IGNORED

Come And Have A Go If You Think You're Hard Enough

I watched a programme on bbc2 last night about 1980 and sportsmen like Duncan Goodhew who were talking about competing in the 1980 olympic games in Moscow ignoring the USA and German boycott because sport transcended politics, 34 years on apparently not and this coming after a warning about possible violence between Argentine and England fans.

Poxy Island of know worth or value, costs us more money than it's worth, if the 100 or so Falklanders want to be British so much then stick them on an Island off of Scotland somewhere so they can feel quite at home, about time we did the right thing and started giving back all the lands we stole during our shameful imperialistic past 

Poxy Island of know worth or value, costs us more money than it's worth, if the 100 or so Falklanders want to be British so much then stick them on an Island off of Scotland somewhere so they can feel quite at home, about time we did the right thing and started giving back all the lands we stole during our shameful imperialistic past 

So should we give the Falklands back to France or Spain? They are the only two other peoples to have lived on that island.

If it's so 'poxy' as you state this is probably why Argentina showed so little interest in it historically. Of course they can now use it as an issue to attempt to deflect attention from their own dire economy. And I wonder if FIFA can approve of using the beautiful game as a vehicle for political protest, see the link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27383488

Outrageous behaviour in my opinion, like that disgraceful video the hockey player made before the Olympics. I make the only protest available to me and refuse to buy Argentinian wine.

You silly little do gooder

You ignorant scrote.

If it's so 'poxy' as you state this is probably why Argentina showed so little interest in it historically. Of course they can now use it as an issue to attempt to deflect attention from their own dire economy. And I wonder if FIFA can approve of using the beautiful game as a vehicle for political protest, see the link;

Outrageous behaviour in my opinion, like that disgraceful video the hockey player made before the Olympics. I make the only protest available to me and refuse to buy Argentinian wine.

Half of Patagonia is Welsh. I am sure you are already boycotting Welsh goods any way. :)

Basically its all down to proximity, they are closer. The Islands lie just off the Argentinian continental shelf therefore they think its theirs......But by that logic maybe us Brits should be preparing an invasion force to take France :laugh:. Argentina, with the exception of a few months in 1982, has NEVER officially owned the Falklands. It has never had any rights over the Falklands at all. Spain had some claim to the islands in the 19th century and i think the Argentinians base their claim from this, but it was Spain NOT Argentina, Argentina was not even a recognised country at that time as they had not been granted independence from Spain (i'll come to that later). There have been a few owners of the Falklands, the name used by the Argies stems from the original name given by the French who i think found the islands. After that there was Dutch involvement then British. The British left in part due to the American War of Independence, they were not forced out but left for economical reasons. However they left a plaque asserting continued rights to the islands. This is where the Spanish come in who seem to have colonised the islands in the British absence. But the British did return in 1833 and have been there ever since. Nowhere in any of this complicated mess of ownership is there any involvement from the Argentinians, why? Because they were not even a recognised country-Argentina quite frankly did not exist!

Which brings us to todays problems. Argentinas claims are part proximity part "because the Spanish owned them" and i suppose Argentina sees itself as the continuation of Spanish rule. They throw all sorts of insults at Britain for its colonial past, frequently calling us pirates....Which to be truthful is a bit of a joke considering the whole continent of South America was stolen by Spaniards and Portuguese from the native Indians indigenous to that area. If the Argentinians (a mixture of Spaniards, Italians, Germans and Austrians) want to call us pirates and order our expulsion from lands we "supposedly" stole from their country, then maybe they should pack up and leave the whole continent that they as Spaniards stole from the Indians! But then again we are not arguing with Spain over this, we are arguing with Argentina so in that respect how can we take something from a country that did not at that time exist :laugh:?

A major sacrifice :o

Won't somebody think of the Malbec!

For a start it is 1600 Falklanders, not 100 ! Are they not entitled to self determination, one of the fundamental rights of international law ?!

99.9% of them recently voted to remain British, after all !

Why do people like you hate your own country so much ?

Who fills your head with phrases like "shameful imperialistic past" ?

Leftie university lecturers or just a load of other students ?

I would rather you were dumped on an island off Scotland rather than those patriotic Falklanders.

Well, I've stopped drinking Welsh wine - we have to make these sacrifices for our principles :noexp:

I did try Welsh wine once; 'once' being the operative word. Actually I've also given up Spanish wine until they stop pratting around over Gibraltar.

For a start it is 1600 Falklanders, not 100 ! Are they not entitled to self determination, one of the fundamental rights of international law ?!

I would rather you were dumped on an island off Scotland rather than those patriotic Falklanders.

To be fair our imperialistic past should not be seen in a good light. From trading people, to drug running, cruelty to local populations etc. 

I would rather you were dumped on an island off Scotland rather than those patriotic Falklanders

Quite right GB.

We could add that Argentina itself has a "shameful imperial past". 99.8% of the people living there are not indigenous, were not living there when the Falklands were discovered and are basically living on stolen Amerindian land.

If they want to turn the clock back 180 years, then I suggest the majority of Argentines f- off back to Spain, Italy and the Middle East.

Incredible view presumably based on youth and ignorance - it would be an interesting conservation between you and the families of one of our brave soldiers who sadly lost their lives after it had been invaded by the Argies...

To be fair our imperialistic past should not be seen in a good light. From trading people, to drug running, cruelty to local populations etc. 

You are quite right, of course.

However, the crimes you list were centuries ago. Since then we have brought many positive attributes with us overseas, and passed them on to other countries.

People like Harrys, who are only interested in slagging this country off, need to remember this.

You are quite right, of course.

However, the crimes you list were centuries ago. Since then we have brought many positive attributes with us overseas, and passed them on to other countries.

People like Harrys, who are only interested in slagging this country off, need to remember this.

Such as in Kenya where we brought in concentration camps in the 50's

So should we give the Falklands back to France or Spain? They are the only two other peoples to have lived on that island.

Give them to Spain. The weather's better there. Give Argentina back to the indigenous peoples who lived there prior to the Spanish conquest.

Archived