IGNORED

The Confessional

RedRock

I concur with your post...and feel those being negative towards it are a little unfair.

SC was brought in to get us survival.

SoD was brought in to carry out a long term plan.

You only have to witness the difference in guidance outside the first team since SoD left, to see the difference.

People judge managers on performance and results in the first team.

Great if all the Club is moving in the same direction.

We will soon see, if the short term strategy comes into fruition.

I would like to think that SC, or whatever manager is in charge, can implement the guidelines set out at the beginning of the season...soon.

Forget the fact that Burns, Reid and Bryan have all played in the first team.

It's the development and scouting of players that needs to be addressed again.

If the whole Club is singing off the same hymn sheet under a directive, then it will work.

But if we just concentrate on the first team and have short term plans, then we will fail again.

SC needs to have all the development teams playing in a way that is seemless into the first team.

Not the under 18's playing one way and the under 21's playing another way.

Scouting also has to be looking for players of a certain ilk, under a directive...not just...'he looks half decent'.

If those things can be addressed again soon...then hopefully we can move forward together as a unit and not fragmented.

So how did this seemless youth team, development and scouting occur under God, sorry SOD, but not now?

What I see is the U21 side achieving good results, us bringing some good players in (and El-Bad of course, but the previous manager had his failures too) and certain youngsters developing (and others not stepping up to the mark - as happened under SOD with Ajala etc).

You don't get a whole stream of waffle about Five Pillars and Long-term Plans with Steve, but I'm sure he is as keen as any manager to unearth young talent, develop it and have a team style that allows youth team players to break through and fit in, providing they are good enough.

See what I don't buy with Sean O'Driscoll is that he is "a great coach". People who are quoted saying that are people who never watched the side this season. We did assemble a strong-looking side and of course it takes a while for teams to gel - but not 3 months. And it was in coaching that players seemed to be going backwards after initial promise: we couldn't take corners; no-one knew where to stand and who to mark when defending set pieces; players drifted out of position constantly (not just Jet!); the defence seemed unsure of how to clear the ball; basic ball skills seemed to deteriorate etc etc etc....

Ironically, a Gas-style kicking upstairs of Sean might've worked. As DOF he might've continued to attract talent here and oversee the strengthening of the academy.

Cotterill has played Reid, Bryan and Burns this season as well. I suppose you only see what you want to see.

Bryan under SOD: Started 12, subbed on 6.

Bryan under SC: Started 6, subbed on 3.

Reid under SOD: Started 15, subbed on 3.

Reid under SC: Started 12, subbed on 3.

Burns under SOD: Started 0, subbed on 2.

Burns under SC: Started 1, subbed on 19.

Only Bryan has lost out, after what could fairly be described as a very poor season for him. Reid has seen a similar amount of action and Burns has been included far more.

I am only surprised that some question if he is the right man taking us forward. What on earth did you expect ? The play offs ? He took over a club that was rock bottom, that has had 3 years of losing and struggle. The task to create a united, strong, organised team in what, a couple of months, is a huge feat. His results, carried over a season, would take us to the playoffs more or less. What convincing do you need ? I was bemused by his appointment, but facts are facts. His turnaround of the club has been huge, and has shown everything we have missed since GJ. We now look like a club that is going places. The only thing lacking right now, is the fans. Once the fans stop "questioning " and get behind these clear signs of revival, we will stand a chance of replicating our last automatic promotion. We learnt then, that once the whole club gets behind the team, great things can be achieved. That we are "safe" with 4 games to go , is close on a miracle after the total shambles of depression that pervaded through the club and players when he took over.

Oh, and his number 2 is still John Pemberton. Unlike almost any new appointment , he did not change the guy already here. That also says a lot for me.

The other complaint, his interviews. Are fans for real ? who gives a hoot, it is what happens on the pitch. He is fun I think, he defends his players, never says anything bad about them, but you can tell when he is on the rev limiter. You can be sure, he has already had an eye on next season for some time, he will still have issues creating a side for automatic, with players still under contract, others like Jet and Sam potentially up for sale, so his job gets no easier. But if he creates sides that play organised, fight hard, never give in, and play good football. That for me, after 3 years a total dross, is a monumental step forward. I was dubious, but for the first time in 3 years, cannot wait for August, as SC will for sure get a BCFC side playing at the right end of the table and give some pride back to the club.

Be positive, and lets get believing once more.

Fabulous post! Sums it all up really....

I concur with your post...and feel those being negative towards it are a little unfair.

SC was brought in to get us survival.

SoD was brought in to carry out a long term plan.

You only have to witness the difference in guidance outside the first team since SoD left, to see the difference.

People judge managers on performance and results in the first team.

Great if all the Club is moving in the same direction.

We will soon see, if the short term strategy comes into fruition.

I would like to think that SC, or whatever manager is in charge, can implement the guidelines set out at the beginning of the season...soon.

Forget the fact that Burns, Reid and Bryan have all played in the first team.

It's the development and scouting of players that needs to be addressed again.

If the whole Club is singing off the same hymn sheet under a directive, then it will work.

But if we just concentrate on the first team and have short term plans, then we will fail again.

SC needs to have all the development teams playing in a way that is seemless into the first team.

Not the under 18's playing one way and the under 21's playing another way.

Scouting also has to be looking for players of a certain ilk, under a directive...not just...'he looks half decent'.

If those things can be addressed again soon...then hopefully we can move forward together as a unit and not fragmented.

One question why is it that this ahead of his time tactical genius is still out of work?, I seem to recall that your prediction after his sacking (albeit under a different guise) was another forward thinking club will snap him up and he will develop that club into a super team that will overtake us and eventually challenge the world.

One question why is it that this ahead of his time tactical genius is still out of work?, I seem to recall that your prediction after his sacking (albeit under a different guise) was another forward thinking club will snap him up and he will develop that club into a super team that will overtake us and eventually challenge the world.

Whenever I post...you seem to pick up on the SoD issue.

For once and for all... please take note... I don't care about SoD  or SC.

My post is not about defending SoD...he failed with the first team getting results.

What I care about, regardless of which manager is in charge, is what is going on at the Club outside of the first team.

Fans mock the 'five pillars'...but it was put in place for a good reason.

It needs to be followed for the good of the Clubs future, especially now under FFP.

Whether it was SoD, SC or whoever is in charge...it has to be implemented.

Certain fans it seems, have forgotten why we got in this mess in the first place.

They only see the upturn in results in the first team. And everything is rosy again...

So...lets get this straight. I hope SC follows the directive of that five pillars and the Club stick to it and we grow stronger and more stable...and if that's under SC...so be it...it's for the good of the Club..no?

My post is not about defending SoD...he failed with the first team getting results.

What I care about, regardless of which manager is in charge, is what is going on at the Club outside of the first team.

It needs to be followed for the good of the Clubs future, especially now under FFP.

Certain fans it seems, have forgotten why we got in this mess in the first place.

They only see the upturn in results in the first team. And everything is rosy again...

So...lets get this straight. I hope SC follows the directive of that five pillars and the Club stick to it and we grow stronger and more stable...and if that's under SC...so be it...it's for the good of the Club..no?

What makes you question SC isn't following the five pillars. And please don't mention the signings of under 24's because I think the forum will explode.

Because the comments I attributed to you re-SOD were accurate.

When you have clear evidence of SC not adhering to the 5 pillars, please come back and post your evidence, not tittle tattle, evidence, the rest is shit stirring.

Bryan under SOD: Started 12, subbed on 6.

Bryan under SC: Started 6, subbed on 3.

Reid under SOD: Started 15, subbed on 3.

Reid under SC: Started 12, subbed on 3.

Burns under SOD: Started 0, subbed on 2.

Burns under SC: Started 1, subbed on 19.

Only Bryan has lost out, after what could fairly be described as a very poor season for him. Reid has seen a similar amount of action and Burns has been included far more.

Joe Bryan has been injured restricting his games under SC.

But, from what you have shown the records look very similar so I think we can dispel a few myths about SC not giving people a chance.

Because the comments I attributed to you re-SOD were accurate.

When you have clear evidence of SC not adhering to the 5 pillars, please come back and post your evidence, not tittle tattle, evidence, the rest is shit stirring.

You have a serious SoD issue... Like I said...I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT ANY MORE...ITS GONE...

As for shit stirring...no...just saying like it is. My opinion based on what I've seen and heard.

I'm entitled to it.

What you fail to realise, is all these comments are made because I don't want the club to go back to how it was before.

Now...just leave the SoD issue alone will you...  your comments are totally out of context, inaccurate and exaggerated...what do you want...a gold star or something?...childish, immature and playground one up man ship...

My comments are not about how SoD did or how SC is doing with the first team.

SoD said...he would lay down a blueprint, which he was asked to do by the board, for whatever manager was in charge, to follow...for the good of the clubs future. I don't think people realise how bad things were and are down their...even down to the most basics of running a football club. Just one for you...SoD had to bring his kit man down from Doncaster to show ours how it was done and what was expected...it was that bad....Basics...

What I care about, is that the board and owner make sure  that WHOEVER is in charge, implements the proposed strategy that they asked to be put in place

I don't care who it is... just make sure they do it.

Well done to SC on getting us survival... now lets see if he can kick on and do well for us.

What we don't want, is for us to be here 2 years down the line, with another manager, saying I have a team of journeymen and it's a shambles behind the scenes so to speak.

Lets kick on and forget SoD...yes?

We both want the best for the Club...just don't assume all is rosy because of recent results.

You have a serious SoD issue... Like I said...I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT ANY MORE...ITS GONE...

As for shit stirring...no...just saying like it is. My opinion based on what I've seen and heard.

I'm entitled to it.

What you fail to realise, is all these comments are made because I don't want the club to go back to how it was before.

Now...just leave the SoD issue alone will you...  your comments are totally out of context, inaccurate and exaggerated...what do you want...a gold star or something?...childish, immature and playground one up man ship...

My comments are not about how SoD did or how SC is doing with the first team.

SoD said...he would lay down a blueprint, which he was asked to do by the board, for whatever manager was in charge, to follow...for the good of the clubs future. I don't think people realise how bad things were and are down their...even down to the most basics of running a football club. Just one for you...SoD had to bring his kit man down from Doncaster to show ours how it was done and what was expected...it was that bad....Basics...

What I care about, is that the board and owner make sure  that WHOEVER is in charge, implements the proposed strategy that they asked to be put in place

I don't care who it is... just make sure they do it.

Well done to SC on getting us survival... now lets see if he can kick on and do well for us.

What we don't want, is for us to be here 2 years down the line, with another manager, saying I have a team of journeymen and it's a shambles behind the scenes so to speak.

Lets kick on and forget SoD...yes?

We both want the best for the Club...just don't assume all is rosy because of recent results.

You are strange, you say don't talk about the person you don't care about anymore and then mention him a further 5 times.

if your best shot is about the kit man, ex BCFC legend Scot Murray, see where i'm going here?, a guy with a background in professional football not laundry, jesus that is just clutching at straws.

Come back with concrete evidence when your'e right, not what you've heard, because that is the real problem too many alleged ITK's.

You are strange, you say don't talk about the person you don't care about anymore and then mention him a further 5 times.

if your best shot is about the kit man, ex BCFC legend Scot Murray, see where i'm going here?, a guy with a background in professional football not laundry, jesus that is just clutching at straws.

Come back with concrete evidence when your'e right, not what you've heard, because that is the real problem too many alleged ITK's.

Try and understand the context mate...you really are missing the point of the discussion.

SoD had to be mentioned...because he was a previous manager...what do expect me to do, pretend his tenure never existed?

How many times do I need to explain it to you...read the sentiment... don't just fish out sentences to produce an argument that isn't even their...

I've mentioned various issues in previous posts...im not going to go over old ground.

You carry on believing what you believe and i'll do the same.

We'll have to agree to disagree...again.

And as for knowing whether I'm right or not... how else do you find out...unless you speak to people or see it yourself? :facepalm:

I am only surprised that some question if he is the right man taking us forward. What on earth did you expect ? The play offs ? He took over a club that was rock bottom, that has had 3 years of losing and struggle. The task to create a united, strong, organised team in what, a couple of months, is a huge feat. His results, carried over a season, would take us to the playoffs more or less. What convincing do you need ? I was bemused by his appointment, but facts are facts. His turnaround of the club has been huge, and has shown everything we have missed since GJ. We now look like a club that is going places. The only thing lacking right now, is the fans. Once the fans stop "questioning " and get behind these clear signs of revival, we will stand a chance of replicating our last automatic promotion. We learnt then, that once the whole club gets behind the team, great things can be achieved. That we are "safe" with 4 games to go , is close on a miracle after the total shambles of depression that pervaded through the club and players when he took over. 

Oh, and his number 2 is still John Pemberton. Unlike almost any new appointment , he did not change the guy already here. That also says a lot for me. 

The other complaint, his interviews. Are fans for real ? who gives a hoot, it is what happens on the pitch. He is fun I think, he defends his players, never says anything bad about them, but you can tell when he is on the rev limiter. You can be sure, he has already had an eye on next season for some time, he will still have issues creating a side for automatic, with players still under contract, others like Jet and Sam potentially up for sale, so his job gets no easier. But if he creates sides that play organised, fight hard, never give in, and play good football. That for me, after 3 years a total dross, is a monumental step forward. I was dubious, but for the first time in 3 years, cannot wait for August, as SC will for sure get a BCFC side playing at the right end of the table and give some pride back to the club.

Be positive, and lets get believing once more. 

Well said Billy.

I actually think that some fans have almost enjoyed that last few seasons, as during that time the club has  sadly provided regular ammunition for the moaners and groaners to get their teeth into. SC's appointment was a classic example of one of the traits I  see on here. Namely, that many fans prejudge new players and managers before they have even pulled on a City shirt or picked their first City team, but are reluctant to acknowledge when they turn out OK. SC is winning many fans over but I suspect there is a hard core who still want him to fail , even to the team's detriment, only so they can then say "I told you so".

The club has made many mistakes in recent years, as a result of which the are many fans who have an agenda as far as the board/owner is/are concerned. I suspect may of these fans anticipated that SC's appointment would reinforce their argument in that respect an are probably now frustrated that things a working out in a way that, to be fair, very few had anticipated.

You mention GJ, and since SC's appointment it has felt a bit like GJ's early time here when we went on the losing streak and many questioned his appointment. Not only did GJ turn  things around, he galvanised the whole club, including fans, in a way I've not experienced since Terry Cooper started our 80s revival. It's a long way to go , but lets hope SC is able t keep things going into next season and keep proving more fans wrong.    

I was dubious, but for the first time in 3 years, cannot wait for August, as SC will for sure get a BCFC side playing at the right end of the table and give some pride back to the club.

After the last few years forgive me if I keep to cautious positivity on this front. We will see what SC is made of following the summer, I can only hope we are happy with what we see.

Just to add my ha penny worth ,how do you know he has n't been offered other posts ?

You know nothing about his personal situation so how can you comment ?

Perhaps he's just enjoying a paid holiday at the expense of the club who pulled the plug on his working brief .

Anyhow for the millionth time

LET IT GO

And get united behind

BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB,

Not SOD or Cotts fan club.

Well said Billy.

I actually think that some fans have almost enjoyed that last few seasons, as during that time the club has  sadly provided regular ammunition for the moaners and groaners to get their teeth into. SC's appointment was a classic example of one of the traits I  see on here. Namely, that many fans prejudge new players and managers before they have even pulled on a City shirt or picked their first City team, but are reluctant to acknowledge when they turn out OK. SC is winning many fans over but I suspect there is a hard core who still want him to fail , even to the team's detriment, only so they can then say "I told you so".

The club has made many mistakes in recent years, as a result of which the are many fans who have an agenda as far as the board/owner is/are concerned. I suspect may of these fans anticipated that SC's appointment would reinforce their argument in that respect an are probably now frustrated that things a working out in a way that, to be fair, very few had anticipated.

You mention GJ, and since SC's appointment it has felt a bit like GJ's early time here when we went on the losing streak and many questioned his appointment. Not only did GJ turn  things around, he galvanised the whole club, including fans, in a way I've not experienced since Terry Cooper started our 80s revival. It's a long way to go , but lets hope SC is able t keep things going into next season and keep proving more fans wrong.    

With respect...this is such a frustrating post.

Everyone who follows City wants the Club to do well.

No one wants anyone to fail.

Fans have rightly been exasperated with the Clubs failures.

So when the Club put their hands up and said, 'we realise we've made mistakes, so we are putting in plans to rectify that, and move forward with a strong platform to spring from, so that failure doesn't happen again'... then people stood up and took notice and applauded that decision. Especially important now under the FFP.

Yes GJ created a feel good factor...much like Bournemouth are experiencing right now.

However...mistakes were made during his tenure and it spiralled downwards.

What all fans want I'm sure...is the Club to have learnt from their mistakes, rectify them, and not go back to their old ways.

Everyone wants SC to do well...surely?

Whether fans agree with his appointment or not, it is neither here nor their...he's our manager...all we ask, is that the board and owner still keep to their plan and don't let old habits come back and haunt us....Correct?

Hopefully they will make sure it's enforced.

What is the point of getting the feel good factor back and galvanising the fans, like when GJ had 'his season', for it all to come tumbling back down again?

All fans want...is for the Club to be run Professionally...learn from their mistakes and not go back to short term fix's again.

If it can be done with SC in charge...then great.

It doesn't matter what we as fans think of a manager...if the Club work as one...not just the first team...and learn from their mistakes...then it will surely succeed.

Whether we like a managers personality is irrelevant...

You mention our revival under Terry Cooper...that led to our best years under Dicks...but look how that all ended, because of huge mistakes...which we've never really recovered from.

Feel good factors are great if they are not constantly broken down because of the same old mistakes...Surely?

That's why we are a Club that has continually failed, when given it's funding in the past, we could have done so much better.

Time we acted on our mistakes and never forget them.

About where I am. I still am angry.. deep down under the compost heap at the bottom of the garden. I believe he would have kept us up as well. That said, we cannot deny the good job that Cotts has done.. I never had a bad feeling towards him personally only that anybody coming in at that time would have been wrong; whoever keeps us in this division,. SOD included, would deserve credit.

Let us not lose sight of the fact that SOD was asked to breed the youngsters far more than Cotts has tolerated; when Cotts came in he went straight out and brought some old hands into the squad. Considering that one might argue his job has ultimately been easier than it would have been with SOD in charge if the board had not backed him and torn up one of the pillars. Funny how all that has gone quiet since Cotts arrived.

Can he mount a promotion challenge next season? Depends on what backing he is given in the close season but if it is of a decent level and we continue to ignore this nonsense and previous blanket under 24 age limit i see no reason why he cannot have us challenging.

I don't think SOD was asked to breed the youngsters, they were already born.

With respect...this is such a frustrating post.

The frustration is that we do have fans who feel as I implied.

Everyone who follows City wants the Club to do well.

No one wants anyone to fail.

Reading some of the things posted on this forum, I'm not always quite so sure.

Fans have rightly been exasperated with the Clubs failures.

For nigh on  50 years in my case! However, despite that frustration In am still as positive in my support of the manager, players, team and the club as I always have been.

So when the Club put their hands up and said, 'we realise we've made mistakes, so we are putting in plans to rectify that, and move forward with a strong platform to spring from, so that failure doesn't happen again'... then people stood up and took notice and applauded that decision. Especially important now under the FFP.

The 5 pillars is a great example of the club recognising past mistakes, and putting plans in place to avoid the same mistakes in future. While many ( me and you by the sound of it, applaud this thinking and recognise it's  importance, this forum has been full of posts deriding that plan, sceptical that it will be sustained and delighting in pointing out any action that appears to deviate from the stated 5 pillars principle , even when pragmatic decision have been obviously needed to head of relegation this season.

Yes GJ created a feel good factor...much like Bournemouth are experiencing right now.

However...mistakes were made during his tenure and it spiralled downwards.

Agreed, but with a few exceptions, every manager has a finite shelf time at a club and it is often the downward spiral that leads to his departure. The same will happen at some point to SC.  

What all fans want I'm sure...is the Club to have learnt from their mistakes, rectify them, and not go back to their old ways.

Everyone wants SC to do well...surely?

You would think so, wouldn't you?

Whether fans agree with his appointment or not, it is neither here nor their...he's our manager...all we ask, is that the board and owner still keep to their plan and don't let old habits come back and haunt us....Correct?

Agreed, but as I mentioned above, there also has to be some practical realism, so that while we have been staring relegation in the face this season, some of the players brought in have been outside the 5 pillars principle. However, I would rather us pursuing the 5 pillars principles as a league 1 club than in the bottom division, as I am sure would everyone connected with the club.

Hopefully they will make sure it's enforced.

What is the point of getting the feel good factor back and galvanising the fans, like when GJ had 'his season', for it all to come tumbling back down again?

Agreed - no point.

All fans want...is for the Club to be run Professionally...learn from their mistakes and not go back to short term fix's again.

Agreed - hence 5 pillars being sustained long term no matter what manager is in charge.

If it can be done with SC in charge...then great.

Agreed, the same as if it could have been done with SOD in charge.

It doesn't matter what we as fans think of a manager...if the Club work as one...not just the first team...and learn from their mistakes...then it will surely succeed.

Whether we like a managers personality is irrelevant...

Agreed, as I am only interested in how a manager performs and gets the team to perform. Unfortunately, it seems to me that for some if they don't like the manager , and for apparently stupid reasons, it does somehow cloud their judgement.

You mention our revival under Terry Cooper...that led to our best years under Dicks...but look how that all ended, because of huge mistakes...which we've never really recovered from.

Back to front. Big mistakes during Dicks' time , offering players long term contracts to guard against freedom of contract issues ( following losing Gary Collier) led to our financial and footballing demise in the early 80s. Cooper came in after this had happened.

Feel good factors are great if they are not constantly broken down because of the same old mistakes...Surely?

Football is different now, and fans seem to expect immediate success, and as a result it seems that " feel good factors" rise and fall as quickly as a whores drawers.

That's why we are a Club that has continually failed, when given it's funding in the past, we could have done so much better.

Time we acted on our mistakes and never forget them.

Hopefully applying 5 pillars - new/redeveloped stadium, professional development of academy, player acquisition strategy, conforming with financial fair play rules - will make us financially self sufficient and better able to avoid the mistakes of recent seasons.  

DoD

There are loads of fans who had become increasingly frustrated with the club's demise in recent seasons. When the 5 pillars plan was announced under SOD many saw this as the right way forward, especially as it was born out of SL's recognition of the changed financial climate in league football and also that the club could not afford to repeat the mistakes made in the last few seasons.

The majority understand that it will take some time for everything to come together and also that the deterioration in things on the pitch meant that a managerial change had to be made. Also, that on the back of this, some decisions would have to be made that might compromise 5 Pillars in the short term, but because the priority had to be avoiding a second relegation.

Unfortunately, others have chipped away at all of these decisions. Some resented SOD's departure ( thinking it meant the end of 5 Pillars) the appointment of SC (thinking it meant the end of 5 Pillars and introduction of hoof ball) some of the new players coming in ( thinking it meant the end of 5 Pillars and the halting of our young players development) or the redevelopment of AG (because it is not AV).  

Deep down I am sure that all are true City fans and they care about the club, but you cannot deny that there are many who have a funny way of showing it.

Try and understand the context mate...you really are missing the point of the discussion.

SoD had to be mentioned...because he was a previous manager...what do expect me to do, pretend his tenure never existed?

How many times do I need to explain it to you...read the sentiment... don't just fish out sentences to produce an argument that isn't even their...

I've mentioned various issues in previous posts...im not going to go over old ground.

You carry on believing what you believe and i'll do the same.

We'll have to agree to disagree...again.

And as for knowing whether I'm right or not... how else do you find out...unless you speak to people or see it yourself? :facepalm:

Like the bloke on here who claims he knows the in's and out's of players contracts, yeah right.

Archived