IGNORED

Jimmy Lumsden....

spudski

.... would love to see someone like him employed by ourselves with all his experience and football knowledge. Recently left Manchester Utd with probably a nice severance package for services.

Can you imagine what that guy knows about football...and all his experience and connections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Lumsden

Highly thought of throughout football...

If you don't ask...you don't get.

If I was Steve... I'd be straight on the phone and paying a large lump for his services and selling his dream.

Because? He's followed Moyes around with a non specific job, what suggests he'd add any value to us?

If we were to ever go down this route then we need to wait for QPR to get fed up of Redknapp and get Joe Jordan back.

That's someone with a real name in football, loads of contacts and of course a Bristol resident...

A couple of questions.  If he's good enough for top Premiership clubs why would he come to Bristol City? If City want to employ him, who would get the sack to create a vacancy?

Now that would be a dream.... SL to convince Moyes and Lumsden to come here.

Tell them to build a legacy for him...sell the dream. Let them get on with it. Let them create a new 'Everton'. A club fit for professional football from top to bottom....

Who'd of thought James and Coppell would have come here when they did....?

We can all but dream.... :thumbsup:  ;)

So who really knows what Jimmy L does ? What was his exact role and what were his successes and how would that translate to BCFC. What would his exact role be at BCFC ? What will he bring to the club ? Apart from being at Everton and briefly at Manure, what does anyone here know about his ability and how it relates to our situation. I would be far more interested to know what Southampton have done, who were in L1 not so long ago, and how they turned their club around from being bankrupt. If there is realistic model and or lessons to be learnt they seem to have done exactly what we need to do right now. 

seperating their main assists from the football club so they didn't get taken when they went into administration?

So who really knows what Jimmy L does ? What was his exact role and what were his successes and how would that translate to BCFC. What would his exact role be at BCFC ? What will he bring to the club ? Apart from being at Everton and briefly at Manure, what does anyone here know about his ability and how it relates to our situation. I would be far more interested to know what Southampton have done, who were in L1 not so long ago, and how they turned their club around from being bankrupt. If there is realistic model and or lessons to be learnt they seem to have done exactly what we need to do right now. 

Or Swansea. Can't believe that interview with their chairman Huw Jenkins from a while back who said that not ONE person had rang him up and said "So, how'd you do it?" Far too much arrogance in football for that I suppose.

I was almost tempted to ring him myself.

We witnessed at AG just how limited Lumsden was as number one. He was never cut out to be the main man but has made a very decent living as member of the back room staff of David Moyes.

No doubt he'll follow Moyes into his next job.

That was 22 years ago...the amount of knowledge he has since absorbed would be so beneficial to a Club like ours.

I do agree...he will most likely go wherever Moyes goes...in the same way Jordan follows Redknapp.

It is, in my way of thinking, an out of date way of running a Club.

Former Coaches at Man Utd have said Moyes failed their, because he tried to change a winning system...too quickly, and doing it 'his way'.

I'm surprised a Club like Man Utd allowed Moyes to try and change things so much.

This is why I always think it's best to have coaches in place, a Director of football, and a football panel for transfers, a philosophy and way of playing and developing players, a structure that doesn't change when managers come and go.

Bring in managers and tell them 'this is how it works at our club, this is how we play...now work with it...' Instead of letting one man, and any coaches he brings with him, upset the whole apple cart.

Chelsea do that well, despair.

When Mourinho was asked the other day whether he would field a weakened team v Liverpool cus of the CL game v Athletico he said that wouldn't be his decision as there are more important people at Chelsea who make those kind of decisions!

Chelsea change managers all the time (nearly every season) and it doesn't seem to impact upon the success, which they continue to enjoy.

They must have a very strong structure in place behind the scenes. A **** load of money helps too.

Chelsea do that well, despair.

When Mourinho was asked the other day whether he would field a weakened team v Liverpool cus of the CL game v Athletico he said that wouldn't be his decision as there are more important people at Chelsea who make those kind of decisions!

Chelsea change managers all the time (nearly every season) and it doesn't seem to impact upon the success, which they continue to enjoy.

They must have a very strong structure in place behind the scenes. A **** load of money helps too.

And even with all that money and structure...they still loan out young players to a Dutch side, so they get beneficial development and improved competitive matches. Very forward thinking...

And even with all that money and structure...they still loan out young players to a Dutch side, so they get beneficial development and improved competitive matches. Very forward thinking...

Yeah I know a Northern Irish lad in their academy, it's a top set-up.

Links with a Dutch side...hmmm wonder if we could sort that...if either club learnt how to use a phone would be a start

I wouldn't judge Lumsden on his city managerial record. He was a excellent no 2. He took the managerial job and a few months later his Son died. I'd not expect anyone to deal with managing their first club under those circumstances. Harsh on the guy. We'll never know if he would have made a good manager.

Didn't Jimmy Lumsdens son die whilst he was here, can't remember much but I think the lad was only about 16 years old and it was an tragic accident rather than illness. I thought he took time off but never really recovered fom it (who would?). I thought he wanted to go back up north to be nearer the grave?

No doubt this would have a huge bearing on his life and career. He reminds me of a millen, a great number 2, a coach, but not wanting to be a manager in his own right

Edit: as I was typing this TRL confirmed this

Archived