IGNORED

Memorial Ground Heritage Site?

Cloggie

1914 - 18 IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE SERVICES RENDERED TO THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR BY RUGBY FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF BRISTOL THIS GROUND WAS ESTABLISHED......1921...... 1939-45 AND IN THE WORLD WAR OF 1939 - 45 THE RUGBY FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THIS CITY GAVE THEIR SERVICES AND THEIR LIVES TO THEM ALSO THIS GROUND IS A MEMORIAL.

1914 - 18 IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE SERVICES RENDERED TO THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR BY RUGBY FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF BRISTOL THIS GROUND WAS ESTABLISHED......1921...... 1939-45 AND IN THE WORLD WAR OF 1939 - 45 THE RUGBY FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THIS CITY GAVE THEIR SERVICES AND THEIR LIVES TO THEM ALSO THIS GROUND IS A MEMORIAL.

Regardless of the gates, or the houses that have been built - the ground, as in the area where you can watch and play sport, still exists at this moment in time as a memorial.

All this talk of creating a memorial garden next to Sainsburys is baloney as it will no longer be a ground!

Forget the gas accidentally losing any covenant for the ground, the writing on that pillar IS the contract, and every Bristolian knows that.

Where does a covenant or benevolent donation stand in modern day law? Anybody know?

Morally, we all know it's very wrong how this has been overlooked (up until now) but is a 100 year old covenant a legally binding contract?

Where does a covenant or benevolent donation stand in modern day law? Anybody know?

Morally, we all know it's very wrong how this has been overlooked (up until now) but is a 100 year old conveniently misplaced covenant a legally binding contract?

Let me correct that for you :-)

I've always been for the rovers getting their ground, but having read the plaque properly my mind has changed.

I've always been pretty non-plussed by NLBR's attempts to build their bowl but actually reading what is on the gates has filled me with rage.

Rage that they continuously spout the line that "only the gates are the memorial"

Rage that they want to do this in the year of the 100th anniversary of start of the Great War.

Rage that they propogate the lie that this is somehow for the benefit of the people of Bristol. The people of Bristol have made their sacrifice for the country and you are destroying their memory.

It's somehow apt that this short-sighted charlatan of a football club are doing this to move to a soulless bowl... As only a club without soul would do this.

Another question.

If, as it appears, Bris move away from the mem, does that mean the covenant no longer applies as it wouldn't be used for rugby football?

I would assume not as the GROUND (not the bloody gates) is a memorial to the memory of the fallen not their particular sport?

I've always been pretty non-plussed by NLBR's attempts to build their bowl but actually reading what is on the gates has filled me with rage.

Rage that they continuously spout the line that "only the gates are the memorial"

Rage that they want to do this in the year of the 100th anniversary of start of the Great War.

Rage that they propogate the lie that this is somehow for the benefit of the people of Bristol. The people of Bristol have made their sacrifice for the country and you are destroying their memory.

It's somehow apt that this short-sighted charlatan of a football club are doing this to move to a soulless bowl... As only a club without soul would do this.

Well said Sam !

When did you put in the application ?

It is an interesting one, the gates are grade 2 listed which is why they have to remain but if you look at the listing on the English Heritage site it says:-

Reasons for Designation: The Gate Piers and Gates at the Memorial Stadium are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical: as a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events upon this small community
* Context: the gate piers are intact and retain their context as the entranceway to the Memorial Stadium

That seems to suggest that the context of the gates is important, EH might take this seriously.

Frustrated as hell that people would not listen to me ages ago.

The problem is Tiz, people who have pointed out that what is written on the gates suggests that the memorial is actually the ground itself (not just the gates) are often accused of just being jealous of the UWE Stadium, bitter that the Gas are likely to get their ground first or both. The whole 'it's just the gates' argument seems to be flawed by what is clearly written on there.

Actually, thinking about it ... they're probably trying to get it included in the 'historic park or garden' register.

Again, will be English Heritage. Lesser legal status than an 'Ancient Monument' but will be a buggeration factor for the SAGs if it is designated. I can only assume that as planning permission has been granted, EH would have to pay massive compensation to rescind the planning permission for Sainsburys if they decide to designate. Given the prominence of the application, serious questions would need to be asked of EH if they do designate as to why they didn't intervene at an early stage (i.e. before the granting of pp).

Probably isn't a major threat to the stadium proposal aside from time delays as Sainsburys unlikely to pay any cash until resolved.

My hope is that Eh will investigate the deeds and covenants missing deeds could reaaly be big. I am hoping the alleged missing papers are found even if in copy form. The gates though say it all for me

I can only assume that as planning permission has been granted, EH would have to pay massive compensation to rescind the planning permission for Sainsburys if they decide to designate. Given the prominence of the application, serious questions would need to be asked of EH if they do designate as to why they didn't intervene at an early stage (i.e. before the granting of pp).

Probably isn't a major threat to the stadium proposal aside from time delays as Sainsburys unlikely to pay any cash until resolved.

This is spot on I think. EH would've had to assess the site when planning permission was submitted. The gates were listed in 2010 but not the ground. What has changed in 4 years that means the ground should suddenly be listed?

It's a spurious application and time wasting tactic.

I like the way that one of his mates tries to help him out by seemingly suggesting that he just posted it to get bites. Anyone with access to social networks knows full well that there are plenty of thick Gasheads out there who think that they are so important that Lansdown would do anything to stop their stadium plans. If the Mem doesn't get sold that must put SL in a really difficult position, there's no way the Rugby Club and their fans would want to leave their spiritual home and move to Ashton Gate if they can stay in Horfield.

Try explaining that to some of the bone heads though.

They do have some good posters on that site... but because the roverstalk mob have all flooded more bitter comments about us "teds" will appear

No it is not. Have you read the words on the gate

Yep, and I'm sure EH did in 2010 but they chose not to list the ground - what's changed?

SoS will never list the ground given the governments current "get things built" policy.

And can you imagine how much Sainsburys would sue EH for?

Sorry mate but not happening IMO.

'Listing' relates to buildings or structures, the stadium itself would not qualify for 'listed' status. EH would have taken into account the setting of the gates in commenting on the planning app.

What's happening now is that the opponents are testing other forms of historic protection that may/may not be warranted for the stadium itself.

The covenants - if they are missing - could be critical though. That said, can't believe Sainsbury's would have gone so far down the line if that was a known risk.

I just think someone has a copy of that document. It could be more through hope than anything else. I am a proud Bristolian and Bristol rugby club was as deep as City for me. My love for the rugby club was lost when they allowed rovers to "steal" the mem. As I keep saying the combination has as much claim as Bristol. Bristol Rugby is still a deep love and think ashton gate is a better place for them. But I see the building of a super market as a desecration of a war memorial. Clever people bend words and I am simple.....its states ground not gates

I couldnt care less if English heritage do have to pay compensation to the gas. I hope it doesnt come to that but the mem was given to me and my fellow egg chasers in memory of those egg chasers before me whole gave the ultimate sacrifice. If sainsburys is built on that its a desecration

Archived