IGNORED

Time To Honour Steve Lansdown - Stand Name

Jesus

Forget Lansdown, I'd like to see more of an acknowledgment of the AG8 than the shitty little plaque by the players entrance. In proportion those guys gave far more for Bristol City than SL ever will.

Agree with that.

The 8, Deryn Coller, Ken Sage & Terry Cooper all deserve more recognition for their contributions to City.

No.

Dolman, Atyeo, Williams, Wedlock.

4 true legends of the club. Lansdown has no place in to replace any of them.

The lad's got a bright future, I admit, but I think it's a bit early to refer to him as a "legend", surely?

PS: that's a joke

Shame Bas was so crap. If he had been any good and became a legend we could've had the Savage End

If Glenn Humphries had been a legend, we could have had the Psycho End.

Come on and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

How about a stand for Mickey Bell?

Forget Lansdown, I'd like to see more of an acknowledgment of the AG8 than the shitty little plaque by the players entrance. In proportion those guys gave far more for Bristol City than SL ever will.

Well said!...

...we should call it The Ashton Gate Eight Stand and have that on the front centre with the players names four either side.

There is no way Landsdown would want a stand named after him! You get these kind of gestures for being a legend or leaving a legacy! And quite frankly Landsdown would see his project with this football club no where near over. So come the day the man has achieved his own goals then yes it will be done! He would not want reconistion for what he sees as unfinished business!

Some might argue that day has already arrived !

Understand your view but I disagree.

The facts are they accepted a modest payoff instead of no money at all. There were no other options on the table.

Understand your view but I disagree.

The facts are they accepted a modest payoff instead of no money at all. There were no other options on the table.

Genuine question... if they had chose not to accept the 'modest' payoff, would the club still have been liable for the full amount owed, regardless of whether the players were ever likely to get it?...

...if so, I would suggest that they did indeed 'save' City... but as I said it is a genuine question...

Genuine question... if they had chose not to accept the 'modest' payoff, would the club still have been liable for the full amount owed, regardless of whether the players were ever likely to get it?...

...if so, I would suggest that they did indeed 'save' City... but as I said it is a genuine question...

The liability for their contracts would have put the club out of existence and the players would have been lucky to get a single penny from the fire sale.

It definitely fits a romantic view of the players saving the club and I'm not questioning their love or commitment of BCFC. All I'm suggesting is they did what they did as they had mortgages to pay and families to feed.

The liability for their contracts would have put the club out of existence and the players would have been lucky to get a single penny from the fire sale.

It definitely fits a romantic view of the players saving the club and I'm not questioning their love or commitment of BCFC. All I'm suggesting is they did what they did as they had mortgages to pay and families to feed.

Fair enough.

They did what they had to for their families, certainly.

But it saved the club... and it was the club that brought that circumstance about...

... so I say that they deserve honouring far more than they have been (by the club, not the supporters).

I'M not sure you are correct.

whilst the new board were unwilling to go forward with the liability of their contracts, the asset of Ashton Gate would have been enough to pay the creditors had the club been wound up and AG sold by a liquidator.

They truly did save the club.

Like many fans back then I bought a few shares to help out and as shareholders we had copies of all the

accounts.

Harry did not asset strip the club, therefore not out of order.

Did i mention asset stripping? someone stated that a man has to be "egotistical" to name a stand after themselves and i was stating that that was exactly what HD did

I'm not sure of the legalities but a couple of points to consider. If they had not taken the money and the club had gone into administration and ceased to exist, the ground would have been sold. Would the sale of the ground have covered the majority of the debts? If so they would have received a large share of what they were due.

There is also another scenario. Clubs, and businesses, regularly go into administration but continue to operate. In those days it was less common for football clubs and there was no 10 point deduction but it could have happened. If so, the club, in it's new form, might have only employed those players it could afford at reduced salaries

Archived