IGNORED

If You Owned A Football Club...

spudski

Kind of all sounds like what SL is trying to do for Bristol City right now.

Show me a chairman who never makes mistakes and I'll show you a chairman with no ambition!

The chances of us having a wealthier owner than SL, ever, are slim. Let alone one with a genuine passion to make us a success without any real desire or expectation of an ROI.

We could be in a lot worse hands!

Kind of all sounds like what SL is trying to do for Bristol City right now.

Show me a chairman who never makes mistakes and I'll show you a chairman with no ambition!

The chances of us having a wealthier owner than SL, ever, are slim. Let alone one with a genuine passion to make us a success without any real desire or expectation of an ROI.

We could be in a lot worse hands!

This isn't a knock at SL...just a question for fans to have some fun with.

The question is what would YOU do...not what SL is doing... :thumbsup:

Invest heavily on the academy and make it the best in the country, in the long term producing a stable club who creates the next generation of talented ENGLISH footballers.

Totally agree...but I think you would have to bring in some foreign youth and coaches to teach the next generation of English players to be good players. It's well known that English coaching is technically poorer than a lot of our foreign neighbours...but yes...how great would it be to have talented technical English footballers, even better if they were local... :thumbsup:

Totally agree...but I think you would have to bring in some foreign youth and coaches to teach the next generation of English players to be good players. It's well known that English coaching is technically poorer than a lot of our foreign neighbours...but yes...how great would it be to have talented technical English footballers, even better if they were local... :thumbsup:

You can't tell me a foreign boy at 6 years of age has more potential than an English one. Get the right coaches at Academy level - and if half of them are Spanish or Dutch then so be it!!

Follow the Athletic Bilbao model if you want English and even Bristolian players in your side. The rules of their club only allow Basque players so how the hell do they bring them up from nippers to such a standard that they have never been out of the Spanish top flight? They must be doing something right.

It's all well and good but as I've said countless times it ignores the fact that football clubs generally run at a loss anyway.

this club already runs at significant losses each year. these are losses which, depending on how strictly the Football League apply the FFP, could see us at a major disadvantage. 

add to that the seemingly endless list of employees at the club and their travel expenses and we've got one big mess.  Genuinely it looks great in an ideal world but is so incredibly naiive. 

the system of sport in England is not sound at all. managing a club/business is intensely difficult because each club is seen as a separate economic entity (as opposed to the leagues being seen as the economic entity like they are in most american sports, IPL etc.). For instance, if Manchester United decided that rather than sell their broadcasting rights collectively they wanted to sell their own then they could. the office for fair trading has regularly stated that the TV deals seen in English football are a restriction of competition.

balancing financial competitiveness and sporting anti-competitiveness is an issue that almost nobody has been able to get right, and lets not beat around the bush Mr Lansdown is significantly more intelligent when it comes to business than 100% of our fans.

anyway, to sum up I would hate to run a football club. i don't know everything about the business of football but i know enough to know that no-one will ever know enough. 

Change the colour we play in and also the name of the club and the badge. Then proceed to insult the fans and boo the team when the lose. Also I would sack people in key positions so I could hire friends. Enjoy with brandy and cigars. Bosh.

You can't tell me a foreign boy at 6 years of age has more potential than an English one. Get the right coaches at Academy level - and if half of them are Spanish or Dutch then so be it!!

Follow the Athletic Bilbao model if you want English and even Bristolian players in your side. The rules of their club only allow Basque players so how the hell do they bring them up from nippers to such a standard that they have never been out of the Spanish top flight? They must be doing something right.

Like you say it's all down to the coaching.

Six year olds will soak up the coaching as well as any foreign boy of that age.

Take away peers and parents and years of inbred history which is hard to get rid of.

However older players like ours in the under 18's find it harder to develop as they have ingrained ideas on how to play.

Carlos is doing a good job though...

Like you say it's all down to the coaching.

Six year olds will soak up the coaching as well as any foreign boy of that age.

Take away peers and parents and years of inbred history which is hard to get rid of.

However older players like ours in the under 18's find it harder to develop as they have ingrained ideas on how to play.

Carlos is doing a good job though...

That would solve a lot of problems in youth football at the higher levels in this country.

This isn't a knock at SL...just a question for fans to have some fun with.

The question is what would YOU do...not what SL is doing... :thumbsup:

Ignore Bar BS3 for some reason he has had his head shoved up his arse for the last week or so. A shame really as he is normally a level headed poster 

Ignore Bar BS3 for some reason he has had his head shoved up his arse for the last week or so. A shame really as he is normally a level headed poster 

I was just trying to lighten the mood with an interesting debate....it's ok...everyone has their off moments.

I usually end up winding people up by accident anyway...never my intention...so I thought I'd post a thread for some fun :thumbsup:

Generally yes a Spanish kid of six will have more potential than an English kid at that age. This is due to the way the Spanish are already coaching kids prior to the age of six. By the time kids reach academy age the Spanish have increased the amount of skilled children they have to choose from.

There is a national responsibility to create Spanish talent from clubs, leagues and their FA which does not exist in the UK. Every kids club will have qualified coaches working to national standards based on producing kids with technique. This again increases the talent pool for academies and development centres.

UK academies often have player profiles in mind for kids. Those profiles can mean that skillful kids are overlooked v larger, faster, more aggressive, but less skilled peers. In Spain technique is all.

Generally yes a Spanish kid of six will have more potential than an English kid at that age. This is due to the way the Spanish are already coaching kids prior to the age of six. By the time kids reach academy age the Spanish have increased the amount of skilled children they have to choose from.

There is a national responsibility to create Spanish talent from clubs, leagues and their FA which does not exist in the UK. Every kids club will have qualified coaches working to national standards based on producing kids with technique. This again increases the talent pool for academies and development centres.

An unfortunate problem in the UK is that academies often have player profiles in mind for kids. Those profiles can mean that skillful kids are overlooked v larger, faster, more aggressive, but less skilled peers.

Splitting hairs a bit there. The point I'm trying to make is if the coaching is right you can coach talented kids from ANY country to be a good footballer. Not sure that the Spanish spend vast amounts of time coaching four and five year olds either.

Agree with the last sentence though. Pace, power and size count for rather too much in this country.

Splitting hairs a bit there. The point I'm trying to make is if the coaching is right you can coach kids from ANY country to be a good footballer. Not sure that the Spanish spend vast amounts of time coaching four and five year olds either.

Well yes they do start coaching kids at four and five and earlier. Kids in Spain do not wake up one morning with talent, its nurtured from a young age.

In the UK compare kids who have come through Brazilian Soccer Schools from the age of TWO v those who have not. Children at BSS are doing step overs, drag backs, rivaldos, maradona turns etc at six while kids in most U7 teams can't trap a ball. The methodology for producing kids with good technical skills in Spain is multiplied over and over again nationally.

'Moneyball' doesn't work in football, its too random in its game play, had a guest lecturer who gave a speech on it at my uni. Liverpool is the classic example where it failed. Andy Carroll scored the most headers in the premier league when he was bought, Stewart Downing most crossing assists and Jordan Henderson highest pass completion %. Combined in a team Liverpool then scored on average a goal every 630 crosses.

Well yes they do start coaching kids at four and five and earlier. Kids in Spain do not wake up one morning with talent, its nurtured from a young age.

In the UK compare kids who have come through Brazilian Soccer Schools from the age of TWO v those who have not. Children at BSS are doing step overs, drag backs, rivaldos, maradona turns etc at six while kids in most U7 teams can't trap a ball. The methodology for producing kids with good technical skills in Spain is multiplied over and over again nationally.

Some Academies in this country do skills training with kids at 5/6. But it is not technical coaching to any level because kids that age cannot concentrate for any length of time. I've seen seven year olds in this country do every trick in the book. There are plenty of young kids in this country with talent. In my view the coaching fails kids in this country between the ages of 12-16.

'Moneyball' doesn't work in football, its too random in its game play, had a guest lecturer who gave a speech on it at my uni. Liverpool is the classic example where it failed. Andy Carroll scored the most headers in the premier league when he was bought, Stewart Downing most crossing assists and Jordan Henderson highest pass completion %. Combined in a team Liverpool then scored on average a goal every 630 crosses.

It failed at Liverpool because they did it all wrong. They chose the wrong players and style of football to play...now look at them...much better. They completely misunderstood the system.

Although Jordan Henderson is now a player under Brendan Rogers.

That's because Liverpool has Carroll passing the ball to Henderson who crossed it for Downing to head!

Some Academies in this country do skills training with kids at 5/6. But it is not technical coaching to any level because kids that age cannot concentrate for any length of time. I've seen seven year olds in this country do every trick in the book. There are plenty of young kids in this country with talent. In my view the coaching fails kids in this country between the ages of 12-16.

Academies generally start with kids at nine. Development centres six upwards.

Teaching kids to be two footed, trap a ball use four parts of both feet is technical and can start at a very early age. Kids at four and five can be encouraged to have hundreds of touches of the ball in a training session and a child with the right aptitude can be dribbling competently by six.

I mentioned BSS ... Young Kids there concentrate, some display a great attitude to training with the ball. It is marvellous to watch.

The coaching in this Country although improving fails nationally at a very early age hence why the UK has "less" kids with talent by nine to choose from.

Academies generally start with kids at nine. Development centres 5/6.

Teaching kids to be two footed, trap a ball use four parts of both feet is technical and can start at a very early age. Kids at four and five can be encouraged to have hundreds of touches of the ball in a training session and a child with the right aptitude can be dribbling competently by six.

I mentioned BSS ... Young Kids there concentrate, some display a great attitude to training with the ball. It is marvellous to watch.

The coaching in this Country although improving fails nationally at a very early age hence why the UK has "less" kids with talent by nine to choose from.

The Academy a lad in my family is in starts skills coaching at five, trust me. And all Academies have a "Prep Squad" at Under 8's. They cannot officially sign until U9.

By the age of 12 all the outfield players can do every keepy uppy in the book ad nauseum, Maradona 7, Brazilian 8, telephone box test, loads of ways of going past players, every type of turn etc. Even the keepers can keep the ball off the floor between each other for long periods of time. They are bloody good players and some of the football they play in training and matches is awesome. But it just doesn't seem to translate into producing ENOUGH real quality at age 16 for some reason.

One area we do fail though is that the keepers are probably the most two footed players with a couple of exceptions because it has been drummed into them. That is one area where we are shocking in this country.

I'd start by removing all the salesman/business language used by the club to liaise with the fans. Tell it like it is.

Get some proper ale in the stadium bars.

Sit with the fans on a Saturday afternoon and invite a few of them to join me during the week to see how it works.

And, most importantly, sort out bloody disabled access and facilities throughout the stadium. I've never been into a publicly accessible building that ever gets it right.

Archived