IGNORED

Rik Mayall

The Gasbuster

I was a little young to catch the Young Ones (seen them since) but my Dad used to frequenly allow me and my brother to watch his Bottom.

To this day my brother and I still quote Eddie and Richie at each other often when insulting each other.

Does anyone remember Filthy, Rich and Catflap? That was better than the Young Ones for me, but no one seems to have even heard of it that I was speaking to at work today! It was genuis.

that first sentence is so wrong in so many ways :laugh:

yeah Filthy Rich and Catflap was good, still preferred the Young ones though.  Used to see them filming it up in Henleaze

FR&C was inbetween the two and laid foundation for Bottom. It's quite shocking to watch the young ones and see some of the language they used.. Would never get away with it now!

I think Ade Edmondson wanted to do a post bottom series but Rik didn't, hence the breakup as such

Doubt it. After them almost switching off life-support he made a full recovery... more likely a heart attack or something...

...that said, if Ozzy Ozbourne pops his clogs anytime soon you may be right...

My money's on an epileptic seizure. The injuries he received in the crash left him with epilepsy and so, in a way, he may have died as a result of his quad bike misadventure - 16 years on.

Mayall was, by his own admission, vain, bombastic and obsessed with money. He was also a bastard with women - when his girlfriend (and co-writer on the Young Ones) Lise Mayer was pregnant, he had an affair with a make-up woman, got her pregnant too then ran-off with her. Lise subsequently lost her baby.

Fortunately he was also generous with time, ideas, advice and friendship; loyal to friends (apart from Lise!) and very talented.

I loved the Young Ones and the New Statesman in the 80s, but viewed now I think the combination of OTT characterisation, shouting and constant Thatcher references has dated it terribly.

That doesn't hide the fact that Mayall was a very fine comic actor and - when I saw him on stage in The Government Inspector - very good in straight roles too.

RIP Rik

I was a little young to catch the Young Ones (seen them since) but my Dad used to frequenly allow me and my brother to watch his Bottom.

To this day my brother and I still quote Eddie and Richie at each other often when insulting each other.

Does anyone remember Filthy, Rich and Catflap? That was better than the Young Ones for me, but no one seems to have even heard of it that I was speaking to at work today! It was genuis.

I'd get hold of the operation yewtree detectives if I were you

Correct in essence but the other way around... Mayall wanted to do it, Edmondson started writing it and then decided he didn't.

Yup, it was going to be the two of them as old men.  Ade said they weren't old enough and Rik said "Yes, it's called acting".

Also Ade seemed to enjoy his other work more (plays in a band, shows on aspects of English life), shame as I'd like to have seen that one.

Tbh whilst I thought the first couple of series of Bottom were about the funniest thing on TV it did begin to run out of steam after that.

Yup, it was going to be the two of them as old men.  Ade said they weren't old enough and Rik said "Yes, it's called acting".

Also Ade seemed to enjoy his other work more (plays in a band, shows on aspects of English life), shame as I'd like to have seen that one.

Tbh whilst I thought the first couple of series of Bottom were about the funniest thing on TV it did begin to run out of steam after that.

i don't know I think all three series had strong and weak points,

Terror in series 3 was really funny when richie kept shitting himself because of the cattle prod, and they get mugged by those kids,

or s Out when they are camping on wimbledon common in series 2 always makes me laugh,

and s Up when they are running the shope and get stuck on the roof watching the test match........

Terror in series 3 was really funny when richie kept shitting himself because of the cattle prod, and they get mugged by those kids,

or s Out when they are camping on wimbledon common in series 2 always makes me laugh,

and s Up when they are running the shope and get stuck on the roof watching the test match........

's Out was great.  It was actually pulled at the time because of the Rachel Nickell murder and the scenes of a nude bloke stalking them on Wimbledon Common were really not appropriate.

's Out was great.  It was actually pulled at the time because of the Rachel Nickell murder and the scenes of a nude bloke stalking them on Wimbledon Common were really not appropriate.

and thats what was so great about it, it pushed the boundrys, thats why todays comedy is no where near as good as it was in the 80's and 90's

The camping episode is one of my favorites. The scene with the dart is just classic Richie and Eddie. Must mention hedgehog hunting with hob nobs.....Mrs Tiddywinkle!

Culture was my favourite, when they play chess and the other episode (cant remember the title) when they were betting on Sad Ken, the blind three legged horse :D

The Young Ones was brilliant to, the first series was pretty avant-garde and the second series was more zany but equally as brilliant. The only thing I never particularly liked was the Alexi Sayle segment, just never found it that funny but the characters of Rik, Vyvyan and Neil in particular were hilarious and more than made up for it, Bambi and Interesting for me were the best episodes.

The shop one is brilliant.

"That's your name is it? Mr 55p"

"You put back that dream topping! I've got a photographic memory!"

Quality.

Never speak ill of the dead but comedy legend is stretching it a bit surely,young ones and bottom were benny hill in disguise,bottle over the head,bstard was ok but just ok,but never let a death get in the the way of the facts

Facts? What facts? Comedy is funny to some and not to others, that is a fact. What you have stated is your opinion. But don't let that get in the way of facts. ;)

Never speak ill of the dead but comedy legend is stretching it a bit surely,young ones and bottom were benny hill in disguise,bottle over the head,bstard was ok but just ok,but never let a death get in the the way of the facts

How can an individuals own perception of what is funny and who is a legend or not be factual?

Archived