IGNORED

Shaun Custis

AshtonGreat

I was reading The Sun last night (I know, I know) and there was a double-page spread in it where chief sports writer Shaun Custis judged which England players were the future of the team and which ones should be dumped. And right in the centre was a big picture of Wayne Rooney, alongside words to the effect of 'The team should be built around Rooney, our only world-class player'.

How bloody depressing. That's THREE World Cups where Rooney has under-achieved (one cross and one tap-in doesn't count) and STILL the so-called experts are labelling him as some kind of messiah. STILL! If you don't perform in three World Cups, you are not world-class. Simple as. And scoring a bunch of goals against the likes of Lichtenstein in the qualifiers doesn't count either.

All I can say is that Rooney must have a VERY good marketing team behind him, because he is in the top three highest- paid players in the world, he consistently shares TV adverts/videogame covers/column inches with Messi and Ronaldo (whose boots he isn't fit to tie up), and the British press continue to think the sun shines out of his behind. It's like the Beckham disease all over again - another player whose hype machine far, far outweighed his talent (although he was more effective than Rooney will ever be).

The trouble is, England managers (including the gormless Hodgson) believe this kind of hype. Which is why people like Shaun Custis are very dangerous to the future of our international team.

Messi and Ronaldo, when have they ever really shone at a World Cup? Ok messi is doing better this year. It's a team game, he can't do everything alone!

That said, I don't think Rooney is anywhere near their level, just an example of how performance at a world cup doesn't necessarily determine "workd class" status

I'm not angry at Rooney - it's the media that narks me off. Although to be fair, it's Rooney's party who must engineer the whole 'pay me silly money or I'm leaving' theatrics at United. I would very much argue that he didn't try very hard in the 2010 World Cup. He looked slow and disinterested. And no other player was involved in more goals? Give over - we only scored two and one of those was a tap-in!

I'd "very much argue" he'd just had the season of his career then got a nasty injury firstly to his right ankle, then to his left when rushed back too soon.

Rooneys biggest problem is too many people that know nothing call him "world class" - which I don't think he is but at the same time there's as many people that know nothing that slate him. Case in point slating him for 2010 without considering his injuries.

I'd "very much argue" he'd just had the season of his career then got a nasty injury firstly to his right ankle, then to his left when rushed back too soon.

Rooneys biggest problem is too many people that know nothing call him "world class" - which I don't think he is but at the same time there's as many people that know nothing that slate him. Case in point slating him for 2010 without considering his injuries.

If he was injured, he shouldn't have played. It's amazing how many people in this country are prepared to settle for mediocrity. Sad state of affairs.

I was reading The Sun last night (I know, I know) and there was a double-page spread in it where chief sports writer Shaun Custis judged which England players were the future of the team and which ones should be dumped. And right in the centre was a big picture of Wayne Rooney, alongside words to the effect of 'The team should be built around Rooney, our only world-class player'.

How bloody depressing. That's THREE World Cups where Rooney has under-achieved (one cross and one tap-in doesn't count) and STILL the so-called experts are labelling him as some kind of messiah. STILL! If you don't perform in three World Cups, you are not world-class. Simple as. And scoring a bunch of goals against the likes of Lichtenstein in the qualifiers doesn't count either.

All I can say is that Rooney must have a VERY good marketing team behind him, because he is in the top three highest- paid players in the world, he consistently shares TV adverts/videogame covers/column inches with Messi and Ronaldo (whose boots he isn't fit to tie up), and the British press continue to think the sun shines out of his behind. It's like the Beckham disease all over again - another player whose hype machine far, far outweighed his talent (although he was more effective than Rooney will ever be).

The trouble is, England managers (including the gormless Hodgson) believe this kind of hype. Which is why people like Shaun Custis are very dangerous to the future of our international team.

I would say less. He is in and has been in the best club side in England for near on 10 years' a team set up to created shit loads of chances. And apart from 2 seasons, he has struggled to muster 13 league goals a season. Average average average. You really look at the stats and remove the goals in cups and lowly European opposition and it doesn't leave you with much. There have been and still are better English strikers out there. The bloke would be hard pressed to trap a bag of cement.

I can't stand his hype, he's been without a doubt a weak link this world cup, he's had his time he should bugger off.

Just because he has been England's best player, it shouldn't automatically qualify him as world class. The standard of English players is fairly poor overall, Jack Wilshere is another example of massive over hype. A technically poor player living off his youth reputation. We havent had a world class midfielder since Gazza.

Just because he has been England's best player, it shouldn't automatically qualify him as world class. The standard of English players is fairly poor overall, Jack Wilshere is another example of massive over hype. A technically poor player living off his youth reputation. We havent had a world class midfielder since Gazza.

Paul Scholes was world class in my opinion. Brilliant player eventually forced out of the centre of the pitch due to the Gerrard/Lampard obsession that never worked from the start.

I agree with you there Screech. We won't win anything for the next ten years if Jack Wilshere's going to be our great hope in midfield.

All this talk about 'World Class' and no-one has tried to define what it means. I'll have a go. The 23 players you would pick for your World Squad including the likes of Bale etc. who can't be at the World Cup as their countries didn't qualify. So definitely no Rooney.

Messi and Ronaldo, when have they ever really shone at a World Cup? Ok messi is doing better this year. It's a team game, he can't do everything alone!

That said, I don't think Rooney is anywhere near their level, just an example of how performance at a world cup doesn't necessarily determine "workd class" status

The idea of Messi not performing at World Cups is a myth. He was 18 in his first one and, despite spending half the tournament on the bench, scored a goal and had one disallowed. In his second one, he played very well even though he didn't score. And he has scored four goals in this tournament and pretty much singlehandedly pulled his team through, despite not being at his absolute best. Not comparable at all to Rooney.

Again, I have never seen wilshire described as world class. I do think he will go on to be a very good midfielder though if he's given the correct role, he seems the only midfielder who can thread a decent ball through to the strikers

I got to say sterling is shapping up to be a fine player :-)

Archived