IGNORED

Steve Torpey

Bob Taylor is GOD

Remember his debut v Grimsby, when he scored a great diving header and knew **** all about it 'cos the keeper clattered him and he was out cold.

I thought then that we might have the new Robbie Turner...

...not quite, but he wasn't bad...

...and to be fair, he never had a Super Bob alongside him...

Remember his debut v Grimsby, when he scored a great diving header and knew **** all about it 'cos the keeper clattered him and he was out cold.

My recollection of that day was that the goal he scored didn't involve a collision with the keeper at all.

However about 10 minutes after scoring he collided with Mark Lever (who later joined us) and suffered a serious neck injury which affected his balance for some time.

When he returned he played a part in our promotion before suffering another unconnected injury (ankle?) that finished his season.

He was out of his depth at Championship level but Benny picked him as he improved us defensively and he gave Akinbiyi good support.

He was a limited, honest trier that Ward probably paid a bit too much for.

...not quite, but he wasn't bad...

...and to be fair, he never had a Super Bob alongside him...

I think that was the hottest day ever at a football match. Not just due to the weather but the low roof on the away end made it like sitting in a greenhouse!

My recollection of Torpey is that he always looked like he was capable of scoring. Anyone who only watched him for a few games might think that he was unlucky not to score, but the reality was he just didn't score often enough.

My recollection of Torpey is that he always looked like he was capable of scoring. Anyone who only watched him for a few games might think that he was unlucky not to score, but the reality was he just didn't score often enough.

Agreed. He also looked like he was giving all he could, which you can't say about a lot of City players down the years.

Limited but gave his best.

Agreed. He also looked like he was giving all he could, which you can't say about a lot of City players down the years.

Limited but gave his best.

I felt the same about Kevin Nugent as well, I have always had a bit of thing for players who are limited but know it. As long as they stick to what they are good at and don't try to be Maradona they can get themselves a pretty good career.

I always think of Richard Pryor who defended Leon Spinks on stage. "people say he is dumb, but he don't need no PHD to punch mofo's heads in" !! :)

Just going back to that era and reminiscing can anyone remember playing Watford on a Bank Holiday Monday in 1998?! Top of the table clash, about 19k in attendance, drew 1-1. Sean McCarthy who was on loan to us at the time scored the equaliser (only goal during his short spell) and then proceeded to do some sort of cartwheel/front flip celebration which was absolutely hilarious considering he was an ageing fat striker.

Just going back to that era and reminiscing can anyone remember playing Watford on a Bank Holiday Monday in 1998?! Top of the table clash, about 19k in attendance, drew 1-1. Sean McCarthy who was on loan to us at the time scored the equaliser (only goal during his short spell) and then proceeded to do some sort of cartwheel/front flip celebration which was absolutely hilarious considering he was an ageing fat striker.

Sean McCarthy scored his only goal for us in the final match at preston where he did the hilarious cartwheel you mention we lost 2-1 and ended up losing the

championship to Watford Rob Edwards scored our goal in that 1-1 Watford match

Sean McCarthy scored his only goal for us in the final match at preston where he did the hilarious cartwheel you mention we lost 2-1 and ended up losing the

I think McCarthy injured himself doing it .(his cartwheel you dirty sids ! )

Ah, thanks for clarifying, couldn't clearly remember who it was against.

Archived