IGNORED

Update From The Boardroom

WolfOfWestStreet

Well, they are the board of directors and its their job to chop and change if they see fit.

If it goes tits up, then they'll get stick - but it hasn't has it. We are well clear of relegation and, as far as I'm concerned, we'll finish well above where I though we'd be at the beginning of the season.

We are also getting a new stadium with two new stands, a redeveloped Dolman and a makeover for the Atyeo. Yes, its a sub for AV, but fair play in doing it anyway.

I gave them stick for what I saw as panicking when sacking yet another manager at what I thought was a bizarre time, but they've proven me wrong so credit to them for that. And credit to them for getting the new AG off the ground so quickly.

I don't see a lot to moan about, especially moaning (and its nothing other than a moan) about things that have not happened such as being back to square one - we have a summer to get rid of over paid comfortable players and get in some decent professionals. If we don't do that, have a moan then.

must be getting old agree with you :shifty:

Why is it moaning?

Some of us, myself very much included, have zero faith in this board and the way they chop and change everything as they please.

Yes we avoided relegation which is good but once all the loans go back were back at square 1 with expectation raised for next season.

Don't worry I'm sure OTIB will do its best to lower expectations, dampen everyone's enthusiasm and criticise everything the board does or doesn't do over the summer.

Or would you prefer us to be struggling still at the bottom of the table so that we don't have raised expectations next season?

Well, they are the board of directors and its their job to chop and change if they see fit.

If it goes tits up, then they'll get stick - but it hasn't has it. We are well clear of relegation and, as far as I'm concerned, we'll finish well above where I though we'd be at the beginning of the season.

We are also getting a new stadium with two new stands, a redeveloped Dolman and a makeover for the Atyeo. Yes, its a sub for AV, but fair play in doing it anyway.

I gave them stick for what I saw as panicking when sacking yet another manager at what I thought was a bizarre time, but they've proven me wrong so credit to them for that. And credit to them for getting the new AG off the ground so quickly.

I don't see a lot to moan about, especially moaning (and its nothing other than a moan) about things that have not happened such as being back to square one - we have a summer to get rid of over paid comfortable players and get in some decent professionals. If we don't do that, have a moan then.

Yup.

The five pillars thing has been somewhat of an embarrassment thus far, but to suggest or believe that those principles are set in stone and immovable would be slightly naive.

They are guidelines, nothing more. Keeping up with, or indeed - ahead of - the constantly shifting sands of football is a complex business which requires flexibility and more than just a linear model. Sometimes you have to react to the (unforeseen) times and circumstances.

If breaking with the master plan temporarily means saving the master plan, then so be it.

I'm not overly impressed by the board''s performance over the last couple of years, but as long as the signs are there over this summer that we will return to policy, rather than binning it altogether, I'm with them on this.

Don't worry I'm sure OTIB will do its best to lower expectations, dampen everyone's enthusiasm and criticise everything the board does or doesn't do over the summer.

Or would you prefer us to be struggling still at the bottom of the table so that we don't have raised expectations next season?

With respect... I think you maybe missing the point?

Great...we avoided relegation after signing and loaning in, older experienced pros in January.

What people are pointing out, is that we are back to square one again after another short term fix.

SC has to rebuild again over the summer...new players signing...others leaving.

It's just a continual merry go round.

So for the Board to praise themselves is quite amusing and gives the impression that they think the fans are a bunch of numbskulls.

I really don't think they have learnt from their mistakes.

SC gets a three and half year deal.

El Abd a 29 year old gets a three and half year deal on above average League 1 wages.

How is that practical in the current footballing climate?

Everyone is so happy that we've avoided relegation...but they still fail to notice how we have done it and that we are back to square one again.

No one wants to moan...we just want the Board to start making the right footballing decisions on a regular basis...and don't treat the fans as fools.

This is not a go at SC...he's done what most managers would do...

As I said earlier, the only person who can feel proud of their performance in the last 12 months is Amy Kington.  Everyone else involved in this club needs to do a lot more before they earn my respect and praise.

So no respect or praise for Craig Richardson (and his team) who today received a commendation from the Football League for the Ashton Gate pitch this season? 

It's too easy to just make such comments of "Everyone else involved in this club needs to do a lot more before they earn my respect and praise.".

So no respect or praise for Craig Richardson (and his team) who today received a commendation from the Football League for the Ashton Gate pitch this season? 

It's too easy to just make such comments of "Everyone else involved in this club needs to do a lot more before they earn my respect and praise.".

Don't you think that's being a bit pedantic?

Get the gist of Harry's post...and you'll understand where he is coming from.

It's obvious there are some improvements... Tinman and Carlos being two of them. And we've always had a good pitch and ground staff in my lifetime.

You could also praise some of the stewards in the Williams who are very friendly and helpful.

The list could go on.... Surely you can see the point he's trying to make?

Harry is correct in his summarisation and puts it across far better than I can.

Valid point there billy, cynical timing of this email too. And the majority lap it up despite another disastrous season on and off the field.

It was a disastrous on the pitch season until the board took the decision to ditch your hero, since when we've hit play-off form.

As another poster said, if the board never sent any communications out they would be criticised by the moaners for being aloof and silent: they are damned if they don't and damned when they do.

I honestly think some posters will only be happy when the Lansdowns have been forced out and the club is in the hands of either a foreign asset -stripper who couldn't find Bristol on a map or a smalltime local builder's merchant who can shepherd us into insolvency.

It was a disastrous on the pitch season until the board took the decision to ditch your hero, since when we've hit play-off form.

As another poster said, if the board never sent any communications out they would be criticised by the moaners for being aloof and silent: they are damned if they don't and damned when they do.

I honestly think some posters will only be happy when the Lansdowns have been forced out and the club is in the hands of either a foreign asset -stripper who couldn't find Bristol on a map or a smalltime local builder's merchant who can shepherd us into insolvency.

So frustrating mate... no one is saying they want the Lansdowns out...and no one has an agenda against them or SC.

Why even mention 'hero'... can't you see it's not about that?

Think about how we've survived. Think about the reasons we are back to square one again in League 1, and building a new squad again.

People just want them to make the right decisions...can't fault their passion and input...just get it right...how long have they been here and running the joint? How long does it take to realise and learn from your mistakes?

If he had done it at Hargreaves Lansdown they'd be out of business.

It's been a merry go round of mistakes....this is not about SC coming in and doing better on the field than SoD or any previous manager...

Please see the reasons people say what they do...there are no agendas or bitterness about other managers.

What is bitter to take is the bull that comes out of their...

Your Bristol City Board set out a clear and coherent plan in early 2013 and is sticking to it. At that time we highlighted five areas of long-term focus to underpin the club's future: recruitment, youth and talent development, community engagement, financial prudence and modern facilities.

Pillars surely?

So frustrating mate... no one is saying they want the Lansdowns out...and no one has an agenda against them or SC.

Think about how we've survived. Think about the reasons we are back to square one again in League 1, and building a new squad again.

People just want them to make the right decisions...can't fault their passion and input...just get it right...how long have they been here and running the joint? How long does it take to realise and learn from your mistakes?

It's been a merry go round of mistakes....this is not about SC coming in and doing better on the field than SoD or any previous manager...

Please see the reasons people say what they do...there are no agendas or bitterness about other managers.

I don't think we are back in "square one". We have a more inspiring and successful manager than we had at the start of last season, we have every reason to look forward to a successful season.

Of course, I can see that there have been some off pitch failures: Ashton Vale - but it's time to move on from that, it's more a failure of the authorities to see that a well-intentioned piece of legislation could be subverted by a duplicitous bunch of BANANAS; the ticket system screw-up - well I had to queue up about 2 minutes longer than last season, but I'll survive the trauma; the catering still bad? I manage to go 105 minutes without food. Others should try it!

Compared to other clubs we both could name, our off-field problems are pretty petty stuff. And I genuinely think we're moving in the right direction. Looking forward to next season. Let's have some positivity, mate!

Think about how we've survived. Think about the reasons we are back to square one again in League 1, and building a new squad again.

These "mistakes" are just part of football.  It's very easy to type that they should "make the right decisions" and "just get it right".  But impossible to achieve in practice.

There is no reliable way to predict which managers will succeed or fail, or which players will do well or badly at a particular club.

Some teams have done worse than us, others have done better than us.  That's the way it goes.

On the whole, I believe we have a good board.  There are a few things that could be better.  But there are an awful lot that could be a hundred times worse.

So short sighted, They have made wonderful decisions since 2008 haven't they? How you can say things have Not gone tits up this season astounds me.

So short sighted, They have made wonderful decisions since 2008 haven't they? How you can say things have Not gone tits up this season astounds me.

The tits went upwards last season when - facing a relegation battle - we appointed a man with the motivation skills of a decaying blancmange. We end this season with the mammaries clearly pointing in the right direction.

The tits went upwards last season when - facing a relegation battle - we appointed a man with the motivation skills of a decaying blancmange. We end this season with the mammaries clearly pointing in the right direction.

So who's fault is that? Who continues to make mistakes?

So who's fault is that? Who continues to make mistakes?

Like every board in the history of football, ours occasionally makes mistakes.

As did we all on Otib where there was near rapture at SOD's appointment.

Football is not a perfect science and it is not possible to firmly predict which managers (and players) will come good in varying conditions - many, completely outside any board's control. If football was a perfect science then it would surely be possible for the country 's most successful manager ever to have chosen an effective successor....

Like every board in the history of football, ours occasionally makes mistakes.

Football is not a perfect science and it is not possible to firmly predict which managers (and players) will come good in varying conditions - many, completely outside any board's control. If football was a perfect science then it would surely be possible for the country 's most successful manager ever to have chosen an effective successor....

Tbf there, Robbo, we've made a continued catalogue of errors over the last 5 years and there's been inherent underachievement for the majority of the 24 years I've been going to Ashton Gate.  Why that is, I don't know.

No, I don't want Lansdowne gone, I'm grateful for his finance and commitment.

However, expressing frustration is surely inevitable.  I know the best fans in the world, north of the river, like to self-congratulate at their unswerving brilliance as supporters but we down ere lioke to lets people know we're pessed off with our lot.

Also, as highlighted, bullshit summaries of the season don't wash.

Tbf there, Robbo, we've made a continued catalogue of errors over the last 5 years and there's been inherent underachievement for the majority of the 24 years I've been going to Ashton Gate. Why that is, I don't know.

However, expressing frustration is surely inevitable. I know the best fans in the world, north of the river, like to self-congratulate at their unswerving brilliance as supporters but we down ere lioke to lets people know we're pessed off with our lot.

But I don't read that as a bullshit summary of the season - most of it is focused on the future and it's not really telling us anything we didn't know other than to confirm the appointment of a CEO who seems to have a good pedigree.

Perhaps my evil twin is right that it's a nothing sort of email. I view it just as a sort of polite thanks for your continued support - a nice touch.

You have to have a toolshed fool of axes to grind to view that communication as some sort of reason to attack the sender or the board.

Tbf there, Robbo, we've made a continued catalogue of errors over the last 5 years and there's been inherent underachievement for the majority of the 24 years I've been going to Ashton Gate.  Why that is, I don't know.

However, expressing frustration is surely inevitable.  I know the best fans in the world, north of the river, like to self-congratulate at their unswerving brilliance as supporters but we down ere lioke to lets people know we're pessed off with our lot.

Not sure what the "underachievement" is judged against.  In our entire history, we've had two brief spells in the top flight (the first of which was more than 100 years ago), and we were in the fourth tier for a couple of years in the 1980s.

Apart from that, we've been in the second and third tiers pretty much our entire existence.

Over the last 24 years, I think we've spent about equal times in the second and third tiers.  We came perilously close to getting into the top tier for only the third time in our history.  And we spent six consecutive seasons in the second tier for only the second time in the post-war era.

So sorry to break the bad news, but I think the last 24 years have been pretty much normal, and perhaps even slightly better than average, for Bristol City.

But I don't read that as a bullshit summary of the season - most of it is focused on the future and it's not really telling us anything we didn't know other than to confirm the appointment of a CEO who seems to have a good pedigree.

Perhaps my evil twin is right that it's a nothing sort of email. I view it just as a sort of polite thanks for your continued support - a nice touch.

You have to have a toolshed fool of axes to grind to view that communication as some sort of reason to attack the sender or the board.

Fair enough.  harrys post was well thought through and pretty damning, though.

Think the issue is; we've heard it all before.

When we're promoted/have a genuine promotion push, when we're achieving and tangibly progressing as a club; I will be the first to be carrying Stevie L off the Ashton Gate turf on my shoulders.

Keep up the show, on the pitch, of the last few months an all bodes well.  Bit early for the board to be back-patting though (not to mention all too typical), given our longer term track record.  

Not sure what the "underachievement" is judged against.  In our entire history, we've had two brief spells in the top flight (the first of which was more than 100 years ago), and we were in the fourth tier for a couple of years in the 1980s.

Apart from that, we've been in the second and third tiers pretty much our entire existence.

Over the last 24 years, I think we've spent about equal times in the second and third tiers.  We came perilously close to getting into the top tier for only the third time in our history.  And we spent six consecutive seasons in the second tier for only the second time in the post-war era.

So sorry to break the bad news, but I think the last 24 years have been pretty much normal, and perhaps even slightly better than average, for Bristol City.

And another generation of hugely frustrated Bristolians :)

Just stating the way it is. It's called a placatory statement from the club but some of us can see it for what it actually is.

To be fair though, what would you expect them to say?

"This seasons been a right **** up, we've had to chuck a load more money at it and we're only safe because we abandoned a supposedly unshakeable philosophy about recruiting young players in favour of a bunch of expensive old timers. But please renew your season ticket anyway. Thanks, JL"

Yes, I thought SOD was an excellent choice at the time. 

It also occured to me recently that one of the times I've been deeply happiest as a City supporter was the day Tony Pulis left us.  The sun was shining, God was in his heaven and everything was right with the world.  I wonder whatever happened to Mr Pulis .....

That may be true but the recent period, the years since wembley can be seen as underachievement. We had an opportunity with a very wealthy benefactor in a thriving city of making ground on many teams outside of the Premiership who have/had accumulated massive debts and were in many cases on the decline. It's a real shame that we are now at a crossroads and thanks to the fair play rules, we can't use "golden pockets" to the same extent. As others have pointed out, we not only have to say we will invest in youth and the club structure, but we must be seen to actually walk that path as well. 

I for one don't want to see the same run of the mill "last pay day" veterans stinking the place up. I am sure there are great examples of players who buck this trend, but for every Hartley, there are 10 Tony Dinning's in our murky past.

I hope that this summer will see us walking the new route, lets at least give it the same chance to succeed that the old route has had. 

Why would anyone spend a significant part of their day analysing and deconstructing a routine junk mail shot?

I love this place!!!!!

Ummmm...took about 15 minutes bud.  Probably a fraction of the time you spend on here day to day.

What a nonsense post?

Archived