IGNORED

Anyone But England

Aizoon

Watched last England V Germany game in Jock bar in spain, loads of them cheering and whooping every German Goal, thought how disgusted and ashamed their Grand Partents would be!

Too be fair, a couple apologised to me at the end how appalled they felt at the behaviour - let's prey for independence!

Home made banner in a Peterborough pub last night;

"Today is the first day of the World Cup (or as the Scots call it - Thursday)".

Mind you a Welshman at work says his favourite nation is Wales. His next favourite is whichever nation is playing England.

I was at the Wales v England game in 82 just before the Spain WC and just as the Falklands had kicked off.

The Welsh fans were chanting "Argentina",unbelievable considering what happened a few weeks later to a lot of Welsh servicemen.

You know the Welsh speak before they think.

When England failed to qualify for the World Cup finals in 1978, this country got pretty uniformly behind Scotland. I remember the famous match when Scotland needed to beat the Netherlands by some distance to qualify for the next round (during which Archie Gemmell scored his famous goal) and being gutted afterwards.

Oddly, I was brought up by my Welsh father to have a ABE attitude in rugby (which I still have) but for some reason it didn't apply to any other sport.

Archived