IGNORED

How Good Was Paul Cheesley?

extonsred

What irked me though is that Paul Cheeseley came from Gordano and had been missed by City.

Norwich had a scout down here though who spotted and signed him.

Big Cheese was actually on his way to AG to play for Norwich reserves when City got permission from Norwich to speak to him.

According to Paul in his own opinion Peter Shilton didn't do anything. He went up high and landed awkwardly and his ligaments went and he chipped the bone. Who knows whether he would have gone on to be a great. He was certainly the quickest at Bristol City at the time and Alan Dicks said his football brain was still developing when he got injured, but Dicksy really rated him highly, and so did the other players who played with him. All I know is that he is a top bloke, has always got time for the fans, and has got loads of interesting stories about those days. He is generous, a great laugh, likes a beer or three and is not a bad singer either! He is a true legend!

I remember him telling me that he injured his knee in the game before. The Shilton collision made the injury worse

Not only would 'Cheese' have been a City legend and England Centre Forward, I think he could have been sold for a sizeable transfer fee which would have saved the club from nearly going under in '82

Still to be found at the Knowle Hotel

http://www.viewbristol.co.uk/pubsandbars/knowle-hotel-info-40065.html

Left the Knowle hotel in mid Jan

I remember him telling me that he injured his knee in the game before. The Shilton collision made the injury worse

The summer of 1976 was a scorcher and the ground was very hard, dry, and cracked. The thing is that Cheese could get up very high, so coming down from a great height and landing on hard ground takes its toll on the joints. Stick landing awkwardly into the mix and you have had it. I got pushed in the small of my back whilst going up high and landed awkwardly and my leg crunched inwards, ligaments pinged and cartilage went and it was game over. Chessley's leg went outwards when he landed. Even with the advancement in medical treatment it is unlikely that he would have been able to play at the top level again. Remember, he chipped the bone as well as doing the ligaments. It was a nightmare, but that injury has immortalised him forever.

Whenever anyone talks about Paul, my mind goes back to a game in May 1976, which I doubt many City fans will have attended yet alone remember.

For some reason, City played an end of season friendly against Cardiff at Ninnian Park on a Tuesday night. At that time we were up for any City game anywhere such was the feeling after promotion. So me and my late father went over. We sat behind the goal with a few hundred home fans (no hint of any aggro).

Anyway, Trevor Tainton scored for us, and then I think Brian Clark equalised for them.

Soon after their goal Cheese got the ball just inside their half, took a couple of steps forward and smashed the ball into the top corner of the net from 30-35 yards. It was a goal from the moment it left his foot. I know coz I was sat right behind the line of it. Game over.  The second best strike I ever saw (just behind Jimmy Mann v Forest). All I could remember thinking on the way home was what a player this was and what could he do in Div 1.

When Paul first signed he didn't look anything special, but something clicked in 75/76 and he was a threat in almost every game I saw in the Promotion season.

For a comparison, Keith Fear called it right when he said Paul was like Les Ferdinand. Dynamite in the air, a powerful shot, and a big handful for any centre half.

Still my favourite City player of all time.

The injury was a blow to the club, but must have been a disaster for him.

Some of you posting on here sound like you know Paul. I'd be interested to know if he remembers that Cardiff game.

For what its worth, my memory of the injury is that Shilton came out aggressively to make a point to the new boy, but I don't think there was anything intentional about it. I also remember Cheese walking off, which in hindsight was madness, but a sign of the times!

Does anyone remember the game against York City away during the promotion season? The cameras were at Ashton Gate for the return fixture that year and Tom Ritchie bagged a hat-trick, but so did Cheese in the corresponding away fixture, and by all accounts it was a cracking hat-trick too.

Does anyone remember the game against York City away during the promotion season? The cameras were at Ashton Gate for the return fixture that year and Tom Ritchie bagged a hat-trick, but so did Cheese in the corresponding away fixture, and by all accounts it was a cracking hat-trick too.

I was stood on the Tote End watching the Gas being stuffed and trying not to show any reaction as the goals from York were reported on my radio :P

Archived