IGNORED

Bradford Fire Rip 56

cityloyal473

i used to be the quizmaster at the quiz night at my University many years ago.

one sports round, i asked who Bradford were playing when this tragedy occurred.

of the 50 odd people who were taking part, only one team knew the answer, a lot of people told me after they'd never heard of the incident.

Along with Heysel, this does not get the recognition that it should each year that passes.

RIP to those who lost their lives, but also spare a thought to those who survived and had severe burns or living with the trauma of seeing it in front of them.

It was horrendous. 54 Bradford fans perished and 2 Lincoln fans. Someone had locked the fire exits at the back of the stand and they couldn't get out. Just awful.

Minute of silence at all games today? 56 seats left empty?

Of course not, for some reason the tragedies at Bradford, Heysel and Birmingham are not recognised in the same way we all have to respect Hillsborough.

All tremendously sad occasions.

RIP to all the victims...

I can remember watching the game on TV as this unfolded. Started with a little bit of smoke and no-one on the commentary team was unduly concerned. What followed was horrific and lives with me to this day. To have been there or to have lost loved ones or to have those close to you involved is unthinkable. RIP to those who lost their lives and thoughts to those who still live with the memories and scars. Hope this date is recognised and respected as it should be.

It has always upset me that this tragic event doesn't get the media coverage of other events. While there may be some question as to who was at fault for Hillsborough, the Bradford fire was a total tragedy and deserves a lot more coverage.

R.I.P the 56.

I remember watching it on tv too, Grandstand wasnt it back then? We went there a few years later for a Littlewoods (?) cup game or something, it was all rebuilt by then, a shiny new stand when such developments were practically unheard of. It felt really eerie thinking of what had happened there.

And people re right, it's shocking it doesn't get the coverage. Why is a Premiership club supporters life remembered more than a lower league one.

Makes me shudder to think of those poor people in a fire in a WOODEN football stand, the same as the poor devils in fires involving wooden escalators on the Tube. Days when health and safety were hardly thought about.

You have got to say that things have changed out of all recognition in recent times on this issue.

Also think about the fans going to Sheffield Wednesday and Bradford City knowing those 2 terrible tragedies happened in their home ground.

RIP

RIP the 56. Somehow I suspect as they were from lower league sides there wont be a lot done. I would love to be proved wrong though.

There but for the Grace of God go any of us back then...

Nail hit firmly on head Bucks.

I'm just watching Mr Stelling and the 'boys' on Sky and they haven't even mentioned it. If it had been a Prem club, it would have been all over the news today.

Grow up.

What was wrong with my post? Liverpool make sure everyone in the football family pays respect so would it be bad for them to do the same? Judging by your 'grow up' comment. I'm assuming your 2nd team is Liverpool or you are perhaps the one that needs to grow up.

What was wrong with my post? Liverpool make sure everyone in the football family pays respect so would it be bad for them to do the same?

I'm inclined to agree with this. It would be very classy if Liverpool FC (and the rest for that matter) showed some empathy today.

I'm inclined to agree with this. It would be very classy if Liverpool FC (and the rest for that matter) showed some empathy today.

I don't agree that it would be particularly classy for Liverpool and others to mark the occasion, but it would show a massive lack of class not to do so.

People also forget about the selfless bravery of the police on duty that day, they were the last ones out of the stand trying to get everybody out, true British bobbies in every sense of the word, they were a credit to the uniform unlike those at Hillsborough!

No true football fan will ever forget. IMO, anyone who locks a fire exit, whatever the excuse, should be jailed for life. No ifs, no buts.

A couple of months after this, I demolished and burnt an old creosoted shed. The heat and the rapid spread of the flames took me back to those terrible pictures, and I had just an edge of an idea of what it must have been like.

And there's no need for plastic Mancs to use this tragedy as an excuse for taking a pop at Liverpool fans. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

What was wrong with my post? Liverpool make sure everyone in the football family pays respect so would it be bad for them to do the same? Judging by your 'grow up' comment. I'm assuming your 2nd team is Liverpool or you are perhaps the one that needs to grow up.

Then blame the bloody premier league for not ordering a minute silence.

I'm afraid the PL attitude is that Bradford aren't in the Prem any more so therefore they don't exist. It has bugger all to do with Liverpool or any other individual club.

Shocking footage! It's the first time I've ever seen that. Horrific. RIP 56.

It was used as an example in a health and safety course I had to go on re fire safety in a care home I once worked. The speed is impressive, scientifically, tbh but utterly horrific from a human perspective.

My forecast is that within 20 years, them with their heads up their arses who think they own football will introduce a remembrance weekend where all football related tragedies can be commemorated as one. Individual clubs concerned will each also hold heir own anniversaries.

As we've seen re other policies, change will be slow. And tiresome. And tedious. And nauseating.

It was used as an example in a health and safety course I had to go on re fire safety in a care home I once worked. The speed is impressive, scientifically, tbh but utterly horrific from a human perspective.

My forecast is that within 20 years, them with their heads up their arses who think they own football will introduce a remembrance weekend where all football related tragedies can be commemorated as one. Individual clubs concerned will each also hold heir own anniversaries.

As we've seen re other policies, change will be slow. And tiresome. And tedious. And nauseating.

If anybody remembers the Old Stand at the Gate (now the Dolman), or the popular end at Cardiff, then they can envisage what a fire there would have done, particularly if zealous idiots locked the fire escapes. I've been at the Gate in a 43,000 crowd and Ninian Park with over 60K. Anybody care to guess what the death toll might have been in a fire there?

Judge Taylor's report was wrong about a lot of things, but he was right in saying that a lot of our stadia weren't fit for purpose. Ironically, Hillsborough wasn't one of the worst, by any means. Pretty well all the stadia outside of the top few were potential death-traps.

Ok it's the premier leagues fault. Did the premier league also tell Liverpool to refuse to play games on the anniversary of Hillsborough. I just assumed they take it on themselves to decide how to respect disasters in the football family. So thought it would have been a nice gesture for them to respect another disaster. Especially this year when the conspiracy over Hillsborough has been in the limelight so much.

Archived