IGNORED

Freeman

SuperRed

if he's playing League Two next season - what an absolute waste of talent

Some would argue that Jet/Baldock were wasted in league one. You are always going to get that aren't you. It works the other way when you see some players playing a a higher level and wonder how on earth they got there.

Indeed.  SC surreptitiously gave the impression that he wouldn't spend SL's money on Freeman in January, when he'd "already spoken to his agent - why spend money when he's free in the summer".

I said at the time, we should have stumped up the extra cash required to secure this signing.  I feel we've once again missed the boat on this one.  Shame really, but all too familiar a story going back many years for this club!

Just a little query here, i'm sure that it must SC's fault (that's a given) but I believe that we have a director of recruitment a guy called Keith Burt, WTF does he do all day?, i'm asking you Harry because i'm sure that you will know.

Not quite; Stevenage took up an option to keep him under contract for another year. I don't think Freeman had any say in the matter

This.

It will be almost certain there will be clauses in his contract allowing him to leave if the right offer comes in. Very few clubs these days would prevent any player wishing to further his career in a higher division with a bigger club.

If you dig your heels in and insist they stay, you only end up with a disaffected player who loses interest and motivation.

Clubs nearly always do what's best for themselves, and getting the best possible deal with sell ons and promotion add ons is the way they survive.

triggering the contract renewal is simply an insurance policy by Boro to ensure they recoup something worthwhile.

"If Bristol City want Stevenage winger Luke Freeman, they are going to have to pay for the privilege. City's hopes of signing the former Arsenal and Gillingham youngster on a free transfer were dealt a blow when he signed a new contract with relegated Stevenage. Rather than risk losing their star player for nothing, the Hertfordshire club triggered a clause in his contract giving them the option of retaining the 22-year-old for a further 12 months."

The Evil Post are running stories on this now...

Just a little query here, i'm sure that it must SC's fault (that's a given) but I believe that we have a director of recruitment a guy called Keith Burt, WTF does he do all day?, i'm asking you Harry because i'm sure that you will know.

Es - once SC was appointed, Burt's job was not the same.  SC said in his opening press conference that SC is in charge of recruitment.  Burt is not really a Director of Football any more, he's more of a Chief Scout I'd say.  SC has also been using some of his own 'trusted' sources for scouting.

So, to be brutally honest, no, I don't know exactly what KB does all day any more.  I assume he's out watching players like all the other scouts, I honestly don't think he acts in the DoF capacity any more.

On the Freeman point though, SC said in the Q&A in January that he didn't want to spend any more of SL's money than was necessary, and that since he's out of contract in the summer and he knows the agent, he's already had a little word - he then gave a knowing wink.

Basically, SL would have given SC the extra funds to buy Freeman in January, but SC said he didn't want the extra money as he'll get him for free in the summer.

I was at the meeting, and I quite clearly got the impression that Freeman would be a done deal in the summer, so long as we stayed up.  SC certainly suggested this would be the case.  So, if we don't sign Freeman, I'm going to be somewhat disappointed that we've missed yet another opportunity to bring highly rated youngsters to this club.

Es - once SC was appointed, Burt's job was not the same.  SC said in his opening press conference that SC is in charge of recruitment.  Burt is not really a Director of Football any more, he's more of a Chief Scout I'd say.  SC has also been using some of his own 'trusted' sources for scouting.

So, to be brutally honest, no, I don't know exactly what KB does all day any more.  I assume he's out watching players like all the other scouts, I honestly don't think he acts in the DoF capacity any more.

On the Freeman point though, SC said in the Q&A in January that he didn't want to spend any more of SL's money than was necessary, and that since he's out of contract in the summer and he knows the agent, he's already had a little word - he then gave a knowing wink.

Basically, SL would have given SC the extra funds to buy Freeman in January, but SC said he didn't want the extra money as he'll get him for free in the summer.

I was at the meeting, and I quite clearly got the impression that Freeman would be a done deal in the summer, so long as we stayed up.  SC certainly suggested this would be the case.  So, if we don't sign Freeman, I'm going to be somewhat disappointed that we've missed yet another opportunity to bring highly rated youngsters to this club.

OK Harry let me tell you what really is on my mind.

SC was never my first choice, but now that the dust has settled and most people have seen that SOD's reign really was the emperors new clothes, that only a few forward believing members of this forum actually saw. The impending doom that those believers predicted has failed to materialise, what is there left?, of course let's blame SC for every single other matter they might crop up.

You and Spudski keep on banging on about young players, foreign coaches and academies run along the lines of some of the bigger foreign clubs, therefore don't you find it strange that in the prem with the exception of manu, arsenal and everton over the past 20 years most prem clubs have an awful record of bringing young talent through?, Chelsea and Manc rob a lot of other academies and still cannot get it right, manu's recent academy product are not exactly world beaters, so who in the prem or football league are the clubs that we should be looking at as shining beacons of a successful academy? or actually are we no better or no worse than virtually every other club in the UK? and bear in mind we are a 3rd tier club and 3 academy players + Williams have just completed what can be considered as break through seasons.

As for Freeman perhaps the misinformation is down to the people that you and spudski get your insider info from and hold up as paragons of virtue within the football world 'agents'.

Archived