IGNORED

Fleetwood Town F . C

double-trouble

For those that sadly know me and the many lucky that don't.......

having moved to Cleveleys , half way house between FD and Blackpoo some 12 years ago , how excited am I .

The club I followed while living in Bristol ( Bemmie the last 13 ) for 38 years will be playing the team I have grown to follow the last 5 1/2 seasons .

Little known fact....I was Hollowheads unofficial interpreter for his first 3 months in Blackpoo as no one had a bloody clue what he was on about...hold on I speaks like ee .

Still follow the City where pos . north of Brum , but now be able to watch FD against City and Swindon . 

Been following one of the best fans forums in the country OTIB for a while rather than posting but have to post having seen the many comments on the thread regarding the 2nd division play offs between FD and Burton .

As with all fans forums there is a great knowledge base of other clubs , but much viewed by me on the thread is untrue , hearsay or the usual crap that London based SKY indoctrinate us with through the Beagries of this world .

If you want to know a little of the club , the players , a very forward thinking chairman , very big future plans  in terms of a perc . small club by other teams fans , the supporters , the facilities then ask away .

The rivalry and banter between City and the Gas is the one thing I have missed in living here and can only get my fix through OTIB and family . 

The achievements of FTFC in my short time here has never been seen before in english footie where money has always been seen as the reason .

There are many fans throughout the country who until the past 2 seasons will never have heard of FD or know where it is .

But for a town of such a small population ( approx 26,000 ) , stuck out on the coast and surrounded by sea on 3 sides , with a club of Blackpoo's success in the few seasons prior to the last only 6 miles away , having the big prem sides an hour away alongwith the many great social issues along this stretch of the north west , its a story that many die hard fans view as boys own .

I read somewhere a few months ago that average home attendance   v  population saw FTFC sit 2nd in a league table of best supported clubs ( but where is that source  ? )

Anyway keep up the Gasbash on the forum.....loving it sadly from afar , its makes us laugh .

Strawberry Gardens ok though? Looking forward to an awaytrip mid October or eastertime ;)

cod army.

Syd Little is the chef there now and has a share in the ownership me thinks .

Depending on the boys in blue and the club agreeing , try out Jims bar at the club..very impressive .

You won 't be able to get into the Parkside bars but seen to be believed .

Jims should be o.k as the Gasheads have been allowed in the last 2 seasons

Strawberry Gardens ok though? Looking forward to an awaytrip mid October or eastertime ;)

cod army.

As for the Strawberry Gdns , at the last count 3 weeks ago i think there was over 20 different real ales on the tap .

Its why the place is so popular , with all the troubles pubs have trying to get the punters in through modern day taxes , personal economy etc.... the locals really support it .

Decent meals as well for those that travel up on the day .

I guess it's the same as say Yate Town climbing up through the leagues despite having a big league club nearby?

Or the old Almondsbury Greenway side in th late 70's who got to the Vase final in 1979 I think , Mangotsfield a few years ago ,Tiverton and Taunton in the western league in the early 1990s . All looked good in their respective times with a view to progressing...but hey ho it never happened for any of them . 

Its not just about the playing side but the finances , infrastructure etc.. as I previously mentioned .

The pre matchday experience for both home and away ( depending as I said and police / club agreeing ) in Jims bar is something I've not seen anywhere else before onmy football traves and the Parkside stand is a step up from Jims .

Large plasma screens throughout the room ( around 20 ) and even throughout the toilets . 

Plans in also I believe for further improvements to 2 other sides of the ground ( Ronson and Highbury ) but housing nearby inhibits build height me thinks .

Christ I've slagged some away grounds of over the years at the likes of Oldham , York and Carlisle ( and York has'nt changed as watched Fleetwood there 3 weeks ago ) , but Highbury is changing dramatically season on season both on and off pitch with the 6 promos in a decade .

If you have not been to Chesterfields ground before , that is a ground that impressed me last season on 2 occasions .

After much thought , it looks like there is no option but to still sit on the fence once the season and games come around . 

Is the away end a tiny terrace still?

The ground itself only holds app 5 , 500 ish ( without googleing it this min ) and about 1400 is allocated to away fans which that no . may include the first section of the new seated  Parkside stand .

The stand when full certainly makes some noise ( Chesterfield , Rochdale , Morecombe this season ) being enclosed with a low roof and I know the cidereds will rock it when visiting .

Like all new clubs to the football league , it has had its fair share of visitors from those looking to join / or in the 92 club where thoughts of the matchday experience has been very encouraging .

Some decent pubs around although many as you know from Blackpoo visits over the years , stay there in the land of KOKOs tangerqueens .

Problem is , its just another long long way to travel  as there are quite a few northern destinations for City next season .

Don't forget that when Wimbledon were elected to the league their nearest rivals in both the Southern League and the vote were Minehead Town.

Yes,very true,amazing that they now play in the Somerset Senior league!

I've often thought about how Minehead did so well back then,I can only think that with thousands of construction workers from all over the country building Butlins, ( it coincided ) there must have been some very good footballers staying in the town.

I am from Trowbridge and the team are absolutely awful, gotta be one of the worst teams in Wiltshire! All went down hill when they moved their ground to a pitch which is a marsh, says it all! With proper funding I think they could be up where Frome and Chippenham are easily!

I remember Trowbridge being half decent in the late 80s too. What happened to them?

Yes, Alan Birchenall was player-manager for a few years ( younger readers may want to Google him ) and took them into the Gola ?League ( now Conference ) in the early 80's. I watched a few games at Frome Road and it had a very strange grandstand with the boardroom on the roof - a bit like the old press box at Eastville.

I think the ground was damaged badly in a fire and the club suffered financial implosion. They are now County League level but ought to be Southern League given the size of Trowbridge.

The ground itself only holds app 5 , 500 ish ( without googleing it this min ) and about 1400 is allocated to away fans which that no . may include the first section of the new seated Parkside stand .

The stand when full certainly makes some noise ( Chesterfield , Rochdale , Morecombe this season ) being enclosed with a low roof and I know the cidereds will rock it when visiting .

Like all new clubs to the football league , it has had its fair share of visitors from those looking to join / or in the 92 club where thoughts of the matchday experience has been very encouraging .

Some decent pubs around although many as you know from Blackpoo visits over the years , stay there in the land of KOKOs tangerqueens .

Problem is , its just another long long way to travel as there are quite a few northern destinations for City next season .

Does that mean yes or no?

Having seen Fleetwood play this season they are a decent side who have a bit of money for them to spend. However having said this we did go to their ground and beat them 4-0 after losing 4-0 at home to York 3 days earlier. They currently have their right back who is in the Northern Ireland national team

Having seen Fleetwood play this season they are a decent side who have a bit of money for them to spend. However having said this we did go to their ground and beat them 4-0 after losing 4-0 at home to York 3 days earlier. They currently have their right back who is in the Northern Ireland national team

And Argyle were top quality that day and if I remember rightly  were on a run and pushing towards the play offsat the time...for Fleetwood one of those off days in a season where inconsistent surprisingly at home . Over the season as you know is usually a fairer reflection of a sides fortunes and as is said the league table does ' nt lie at the end . 

Does that mean yes or no?

Yes , compared to some grounds in L1 . Hopefully it will be full of city fans as already some FD locals are looking forward to Preston , Coventry , Sheff Utd , Bradford etc.. arriving .

As I said , part of the Parkside seating is allocated to away fans also so bigger away followings and atmosphere will be welcome . 

I believe there's a player at Fleetwood who's played for them during all 6/7 of their promotions, I reckon that's brilliant, must be hard to jump up all those standards and still be playing!

their centre back, Nathan Pond,

I believe there's a player at Fleetwood who's played for them during all 6/7 of their promotions, I reckon that's brilliant, must be hard to jump up all those standards and still be playing!

When Graham Alexander came to Fleetwood he obviously had his thoughts and ideas on what he wanted at the club as all new managers do . Having a team that had come up from the Conf . only a few months before and at the time had made a decent start in the new L2 , he wasted no time in changing the squad that inc . his players , signings and clearing out in the Jan window those players there under Micky Mellon and as you know an ex . city player .

Nathan Pond and Scott Davies the keeper seemed to be the only 2 that throughout the changeover of managers that had kept their places in the team but Pondy found himself at the start of the season turning in decent performances for Grimsby in the Conf . out on loan .

Eventually coming back to FD with the reason between FD fans that Grimsby could ' nt find the money to buy him , Ryan Cresswell was an Alexander signing  from Southend now in the side . With an Cresswell injury , Pondy had his chance to regain and retain his position alongside Mark Roberts ( ex . Stevenage ) the captain , where they have looked very solid throughout the final few month .

Fortress Highbury that home fans had been use through many promos  was gradually being invaded by away sides like Exeter , Plymouth , Burton and even Mansfield who scored 4 in a late defeat .

With Pondy and Roberts together , conceeding goals dried up and stability at the back with Mcgloughlin ( top quality this season and don ' t think he will leave to go to City ) , Charlie Taylor ( loanee from Leeds who even though has just signed a new 3 year contract at Leeds , we hope will be back for the season ? ) and Wales former u'21 keeper Chris Maxwell who returned from Conf . leaders Cambridge on loan .

Pondy is a very quiet chap who has won various and many accolades at the club throughout 10 years and in this his testimonial year . To have come from non pro . league , into the N.W Conf , turn pro with the club turning pro in the Conf , be part of the promo to league status then another promo into L1 without ever looking out of place defies logic in the modern game .

He has even had a local beer named after him this year ,now thats fame .

Next season he will once again get on with whats up against him without fuss and looking like a fish out of water ...be interesting against the Baldocks of the league as quality like his is sharper and consistant than that played so far .

Archived