IGNORED

Morons On The Pitch

BRISTOL86

Dave your 1 in 10 figure is purely in your head with no evidence.

I think it far more likely most people couldn't give a hoot either way, and if you want to quote figures, I'd suggest the booing came from more like 1 in 20 if that.

Fans were on the pitch for the less than 5 minutes it took for the players to walk off, so I don't really see how that delayed the players coming back on by 15 minutes.

I was in the Dolman thinking if I was younger, and could be bothered to walk down the steps, and if there had been anything on the game, I'd have been on there too.

You say you have to consider all supporters, which is fair enough. My perception however is you are more concerned with the passive, genteel, supporter and very intolerant and lack of understanding with those that show any sign of exuberance.

Anyway that's my view, but what do you think of my suggestion in previous post?

Other than the fact that there was little reason for celebration, I really don't know what the difference is between "bad" pitch invasions, like the one we're discussing, and "good" pitch invasions like after the Hartlepool game.

An invasion I will readily admit to being part of. Shoot me now!

As nickj says, they are statements of support for the club - providing there's. no idiocy there is no need to be heavy -handed.

On the subject of police, it sounds like they'd have been better employed doing their job outside one particular boozer, than hanging around the ground doing f all.

Dave, you said during your many announcements that the players would leave the pitch then return to do a lap of honour.

What would have been the harm in an announcement that said, "look I don't really want you on the pitch but I know many of you will do so anyway, so after you've been on and mobbed your heroes, can you get off again so they can come out again and thank all the other fans".

Because even more would have run on the pitch and taken even longer to get off.

Personally I couldn't give two hoots, we climbed out of relegation and finished mid-table, hoo-bloody-ray.  No need for a pitch invasion or a lap of honour, but I expect the kids would have enjoyed waving to their heroes and seeing them before the summer break. 

If DL had said "lets have a pitch invasion but then get off" I would think he would get the sack and BCFC would get a fine from the Football League.

Because even more would have run on the pitch and taken even longer to get off.

Personally I couldn't give two hoots, we climbed out of relegation and finished mid-table, hoo-bloody-ray.  No need for a pitch invasion or a lap of honour, but I expect the kids would have enjoyed waving to their heroes and seeing them before the summer break. 

If DL had said "lets have a pitch invasion but then get off" I would think he would get the sack and BCFC would get a fine from the Football League.

And yet at one time marketing pictures on the official site had pictures of thousands of City fans on the pitch after the final game of one season. Explain those double standards.

And I bet you anything you like any kid given the choice of running on the pitch and mobbing their heroes, or politely waving at them from a distance, would choose the former.

Think people are getting confused, no one ran on the pitch in celebration. They did so out of tradition.

I did similar when City were in the fourth and mid table with gates of 4000. It was the thing to do and normal. Thankfully City fans are not as dull and boring as others although it appears some want it that way.

But this is 2014, frankly it just makes us look pretty sad to the outside world in my opinion.

I don't care what other people may think, I don't live my life like that. I see going on the pitch as a tradition. It's a chance to get a few pics and above all else it makes it quicker to get out of the ground. People need to chill out it's a few people walking on some grass. Big bloody deal.

Has anyone stopped to think, 'If the club didn't put out an announcement, they could be accused of failing to control their supporters'?

Not that I care one way or the other, but if we had just left the bottom 4 and had been hit with a fine or a points deduction then it would have been a different story.

Ashton_Gate_invasion.jpg

Now that's what I call a pitch invasion!

life time bans for them all. Im serious here I was rather looking forward to a boring lap of honour by the players instead thousands of morans invaded the pitch to have a bit of fun and get close to their heroes.

I feel sorry for you Dave, you genuinely seem to try to do your best, each  and every time. But geez you don't half take it from behind sometimes from your so-called colleagues, who make these decisions and leave you hanging to explain it to the fans.

Could you explain, exactly what damage was caused, how many people were hurt, how many complained to the club and the exact amount of time those few thousand waited to deliver a half-hearted round of applause?

Because those seem to be the reasons to act like the nanny state once again at BCFC.

It's almost like City want to drive fans away sometimes.

the problem is fans entering the field of play is a criminal offense and has to be policed this isn't a club ruling its a govenment one so the club have to abide by it,

Would have far rather watched a decent pitch invasion than a load of under-achieving players wander dis-interested around the pitch (Baldock, Williams, Osbourne, Cunningham and Cotts excluded). Waited a couple of minutes and left, probably a good 10 minutes before the players appeared.

Loved it when I was a youngster and find it gutting that elf and safety dictates this is no longer acceptable.

At the moment, it is the fans that make this club special. Took a life long Man U supporter, who regularly attends OT, up from Devon for his first game at The Gate ever on Saturday. The 3 Lions was his highlight, followed by the East End experience .....the football, by some distance, came at the bottom of the list. 'Dire' was his verdict. The only reason he would ever come back is because of the fans - he thought the match day experience was 'fantastic'.

Maybe it should have been the year that the fans did a lap of honour and the Board and Players give them a round of applause. Might make them a bit more humble one suspects!

Those involved with Flag Day and the East End I salute you...tremendous stuff.

Final word for the police.... Quite exceptional and got it just right at the 3 Lions - well done, that's how to do it - have a word with the WMP can you?

DaveL

As you know it is highly likely that the fans will get on the pitch after the final home game, why not factor it in to the clubs plans, rather than have a hissy fit about it and scold people like children over the tannoy?

I was going to stay for a while, but the cringe-factor of " get off the pitch NOW" made me head for the exit.

DaveL

As you know it is highly likely that the fans will get on the pitch after the final home game, why not factor it in to the clubs plans, rather than have a hissy fit about it and scold people like children over the tannoy?

I was going to stay for a while, but the cringe-factor of " get off the pitch NOW" made me head for the exit.

I was embarrassed for him tbh, everyone around me chuckled. What a nice way for the fans liason officer to talk to the fans he represents. Split loyalties.

I was embarrassed for him tbh, everyone around me chuckled. What a nice way for the fans liason officer to talk to the fans he represents. Split loyalties.

I wasn't at all embarrassed. As I said earlier as Supporter Liaison it is my job to consider the feelings and needs of all supporters, not just a minority of people who think it's OK to run on the pitch at the end of the game. I will never please everybody, so I will just continue to do what I think is right.

No harm done, just a few kids who hopefully will turn into devoted City fans for the rest of their lives, having a bit of fun.

What constantly baffles me is that the Club regularly do not get it, do not understand, seem unaware what it means to us to follow City.

They'd rather look after the coppers and stewards than us. Patronising in their views about when, where and how it is okay to have a bit of harmless fun and express some joy about City.

They should all get up the Lions on flag day and see City fans of every age doing just that.

No harm done, just a few kids who hopefully will turn into devoted City fans for the rest of their lives, having a bit of fun.

What constantly baffles me is that the Club regularly do not get it, do not understand, seem unaware what it means to us to follow City.

They'd rather worry about the coppers and stewards than us. Patronising in their views about when, where and how it is okay to have a bit of harmless fun and express some joy about City.

They should all get up the Lions on flag day and see City fans of every age doing just that.

I have been to the last two Lions flag days, but couldn't make it this Saturday. I heard it went really went, and I'm pleased that fans and Police all got on well.

No one wants to be a killjoy for the sake of it, and I do understand that people who run on the pitch see it as being a harmless bit of exuberance. But not everyone else sees it that way. Anyway, I'll just end up repeating myself if I continue this debate any more, so I look forward to having exactly the same one this time next year. 

Archived