IGNORED

Jet Stops Scoring And We Improve?

where's the joy

could anyone kindly confirm JET's goals scored per game under SOD and since then under SC.

the goals appear to have dried up for him, but the teams effectiveness has got better.

of course some of that is down to the new back 3 performing much better than the old defence.

but next season we need 2 strikers banging them if we want to go up

You can't expect a player to bang them in all season long, otherwise they would be in the prem. sammy and jet have shared the work load well as when one wasn't performing, the other was as vice versa. It will never be perfect but to suggest we should replace jet is crazy due to the goals and assists he has provided.

I hope this isn't a ''we need a better strike force than JET and Baldock if we want to go up next season'' thread...

Well SC seems to think so, as he's recently come out and said that we can't rely on them both to do it again next season.

So he'll be looking to bring in players who can score goals as well. That's if we can keep both.

Do you think we don't  then ?

Why split a strike force with nearly 50 goals between them, i think someone mentioned that's the 4th best in the country, but then again there is your obvious dislike for JET, perhaps we should get someone who runs about a lot & puts a "shift in" but will only bag you half a dozen goals a season 

Don't know why anyone would want to get rid of JET great player who always has you on edge. Even if his work rate doesn't match his ability. We will never have a better strike force while in this league.

Don't know why anyone would want to get rid of JET great player who always has you on edge. Even if his work rate doesn't match his ability. We will never have a better strike force while in this league.

There were posters on here itching for him to fail so they could come on here and give him awful abuse.

Why split a strike force with nearly 50 goals between them, i think someone mentioned that's the 4th best in the country, but then again there is your obvious dislike for JET, perhaps we should get someone who runs about a lot & puts a "shift in" but will only bag you half a dozen goals a season 

JET scored in eight of his first 15 matches this season, all under O'Driscoll of course, but since then has scored in three of his last 30 matches.  It is hardly surprising that some are questioning his value to the team.    Wade Elliott has scored as many goals in the last six matches as JET has in the entire second half of the season.  Is JET creating goals for others?  Maybe, I don't know how many assists he has.  Has he contributed in the last half a dozen games?  In my opinion, no.  O'Driscoll always implied (and may have even clearly stated) that the only way to play JET was in a completely free role, with the rest of the team built round him.  Cotterill has not done that, and he has stopped scoring goals.  Hence the dilemma.

could anyone kindly confirm JET's goals scored per game under SOD and since then under SC.

the goals appear to have dried up for him, but the teams effectiveness has got better.

of course some of that is down to the new back 3 performing much better than the old defence.

JET has scored 15 goals in the league.

10 goals under SoD, 5 under SC.

He's only scored 3 goals since December in the League.

7 of his goals have been scored in 3 games...all of which we won.

He scored 1 Goal in 23 League appearances for Ipswich last season.

He's definitely a frustrating player. A conundrum...that I'm not sure about. He has the ability...bags of talent, but imho, just plain lazy and seems to lack motivation.

I see him best suited as a roaming player behind a front 2. Not as a Striker.

The problem SC is going to have, is fitting JET in, and finding players that can compliment the side and score goals, without disrupting our defensive side of the game. It's a tough call...

I'm still not sure where I stand with him...no doubting his talent...but when he doesn't show up for a game, it's like playing with 10 players.

I may be totally wrong but it seems he isn't taking his football as serious under Cotterill or maybe isn't enjoying it as much. I follow him on social network sites and the number of photo's of him out drinking seems to be increasing. I'm not saying a player isn't allowed to do this but as another poster said before he seems to have put on a bit of weight as well. If his performance hadn't dropped then nobody would care! I've also noticed he rarely mentions City in tweets like he used to earlier in the season. Maybe I'm reading too far into it?

Watch the 'goal of the season 2013/14' video on YouTube.. Someone please tell me, when was the last time you saw him pick the ball up and run at a player like he did v rovers for Bryan's goal? Earlier in the season he had everyone on the edge of their feet whenever he got the ball. Now all he seems to do is receive the ball, stop dead and pass it to the player closest to him. I hope next season he regains the form he had under O'Driscoll :fingerscrossed:

Based on his performances ih the 2nd half of this season there is absolutely no way he would get anywhere near the same total next season.

If he stays i guarantee we will have another "jacki" scenario.

If you were around at that time you would know that after his initial magical spell at the club, especially with andy cole under dennis smith's management, regular inept lazy performances  from him led to the majority of fans eventually losing patience and were glad to see his departure. 

JET will go the same way.

Do you think we don't  then ?

To win football matches the object is to score more than the opposition. JET can score 5 in a game but if a piss weak defence lets in 6 is it his fault ?

Until Cotts took over this was a much too regular scenario especially in the last 5 minutes of a game when our back line I'm sure were thinking about "beer o'clock".

I'm more than happy with JET & Baldock up front providing we have a strong defence to back them up. Remember 11 people make a football team.

Based on his performances ih the 2nd half of this season there is absolutely no way he would get anywhere near the same total next season.

If he stays i guarantee we will have another "jacki" scenario.

If you were around at that time you would know that after his initial magical spell at the club, especially with andy cole under dennis smith's management, regular inept lazy performances  from him led to the majority of fans eventually losing patience and were glad to see his departure. 

JET will go the same way.

You have had it in for Jet all season and couldn't wait for him to have a bad game before you would come on here calling him a disgrace, just a side not but if Jet took the penalties instead of Sam (and scored them of course) then only Assombalonga would of scored more goals than him (in all comps) in this division, and you think we can do without that? lets play the useless Barnett instead, maybe we should not of let the free-scoring Taylor go to  Pompey, hey lets get John Stead back, he dosen't score any goals but he dosen't half put a "shift" in, why don't you try backing our players instead of constantly digging at them, if Jet were to leave you would soon find someone else to abuse and now you are having a go at Jacki! If you were around in the 70s English football had many entertainers like Marsh, Bowles, Currie, Worthington, McKenzie who were truly loved by their fans but you would of hated them, dirty Leeds would of been your team i would imagine!  

There were posters on here itching for him to fail so they could come on here and give him awful abuse.

I think saying people wanted him to fail is way OTT!

The stats since December dont lie. Only 3 league goals. People are entitled to question this. I know he can provide moments of brilliance but that has been few and far between over the last 4 months. Yet in a funny way I have been more impressed with him and his work rate. Just goes to show him working hard benefits the team more than the flashes of brilliance.

Go or stay I think we have proven that we can play either way.

You have had it in for Jet all season and couldn't wait for him to have a bad game before you would come on here calling him a disgrace, just a side not but if Jet took the penalties instead of Sam (and scored them of course) then only Assombalonga would of scored more goals than him (in all comps) in this division, and you think we can do without that? lets play the useless Barnett instead, maybe we should not of let the free-scoring Taylor go to  Pompey, hey lets get John Stead back, he dosen't score any goals but he dosen't half put a "shift" in, why don't you try backing our players instead of constantly digging at them, if Jet were to leave you would soon find someone else to abuse and now you are having a go at Jacki! If you were around in the 70s English football had many entertainers like Marsh, Bowles, Currie, Worthington, McKenzie who were truly loved by their fans but you would of hated them, dirty Leeds would of been your team i would imagine!  

All those players you mention played at a top level... JET is a league 1 player for a reason.

You have had it in for Jet all season and couldn't wait for him to have a bad game before you would come on here calling him a disgrace, just a side not but if Jet took the penalties instead of Sam (and scored them of course) then only Assombalonga would of scored more goals than him (in all comps) in this division, and you think we can do without that? lets play the useless Barnett instead, maybe we should not of let the free-scoring Taylor go to  Pompey, hey lets get John Stead back, he dosen't score any goals but he dosen't half put a "shift" in, why don't you try backing our players instead of constantly digging at them, if Jet were to leave you would soon find someone else to abuse and now you are having a go at Jacki! like MarshIf you were around in the 70s English football had many entertainers , Bowles, Currie, Worthington, McKenzie who were truly loved by their fans but you would of hated them, dirty Leeds would of been your team i would imagine!  

Yes, i was around and marsh actually cost manchester city the division 1 title when they signed him from QPR.

I don't really  want to go over old ground but unless JET was dropped for a number of games instead of the odd one we won't know  what impact that would have had on the team.

It's a shame cotterill wasn't prepared to drop him for a home game , although having said that he wasn't exactly missed at stevenage (i know they were shit) when we created enough chances to win by 5 or 6.

I think saying people wanted him to fail is way OTT!

The stats since December dont lie. Only 3 league goals. People are entitled to question this. I know he can provide moments of brilliance but that has been few and far between over the last 4 months. Yet in a funny way I have been more impressed with him and his work rate. Just goes to show him working hard benefits the team more than the flashes of brilliance.

Go or stay I think we have proven that we can play either way.

Do you not think that a poster on this thread calling Jet a "disgrace" is far more OTT? 

are you watching the same bristol city mate? Sammy and Jet have 20 odd goals to there name this season, i believe they are the 4th or 5th highest scoring strike partnership in England? They are up there with the Liverpool Strike force of S.A.S, our strikers scoring is not the problem? Every team thats looks to be going up this year, have had a massive influx of goals from the midfeild, i think after JET and Sammy, Waggys on 6/8? Then its Marv or Flint? You can not get out of this division with two goal scorers, you need a team of goal scorers. IMO.

No doubting JET's ability, he can pull it out the bag at anytime and you don't know what to expect from him. But for me that's the problem.What can I expect from JET this match? He's either going to score out of nothing or he sticks out like a sore thumb and does not seem interested. His work rate isn't good enough for me and I think he can be dead weight on the pitch for other team members to carry. Don't think he fits well within our team either and I wouldn't want us to build a team round him. 

No doubt his ability as on his day he could be the best player not just in this team but in the league. But he only brings that to the table once a blue moon. So for me I would be happy to sell JET as long as it's reinvested to balance out the squad. 

Great player, but just too frustrating for me.

When you consider the no. of games JET has played this season, plus the fact he's still only 23, it's not exactly surprising he's been relatively quiet the past few games.

I really don't understand your reasoning...he's 23...he should be running around like a teenager...at the height of his fitness.

He's had 173 games in the League...the same age as Pack...you don't see him stood still. He's done less running around than any other Professional footballer I've ever witnessed...even Frank Worthington.

Have Said this in another thread but think if baldock goes , we should sign a powerful striker with pace would be perfect for jet . Much rather we put our attack around jet if baldock goes then splash out on a striker who might score us 20 but might not .

It Would take the pressure off him getting it lumped to all the time and create more space . The reason jet and baldock work so well together Is because they are differrent so then again maybe we should stick with another poacher , its such a conundrum!

Well it seems good enough for Man Utd and England!!!!!

The stats since December dont lie. Only 3 league goals. 

Yes but he has been mainly played in midfield since then.  I think when SC joined he was unsure how to best utilise him for the team.  

JET has played more games than any other player this season which tells you something, 21 Goals and 12 assists is an excellent return and I think he could be very effective if we can get him fit and playing in midfield as we have seen in recent times.

Jet was playing upfront under SoD and played deeper under SC thats the difference,

No big conspiricey or anything he was simply asked to play a different role, which in turn lead to sammy banging them in for fun

He is a lazy player but you have to take that with him because he can produce such magic

A fantastically gifted player who wont fulfill his potential. Many managers have tried and all have failed.

He still easily our best player and football would be dull without players like him, enjoy him while he's here.

Archived