IGNORED

The Confessional

RedRock

Now we seem to be safe, time to own up to what have turned out to be misjudged slagging-offs made during the season.

So, while generally supportive of the Board, neutral on Cotts appointment, I sinned badly on Scott Wagstaff and Wade Elliot. I also doubted Sammy's ability to captain the side.

For those sins, I plead forgiveness and accept 'punishment' of a daily visit to the Gas Forum ****il/if they ever start winning again).

I have questioned the boards ability to run a football club over ticketing (to which I still think is poor), the appointment of SC (to which I was wrong) and the future of AG of which I am hugely underwhelmed. I questioned to ability of JET and have concluded that he's frustrating but the frustration is worth the entertainment. 

As recently as the Sheff Utd game, I thought SC was a terrible appointment that would see us relegated. I hold my hands up and say I was wrong... But I still doubt his capability to get us back up to the championship and dont think hes the right man long term. Hopefully im soon eating humble pie with that comment too!

I hereby confess that I underestimated SC purely on the basis of hearsay. He's not a great manager - if he was, would he manage us? But he's competent, tactically aware, and ready to admit to his mistakes.

That's a pretty sound foundation. He talks bollix occasionally, but even I have been known to do that :o

I hereby confess that I underestimated SC purely on the basis of hearsay. He's not a great manager - if he was, would he manage us? But he's competent, tactically aware, and ready to admit to his mistakes.

That's a pretty sound foundation. He talks bollix occasionally, but even I have been known to do that :o

Every manager in the world talks bollox (occasionally) , it's part of the job description, just listen to the Portuguese narcissist at Chelski and he is meant to be one of the best.

and I wasn't over enamoured with SC's appointment (but fully enamoured with SOD being sacked) but even with other appointments like Tinnion, Coppell and Millen and even SOD as I do with all signings I give them the benefit of the doubt, because sounding off with no basis whatsoever can easily come back to embarrassingly bite you in the arse, as the thread I highlighted proves.

does the hedgehog talk bollox?

I had seen his teams play and feared the worst but thought that perhaps his style would be suited to this division .

I still cringe during his interviews although i like his positivity.

My bugbear really was n't Cotts but the shambles that surrounded his appointment ,step forward the board.

Cotts has done a magnificent job

.The board are to be commended for supporting their man,i believe had they done more before we would still be in the championship.

So all in all ,well done Cotts .

The board ,must try harder.

Every manager in the world talks bollox (occasionally) , it's part of the job description, just listen to the Portuguese narcissist at Chelski and he is meant to be one of the best.

What sort of confession is that ?

I must admit the apointment of SC by the BCFC Synod left me with little confidence of survival....the evidence of previous SC miracles was just not there ..... now I look forward to my trips to church be it the Cathedral of Ashton  Gate or visiting other diocesse (sp) .....and I look upwards with Faith,Hope and ..er.... charity I guess....

What sort of confession is that ?

I must admit the apointment of SC by the BCFC Synod left me with little confidence of survival....the evidence of previous SC miracles was just not there ..... now I look forward to my trips to church be it the Cathedral of Ashton  Gate or visiting other diocesse (sp) .....and I look upwards with Faith,Hope and ..er.... charity I guess....

The confession was in the 2nd paragraph of my post (the bit you left out).

Now we seem to be safe, time to own up to what have turned out to be misjudged slagging-offs made during the season.

So, while generally supportive of the Board, neutral on Cotts appointment, I sinned badly on Scott Wagstaff and Wade Elliot. I also doubted Sammy's ability to captain the side.

For those sins, I plead forgiveness and accept 'punishment' of a daily visit to the Gas Forum ****il/if they ever start winning again).

Bless you my son...

i too have my sins,wade elliot,cotts and fonts have all proved me wrong.

it took more than just changing fonts to sort our defence out but we seem to be there now.

its been proven that with our good defenders on ,the wrong formation makes it redundant.maybe something that should have been identified sooner. well done cotts for sticking with it even if he didnt approve of 3 5 2.

i hope liam gets a good job next time,somewhere by the sea with nice neighbours. somewhere like bournemouth would be a good start

My confession is that I was angry and disappointed when the board sacked SoD. Now that City are safe at last I congratulate Cotterill along with the entire squad.

I actually quite like Cotterill. He says it as it is and doesn't paint over the cracks. I like that in any manager.

I confess that I never understood the SOD love in. The very fact that he rated Killkenny rang massive alarm bells for me.Thought he should have gone long before he did. I was unsure whether Cotts could put the brakes on and save us from where we were heading. Thankfully he seems to know what he's doing and the team has obviously improved under him. I actually look forward to going now & am optimistic about next season. Well done Cotts

My sin is worse in that I didn't moan or groan, but I was prepared to just stop going as got so depressing under the previous manager I stopped caring.  It was only due to constant badgering from my daughter, even when we sat bottom of the league, to go to as many matches as possible.  I'm proud of her for keeping the faith and telling me off every time I said City are rubbish/going down/not worth watching etc - definitely put me to shame.

Back loving City now. Even did first away game for years yesterday and it was great to see (and remember) how positive our away support tends to be compared to the home support

I always thought SC would get us points and survival.

As to whether he's the right man to change this Club for the better, long term....then I'm not sure.

I hope we as a club don't revert back to how we've always been, only thinking short term...it doesn't work for long term success and stability if we are looking to improve and get back into the Championship.

My confession is that I was angry and disappointed when the board sacked SoD. Now that City are safe at last I congratulate Cotterill along with the entire squad.

I actually quite like Cotterill. He says it as it is and doesn't paint over the cracks. I like that in any manager.

Agreed. He sounds like Johnson in that respect.

My confession is that I was right all along about SoD (dismal), Baldock (prolific), JET (entertaining) and Fontaine (one-footed) but I have now learnt some humility.

I confess to my continual authoring of sensible, thought-provoking and insightful posts.

I will, therefore, strive to honour apparent holy OTIB law by posting ill-contrived, reactionary crap and refusing to accept that I am not always right.

Amen.

About where I am. I still am angry.. deep down under the compost heap at the bottom of the garden. I believe he would have kept us up as well. That said, we cannot deny the good job that Cotts has done.. I never had a bad feeling towards him personally only that anybody coming in at that time would have been wrong; whoever keeps us in this division,. SOD included, would deserve credit.

Let us not lose sight of the fact that SOD was asked to breed the youngsters far more than Cotts has tolerated; when Cotts came in he went straight out and brought some old hands into the squad. Considering that one might argue his job has ultimately been easier than it would have been with SOD in charge if the board had not backed him and torn up one of the pillars. Funny how all that has gone quiet since Cotts arrived.

Can he mount a promotion challenge next season? Depends on what backing he is given in the close season but if it is of a decent level and we continue to ignore this nonsense and previous blanket under 24 age limit i see no reason why he cannot have us challenging.

About where I am. I still am angry.. deep down under the compost heap at the bottom of the garden. I believe he would have kept us up as well. That said, we cannot deny the good job that Cotts has done.. I never had a bad feeling towards him personally only that anybody coming in at that time would have been wrong; whoever keeps us in this division,. SOD included, would deserve credit.

Let us not lose sight of the fact that SOD was asked to breed the youngsters far more than Cotts has tolerated; when Cotts came in he went straight out and brought some old hands into the squad. Considering that one might argue his job has ultimately been easier than it would have been with SOD in charge if the board had not backed him and torn up one of the pillars. Funny how all that has gone quiet since Cotts arrived.

Can he mount a promotion challenge next season? Depends on what backing he is given in the close season but if it is of a decent level and we continue to ignore this nonsense and previous blanket under 24 age limit i see no reason why he cannot have us challenging.

As has been mentioned did SOD.

I will confess to being hugely underwhelmed when SC was appointed (but vowed to back him regardless) - just as the majority were.

I will also confess to wanting Copout, DMc and SOD being appointed , again, as the majority of us were.

Still early days admittedly, but looks like many of us have been wrong, on more than one occasion !

I concur with your post...and feel those being negative towards it are a little unfair.

SC was brought in to get us survival.

SoD was brought in to carry out a long term plan.

You only have to witness the difference in guidance outside the first team since SoD left, to see the difference.

People judge managers on performance and results in the first team.

Great if all the Club is moving in the same direction.

We will soon see, if the short term strategy comes into fruition.

I would like to think that SC, or whatever manager is in charge, can implement the guidelines set out at the beginning of the season...soon.

Forget the fact that Burns, Reid and Bryan have all played in the first team.

It's the development and scouting of players that needs to be addressed again.

If the whole Club is singing off the same hymn sheet under a directive, then it will work.

But if we just concentrate on the first team and have short term plans, then we will fail again.

SC needs to have all the development teams playing in a way that is seemless into the first team.

Not the under 18's playing one way and the under 21's playing another way.

Scouting also has to be looking for players of a certain ilk, under a directive...not just...'he looks half decent'.

If those things can be addressed again soon...then hopefully we can move forward together as a unit and not fragmented.

Archived