IGNORED

Morons On The Pitch

BRISTOL86

Everyone around me was booing, because people just wanted to hang around and show a bit of appreciation to the players and manager for their efforts in the last few months, not watch idiots run around on the pitch. I do enough of that for 90 minutes every Saturday!

Appreciation to players? 

You said it yourself earlier.. Mid table FFS.

Steve Cotterill should've come out on his his own to take crowds appreciation followed by Sam Baldock and Wade Elliott. 

and then we'd all go home...

I have seen many of these laps of honours down the years, today was one of the quickest I have seen. I remember the days where they would take their time walking around, stop off for some pics with the fans, sign some autographs etc but today it was like they wanted it over and done with as quickly as possible. Would much rather have a pitch invsion.

If ever proof was needed that Bristol City fans will complain about anything then this post is it.

How can anyone care about something which doesn't affect them in the slightest?

its been going on for years and its an exciting moment for the young fans of bcfc.

whether people do or don't go on the pitch doesnt make any difference to anyone else.

Just a harmless bit of fun you miserable git !

Perhaps, but if we were away yesterday to someone like Oldham and they'd done it we'd all be talking about how pathetic it was to invade the pitch following a mid table finish...! We were the roundly labelled as pathetic across the country after doing it in the JPT, and rightly so.

The most pathetic thing about the whole situation was that tw*t on the tannoy acting like a pmt mother telling her kids off for being a bit naughty "get off the pitch NOW" he was not impressed. Sad b*stard.

Agree with that. Its our pitch after all.

The constant announcements while the game was in play were extremely irritating, and probably a distraction to the players. And the threat when a few hundred mainly kids ran on in good nature to get close to their heroes that they'd be arrested was totally out of order.

The announcer was David Lloyd who feels the need to stick up for those who don't want to run on the pitch. Fair enough, but Dave, a lot more common sense could have been applied.

For a start, you should be pleased that there are fans who actually WANT to express their support in that way, its all part of their make up and is what creates any sort of atmosphere at Ashton Gate.

Dave, you said during your many announcements that the players would leave the pitch then return to do a lap of honour.

What would have been the harm in an announcement that said, "look I don't really want you on the pitch but I know many of you will do so anyway, so after you've been on and mobbed your heroes, can you get off again so they can come out again and thank all the other fans".

I'm fairly confident that the overwhelming majority, including those who ran on, would have been happy with that.

A lesson for next season maybe?

I have seen many of these laps of honours down the years, today was one of the quickest I have seen. I remember the days where they would take their time walking around, stop off for some pics with the fans, sign some autographs etc but today it was like they wanted it over and done with as quickly as possible. Would much rather have a pitch invsion.

Think of players these days as builders you get in to do work on your house, a mechanic you hire to do a job on your car or even mercenaries.  The majority of them out there yesterday weren't here this time last year an a good number won't be here this time next year.  They feel no great affinity for us an I feel no great affinity with them, they are just doing a job.  Even within the last few years cult-heroes have dried up, there's certainly no-one of even Bradley Orr's standing and relationship with the fans.

The one thing that supporters can celebrate is the club itself, though; our identity.  

In the mid-90's (we finished mid-table in the third division, like now), I remember the majority of people on the pitch after the final game (certainly all the youngsters) as that's what you did.  It was as normal as non-uniform day to commemorate the last day of the school term.  The players were mobbed and brought back out from the locker room and addressed the fans individually from above the Atyeo tunnel.  I remember Martin Khul swirling his shirt round his head after us singing 'get yer tits out for the lads!', I remember Agostino and Darren Barnard.

It was fun, no one was branded a moron and the club didn't hugely try to regulate anything.

I cringed most yesterday when I heard ''don't run on the pitch as the players would like to thank you all for your support with a lap of honour''.  Translated: ''Don't run on the pitch because we're a bunch of control-freaking killjoys an the current employees are contractually obliged to symbolise some kind of former ritual where by there was an affinity between player and supporter''. 

No, I didn't run on the pitch.  Fortunately I was around before football had sold out and the sanitisation had truly set in, though.

Stewards were told before the game that there will be a pitch invasion, and not to try to stop it.

Perhaps someone should have told the stadium announcer as well?  For a joined up customer experience?

Agree with that. Its our pitch after all.

The constant announcements while the game was in play were extremely irritating, and probably a distraction to the players. And the threat when a few hundred mainly kids ran on in good nature to get close to their heroes that they'd be arrested was totally out of order.

The announcer was David Lloyd who feels the need to stick up for those who don't want to run on the pitch. Fair enough, but Dave, a lot more common sense could have been applied.

For a start, you should be pleased that there are fans who actually WANT to express their support in that way, its all part of their make up and is what creates any sort of atmosphere at Ashton Gate.

Dave, you said during your many announcements that the players would leave the pitch then return to do a lap of honour.

What would have been the harm in an announcement that said, "look I don't really want you on the pitch but I know many of you will do so anyway, so after you've been on and mobbed your heroes, can you get off again so they can come out again and thank all the other fans".

I'm fairly confident that the overwhelming majority, including those who ran on, would have been happy with that.

A lesson for next season maybe?

I imagine our stadium announcer would have been talking with our Club's Liaison Officer who was no doubt walking around before the game, during half time, and the second half, finding out what the mood was of the crowd.   The Liaison Officer would have been able to report back that there were a handful of 10-year morons intent on getting on the pitch but that the vast majority were staying off.  This could have informed the announcer who could have given more appropriate announcements as you suggest.

Perhaps someone should have told the stadium announcer as well?  For a joined up customer experience?

I imagine our stadium announcer would have been talking with our Club's Liaison Officer who was no doubt walking around before the game, during half time, and the second half, finding out what the mood was of the crowd.   The Liaison Officer would have been able to report back that there were a handful of 10-year morons intent on getting on the pitch but that the vast majority were staying off.  This could have informed the announcer who could have given more appropriate announcements as you suggest.

I'm fairly certain the Liaison Officer was the same person making the continual pitch announcements. I think when it comes to fans going on the pitch, particularly at the end of season, this person feels indignant on behalf of those don't want to go on the pitch and is blind to the fact that many do.

If there's a problem, there is always a solution.

I'm fairly certain the Liaison Officer was the same person making the continual pitch announcements. I think when it comes to fans going on the pitch, particularly at the end of season, this person feels indignant on behalf of those don't want to go on the pitch and is blind to the fact that many do.

If there's a problem, there is always a solution.

no its not, its a different person on the tannoy,

as for the invesion itself while it was uncalled for it was completely harmless there was no trouble and there no malice or intent to get to away supporters it was simply something that has happened on the last home day of the season for as long as I can remember,

I was the person making the announcements, and as Supporter Liaison it is my job to consider the feelings and needs of all supporters, not just a minority of people who think it's OK to run on the pitch at the end of the game. I also need to respond to requests from our Safety Officer.

I'm sure that no-one coming on wished any harm on any one. I'm sure you could put it down to youthful exuberance or sometimes a deliberate attempt to push the boundaries. But for every action there is a consequence, and that's why we try and keep people off the pitch at the end of the game.

I bet you that for every one person who ran on the pitch yesterday there were at least ten people up in the stands thinking 'why don't those idiots get off the pitch, so that the players can get back on', as evidenced by the booing that those who ran on received.  

And every person who ran onto the pitch will also have increased our policing and stewarding costs in the future, as well as delaying the players return to the pitch by at least 15 minutes and causing massive inconvenience to the vast majority of supporters who chose to stay off.

I bet you that for every one person who ran on the pitch yesterday there were at least ten people up in the stands thinking 'why don't those idiots get off the pitch, so that the players can get back on',

I agree, all I could hear was people round me saying "I'm hanging around to congratulate those brave souls who fought relegation and I wish those damn scoundrels will get off the pitch so I can do it quicker"

I bet you that for every one person who ran on the pitch yesterday there were at least ten people up in the stands thinking 'why don't those idiots get off the pitch, so that the players can get back on', as evidenced by the booing that those who ran on received.  

How many were in the East End yesterday?

How many did Crewe bring? 

How many kids were there in all four stands who didn't invade?  

How many parents would have preferred their kids to have been allowed onto the hallowed turf? 

How many people did invade?   

How many had left before the end of the game or right on the final whistle?

How many actually did boo?

By the time of the actual lap of 'honour' the ground looked less than half full. 

Think 10:1 is an absolute nonsense.

I was the person making the announcements, and as Supporter Liaison it is my job to consider the feelings and needs of all supporters, not just a minority of people who think it's OK to run on the pitch at the end of the game. I also need to respond to requests from our Safety Officer.

I'm sure that no-one coming on wished any harm on any one. I'm sure you could put it down to youthful exuberance or sometimes a deliberate attempt to push the boundaries. But for every action there is a consequence, and that's why we try and keep people off the pitch at the end of the game.

And every person who ran onto the pitch will also have increased our policing and stewarding costs in the future, as well as delaying the players return to the pitch by at least 15 minutes and causing massive inconvenience to the vast majority of supporters who chose to stay off.

Dave your 1 in 10 figure is purely in your head with no evidence.

I think it far more likely most people couldn't give a hoot either way, and if you want to quote figures, I'd suggest the booing came from more like 1 in 20 if that.

Fans were on the pitch for the less than 5 minutes it took for the players to walk off, so I don't really see how that delayed the players coming back on by 15 minutes.

I was in the Dolman thinking if I was younger, and could be bothered to walk down the steps, and if there had been anything on the game, I'd have been on there too.

You say you have to consider all supporters, which is fair enough. My perception however is you are more concerned with the passive, genteel, supporter and very intolerant and lack of understanding with those that show any sign of exuberance.

Anyway that's my view, but what do you think of my suggestion in previous post?

But had these people not had these announcements rammed down their throats by the club I'm sure no one would have had a problem. In future can you make sure the players show a little more interest? As I previously stated it was like the players wanted it over and done with as quickly as possible. It must have took them less than 30 seconds to walk past the EE. No stopping for autographs or pictures just done as quickly as possible. It was like the players only did it as they were told to do it. also remember the days where the last game was seen as a celebration. Good old fashioned pitch invasion, a chance to walk around the pitch take some pics etc never any trouble. I once remember a pitch invasion where City and Preston fans met on the half way line shaking hands etc. The club have come down pretty hard on this sort of thing and the heart is being ripped out of the club. No more open days, stay off the pitch, all traditions slowly being taken away from us. Just give the fans a chance to show you can trust us Dave. My children were very upset yesterday Dave. They have never been on the pitch at Ashton Gate. This would have been their last chance to see Ashton Gate in this form. But as I teach them the rights and wrongs they didn't go on the pitch. My children are 7 and 9 and they would much rather go on the pitch their heroes play on than stand around clapping them. If the club carries on like this they will lose a whole generation of fans. I became hooked on City as a child for all thethings that no longer happen now.

Don't come round here talking sense Dave, there's no place for any of that here!

Don't come round here talking sense Dave, there's no place for any of that here!

The 4 replies to Dave prior to yours disagreed with Dave so clearly your comment is invalid.

I'm just hoping Dave as Fans Liaison Officer will respond to my suggestion, which I think is a very reasonable one and could help to avoid this next season.

Name me any club that would have seen fans on the pitch for a mid table finish.

We are truly embarrassing at times. If i was a parent of some of those kids i would have been mortified. All this what harm did it do rubbish is just the selfish attitude some of our fans. over enthusiasm? dont make I laugh!

Name me any club that would have seen fans on the pitch for a mid table finish.

We are truly embarrassing at times. If i was a parent of some of those kids i would have been mortified. All this what harm did it do rubbish is just the selfish attitude some of our fans. over enthusiasm? dont make I laugh!

I bet your a bundle of fun to be with

Archived