like UKIP play on ignorance and fear.

That is something that must be combatted.

I'm in favour of the Union, I'm in favour of the single currency, I'm in favour of lowering borders and joining the Schengen.

But first combat the danger of UKIP.

I'm not sure we should get hung up on the whole class thing to be honest.

That's all a bit 19th century.

But we do need to recognize that there is clearly an information gap why so many in the UK can't recognize the clear benefits of us being a part of Europe.

I think it's a fantastic idea, always have.

To be part of one huge no barrier market, free movement of goods, free movement of people. Yes - absolutely in our interest but clearly dangerous guys like UKIP play on ignorance and fear.

That is something that must be combatted.

I'm in favour of the Union, I'm in favour of the single currency, I'm in favour of lowering borders and joining the Schengen.

But first combat the danger of UKIP.

I also think its a great idea and strongly support our membership of the EU. I'm not really sold on the Euro though, the last couple of years have shown the pitfalls of such a centralised currency. However, I think there is a way forward around adopting a single currency for business transactions, I'm just not sure what it is!

I don't disagree with you on the need for information to be put out there; unfortunately the argument is so politicised that no one seems to be prepared to be open and honest about the whole situation- on either side of the argument. The only thing we can say with certainty is that if the UK were to withdraw from the EU we don't have the first clue what would happen. So really we need someone to come out with the actual facts of what it brings, what it takes away and allow people to make a decision on where they stand free from the alarmist rhetoric peddled by Farage about leaving but with honesty from the pro-EU side about how it effects us and what the tangible benefits are

Just don't start drawing the lines of your information gap along those in society where people 'have' and 'have not'

I also think its a great idea and strongly support our membership of the EU. I'm not really sold on the Euro though, the last couple of years have shown the pitfalls of such a centralised currency. However, I think there is a way forward around adopting a single currency for business transactions, I'm just not sure what it is!

I don't disagree with you on the need for information to be put out there; unfortunately the argument is so politicised that no one seems to be prepared to be open and honest about the whole situation- on either side of the argument. The only thing we can say with certainty is that if the UK were to withdraw from the EU we don't have the first clue what would happen. So really we need someone to come out with the actual facts of what it brings, what it takes away and allow people to make a decision on where they stand free from the alarmist rhetoric peddled by Farage about leaving but with honesty from the pro-EU side about how it effects us and what the tangible benefits are

Just don't start drawing the lines of your information gap along those in society where people 'have' and 'have not'

You seem a bit muddled about this to be honest Chip. I don't think Farage is peddling alarmist rhetoric about leaving, quite the opposite in fact. The latest bandwagon to join is to call him a 'little Englander'. These bandwagons nearly always turn out to be false. I could just as easily term Clegg a 'little European'. Farage's vision is for a UK engaged with the whole world.

As you know my position has remained the same from the outset. It's a political issue, not an economic one. I am convinced that the economics of the situation will remain much the same if we leave. The EU is an undemocratic bloc which brooks no criticism. Witness the situation where former servants are 'discouraged' from criticising the EU as this would mean them losing their very generous pensions. Do you think they would have tolerated this impediment to free speech on the Pnyx of ancient Athens where every citizen could speak his mind unhindered?

Archived