IGNORED

Memorial Ground Heritage Site?

Cloggie

If it's just the gates them there shouldnd't be an issue as they will be well looked after.

Delaying tactics indeed.

I'd be seriously concerned though. English heritage is full of people who revel in p***ing other people off.

Another spurious, anonymous application with the sole intention of delaying the sale of the site to Sainsburys.

What the **** is wrong with the people of Bristol, seriously?

It's funny cus its them but what a backward city we live in.

Weren't they proposing to keep the actual memorial gates anyway?

Yes, the gates are to be incorporated into a Memorial Garden which has the backing of the Royal British Legion (in fairness, that kind of support is difficult to argue with). It sounds like someone is trying to get the whole site officially made into a memorial, you could argue it already is in a way because of the inscription on the gates however this surely wouldn't succeed in the long run due to the fact that part of the land has already been sold for housing in the past.

That's my understanding anyway. As you say, its a stalling tactic but if I was a Gashead I'd be worried at how this further delay could effect the costs.

Yes, the gates are to be incorporated into a Memorial Garden which has the backing of the Royal British Legion (in fairness, that kind of support is difficult to argue with). It sounds like someone is trying to get the whole site officially made into a memorial, you could argue it already is in a way because of the inscription on the gates however this surely wouldn't succeed in the long run due to the fact that part of the land has already been sold for housing in the past.

That's my understanding anyway. As you say, its a stalling tactic but if I was a Gashead I'd be worried at how this further delay could effect the costs.

i'd be more worried about sainsburys myself they are cutting the mega stores they planned to build and going down the smaller store route, with rumours of them renegoatiating could another delay (rumoured to be 5 months) be the final straw and they pull out,

all these major things have get out clauses

i'd be more worried about sainsburys myself they are cutting the mega stores they planned to build and going down the smaller store route, with rumours of them renegoatiating could another delay (rumoured to be 5 months) be the final straw and they pull out,

If the sale of the Mem did fall through (not that I imagine it will now) it would surely put Lansdown in a really difficult position as regards moving the Rugby Club to Ashton Gate? No doubt some thick Sags will still think SL is behind every hurdle that's been thrown in the way....'cos ee be full of rage if tha Gas get their stadium fuurst'.

Construction costs are starting to surge (I hope we sign our agreement soon), and as you mention here and I have mentioned elsewhere before Sainsburys (and other stores) are now investing in convenience and online rather than superstores so they may also pull out. They could sell for housing but I believe the land will be worth a lot more as a supermarket so everything is depending on Sainsburys still wanting it!

The way I see it is. The Memorial Stadium is just that! Thus the application to English Heritage has merit! I would also suggest that EH will agree and even if they don't I suspect they will have an appeals process which could be followed by other appeals up to the Secretary of State. Watch this space Mr Higgs!

The way I see it is. The Memorial Stadium is just that! Thus the application to English Heritage has merit! I would also suggest that EH will agree and even if they don't I suspect they will have an appeals process which could be followed by other appeals up to the Secretary of State. Watch this space Mr Higgs!

Actually Rovers would own the stadium, it's the ground it would be standing on that would be leased. Whether the agreement with UWE allows the sale of the ground without UWE's say so, is another matter.

The solution is simple. Rovers build a movable stadium with the terracing made from scaffolding poles with a few portacabins for conference (excuse the pun) facilities. This would mean that if things go pear shaped they could easily move the stadium to a cheaper site - e g amalgamate with Bristol Manor Farm - in the future.

If there's a 5 month delay starting the build, then would that mean an extra season's delay in using the stadium (don't know the rules about moving in to a new stadium)? If so, then that's a lot of money wasted. Also, a lot can happen in 5 months. Starting a team from scratch, Rovers are unlikely to storm the conference. A few losses would mean that gashead expectations lower and the idea of a 21000 capacity stadium would seem even more ridiculous for an established conference club. Reduced confidence and the scapegoats provided by English Heritage and TRASH would give the Rovers board of directors get out of jail cards if the whole project fails.

Actually Rovers would own the stadium, it's the ground it would be standing on that would be leased. Whether the agreement with UWE allows the sale of the ground without UWE's say so, is another matter.

My land law knowledge may be out of date, but certainly when I was studying there was absolutely no way whatsoever what you suggest is happening could happen.

I was taught the landowner owns the land and everything on it. Ownership of land could not be separated from a building, but the landowner could grant interests in the building.

I'm not sure english heritage actually possess much power. I'm admittedly not particularly clued up on this - I'm sure someone else can put me right - but I think they can only recommend that something should be preserved. I don't think they have ant final say, but the nature of the beast, ie the type of person that is attracted to work for such organisations are usually of a certain kind...if you catch my drift.

The result is that quite often, unwanted or unneeded pressure is applied.

I'm not sure english heritage actually possess much power. I'm admittedly not particularly clued up on this - I'm sure someone else can put me right - but I think they can only recommend that something should be preserved. I don't think they have ant final say, but the nature of the beast, ie the type of person that is attracted to work for such organisations are usually of a certain kind...if you catch my drift.

The result is that quite often, unwanted or unneeded pressure is applied.

Well how about asking Sir Tony Robinson to get his Mates to ask English heritage to dig the mem up for Time Team, they might find something even more compelling to stop the sale.

"This smells of **** and by that I mean I wouldn't be surprised to see that toad Lansdown pop up as the root cause of all these problems by funding them. I have no knowledge about it but a gut feeling that he harbours sour grapes that we have had the stadium plans accepted and his plans for the village green stadium for the teds turned down"

"This smells of **** and by that I mean I wouldn't be surprised to see that toad Lansdown pop up as the root cause of all these problems by funding them. I have no knowledge about it but a gut feeling that he harbours sour grapes that we have had the stadium plans accepted and his plans for the village green stadium for the teds turned down"

What smells more to me is self promoter red trousers put his support behind this scheme, a scheme putting another supermarket in an area that doesn't need another supermarket and yet opposed the re-location of one supermarket to a better location.

Where's this from fella?

Basically, EH recommend to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (probably renamed now as they change it every 6 months). Assume it will be assessed as to whether the site is worthy of Ancient Monument status. If it is that'll scupper redevelopment.

Pretty unlikely in my view.

Basically, EH recommend to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (probably renamed now as they change it every 6 months). Assume it will be assessed as to whether the site is worthy of Ancient Monument status. If it is that'll scupper redevelopment.

Pretty unlikely in my view.

I'd assume viability does not rest on the assessment. Delays, delays, delays all add to frustrate all parties. Parties ring fencing funds for the project will soon tire and wonder where this ends, they will also be questioning is this worth it. The more strong ill feeling, coupled with sainsbury's overt plans to stop development, with UWE now facing potentially longer without the promised student accommodation, with Rovers another seasons in the mem (probably) all pulls more bricks from the Jenga tower, something I'd presume is now quite frail.

I wholeheartedly believe that this stadium will not happen. Time will tell whether my opinion is right or wrong.

I'd assume viability does not rest on the assessment. Delays, delays, delays all add to the and and add to frustrate all parties. Parties ring fencing funds for the project will soon tire and wonder where this ends, they will also be questioning is this worth it. The more strong and ill feeling, coupled with sainsbury's overt plans to stop development, with UWE now facing potentially longer without the promised student accommodation, with Rovers another seasons in the mem (probably) all pulls more bricks from the Jenga tower, something I'd presume is now quite frail.

I wholeheartedly believe that this stadium will not happen. Time will tell whether my opinion is right or wrong.

I agree and I suspect in the current climate of cancelling developments, Sainsbury's must getting pretty pissed off.

I like the way that one of his mates tries to help him out by seemingly suggesting that he just posted it to get bites. Anyone with access to social networks knows full well that there are plenty of thick Gasheads out there who think that they are so important that Lansdown would do anything to stop their stadium plans. If the Mem doesn't get sold that must put SL in a really difficult position, there's no way the Rugby Club and their fans would want to leave their spiritual home and move to Ashton Gate if they can stay in Horfield.

Try explaining that to some of the bone heads though.

Archived