IGNORED

Released Players... (Merged)

Hydey

Considering it was a relegation season plus a lot of players were out of contract, a complete overhaul was expected

I agree, but how many players have wolves and Peterborough kept from there championship days.

Must mean if we've lost most of our championship waged players our losses must be minimal now. Unless we are still paying silly money in this league, then where have we learnt our lesson and scmp hasn't really worked.

Would explain our slow start to the season just finished complete new team and needed time to settle.

I just hope with letting all the loanees go back we aren't back to square 1 next season and the team needs time to settle and we struggle again.

I agree, but how many players have wolves and Peterborough kept from there championship days.

Must mean if we've lost most of our championship waged players our losses must be minimal now. Unless we are still paying silly money in this league, then where have we learnt our lesson and scmp hasn't really worked.

Would explain our slow start to the season just finished complete new team and needed time to settle.

I just hope with letting all the loanees go back we aren't back to square 1 next season and the team needs time to settle and we struggle again.

Why should it?

Most of last summer's signings (JET, Williams, Flint, Wagstaff and Pack) along with Baldock, Cunningham and Moloney formed the basis of most of the sides that we put out last season.

We added Osborne permanently in January, meaning that the goalkeeper and creative midfielder apart that looks pretty close to a decent starting XI.

We all have a good idea of who the midfielder will be and so unless we get some unexpected departures I'm not anticipating more than 4 arrivals.

Carey, Fontaine and Pearson only actually started 5 games between them so in truth barely needed replacing.

Well he's got 3 years left on his contract.. so unless he's going on the transfer list I don't see how he would be mentioned.  I expect him to be given a fresh start next season..

He's actually got approx 2 3/4 years left now !

Louis Carey either retiring or having his contract ended had to happen at some point, but such a legend will have to carry on in some capacity, maybe as a defensive coach. Disappointed to see Krans go, had some excellent games for the U21's and Marvin Elliott, can't fault his commitment to the club and experienced the club over half a decade, with both highs and the lows. 

As for Fontaine and Pearson, Cheerio lads!

Nor reid, flattered to deceive last season and at 21 it has surely got to be shit or bust for him in 14/15.

Being young and from the academy genuinely helps, but if they were 25 year olds and not local they'll be shipped out ASAP

Good thing is they have time to improve.

Louis Carey either retiring or having his contract ended had to happen at some point, but such a legend will have to carry on in some capacity, maybe as a defensive coach. Disappointed to see Krans go, had some excellent games for the U21's and Marvin Elliott, can't fault his commitment to the club and experienced the club over half a decade, with both highs and the lows.

I don't agree with the logic about Carey. Just because he has been a good City player for a long time doesn't necessary mean he's any good at coaching. If it's not coaching, City shouldn't try to find him a job just because he's been here for a long time. He's been well paid for his work, so he shouldn't have any problems having a good life in the future.

Have a look at part three of his excellent youtube interview, wants to be a Manager in a couple of years after a) playing on for next year then b) doing a world tour of excellent sporting clubs picking up a few tips on the way.

Being young and from the academy genuinely helps, but if they were 25 year olds and not local they'll be shipped out ASAP

Good thing is they have time to improve.

Most players don't come into their best form until 25+, we dropped 2 academy players who barely got a run out last year into our first team and asked them to be regulars.

They didn't win us the league so they must obviously be sh@t with no chance of improving....

I'm not saying we should keep every player until they are 25 just in case they bloom late but someone must see progress or they wouldn't be getting extended contracts at their age.

Would you rather have them sat on the bench or a 30yo journeyman like Pearson?

Most players don't come into their best form until 25+, we dropped 2 academy players who barely got a run out last year into our first team and asked them to be regulars.

They didn't win us the league so they must obviously be sh@t with no chance of improving....

I'm not saying we should keep every player until they are 25 just in case they bloom late but someone must see progress or they wouldn't be getting extended contracts at their age.

Would you rather have them sat on the bench or a 30yo journeyman like Pearson?

I used to think that until the ridiculously extended James Wilson saga proved it false.

We've got to be very careful about over rating home grown players who aren't forcing their way forward to become regular first team players - when it comes to new contracts City should look beyond where they were brought up and treat them exactly the same as anybody else.

I'm not convinced by Bobby Reid for example. He's shown great promise at times but at his age next season the pressure should be on for him to fulfil it.

I know what people are saying when they say the "loan players were not ours to lose" but they were still a part of the squad we had last season and the bluntness is it's 6 players we won't have the next unless deals can be struck. I'd say with Carey, Fontaine, Pearson and Elliot going we need 1-2 players to replace them and then with the loanees we'll need 3-4 players to replace them too. That's 4-6 players we need to bring in all capable of making an impact straight away and as we know it does take time for players to gel and adapt to each other and get used to what the manager wants from them.

I see next season as a building season, mid-table would be fine with me so long as we build a spine that will last for the foreseeable future and then start bringing in the odd player to further strengthen for a play off spot push.

Archived