IGNORED

Adam El-Abd

WolfOfWestStreet

this is madness. he has already proved he isn't good enough why give him a clean slate.

Maybe because he proved he was good enough and can be good enough in a higher division when he was at Brighton.

Trouble is that SO FAR he has not added anything to the team other than the ever present ability to get sent off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he was sent off for us 1 time, a decision that most people at the game said was the wrong decison.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he was sent off for us 1 time, a decision that most people at the game said was the wrong decison.

No you're not wrong. An ability to get sent off is just that. But it's not just about that side of his game though.

If SC wants to play him as a starter then so be it and he will have my support same as any other player. As  others have said- we have alternative options. SC knows far more than me and is doing a good job so we shall just have to wait and see whether he gets his chance. Good luck to Adam if he does.

People giving him a chance need to sit back and think. It's suggested that if we do play him and give him a chance, due to his lack of pace, height and his ability to give away free kicks all the time, we would need to have a quick and capable defender either side of him to mop up. My question would be, why have someone in the team that is such a liability to start with? Have someone who is capable like flint and then the other defenders don't have to worry about another mans job.

It's silly to give a defender 'a chance' just because he's had a bad start when he clearly isn't capable of playing at the standard we are trying to set/achieve.

For me it's a no chance. It was cotts biggest error (and only one) signing him, let alone on a 3 year deal.

For those that question me, this season is probably the best chance we have to go up. You want el abd to be given a chance then fair enough but don't go complaining about him when we're conceding regular goals with him in the team which would in turn, effect the chance of promotion.

I will stand firm on what I say and will not take humble pie should I be proved wrong as I genuinely don't wish to see him near the first team this season. Rant over

Certainly a case of be careful what you wish for! The majority on here over the past few years have been crying out for some hard b******* to be signed!

My say on the subject is he deserves a clean slate. Get behind him this season! People tweeting him abuse are idiots.

Certainly a case of be careful what you wish for! The majority on here over the past few years have been crying out for some hard b******* to be signed!

My say on the subject is he deserves a clean slate. Get behind him this season! People tweeting him abuse are idiots.

We have been crying for a defender that was physically strong and a leader as was Shaun Taylor.We have never cried out for a carthorse who so far has proved a liabilty both for his play and behaviour on the pitch.The sort of player we have been crying out for was Nyron who ticked all the boxes and sadly looks like we are not going to sign.He should have been the first signing we made.As I previously stated I hope we do not live to regret this. 

What I love about this thread is the guy has been written off after 14 games is it FFS and yet some names of completely shit, sick note and incredibly overrated players that somehow manage to get a mention on various threads and spoken of in glowing terms over the years, i'll start the ball rolling Billy Mercer 25 games in 4 seasons.

What I love about this thread is the guy has been written off after 14 games is it FFS and yet some names of completely shit, sick note and incredibly overrated players that somehow manage to get a mention on various threads and spoken of in glowing terms over the years, i'll start the ball rolling Billy Mercer 25 games in 4 seasons.

Thing is, Billy Mercer showed signs of quality and contributed more in his 25 games than El Abd has so far.

I'm behind El Abd, I feel he's had a rough start but there are many reasons behind this. Giving him a fresh start after the summer is the only logical option and I hope the fans can help him. A more suitable comparison may be Steve Jones. Fans targeted him at the start of his time here, before he turned it around and became a bit of a folk hero. Hopefully Adam can do the same.

My anger towards him stems from the win at Peterborough in March.

2-0 up comfortably and the idiot decides to stupidly stick an elbow in on a player and get sent off, why do that? Luckily we won the game thanks to Fielding heroics and a masterclass performance by Osborne but we dont need players who will get sent off so stupidly like that and give away petulant silly fouls like he does.

Thing is, Billy Mercer showed signs of quality and contributed more in his 25 games than El Abd has so far.

I'm behind El Abd, I feel he's had a rough start but there are many reasons behind this. Giving him a fresh start after the summer is the only logical option and I hope the fans can help him. A more suitable comparison may be Steve Jones. Fans targeted him at the start of his time here, before he turned it around and became a bit of a folk hero. Hopefully Adam can do the same.

Mercer arrived injured and remained injured throughout his 4 years, i'll repeat that 4 years, his groin was so weak he was totally incapable of getting down to any short of low shot, it was by any standards a poor and expensive signing and he was for a very long time an understudy to Phillips not exactly a glowing reference really is it?, your second paragraph is a good analogy and proves that BCFC fans can be a forgiving bunch.

Mercer arrived injured and remained injured throughout his 4 years, i'll repeat that 4 years, his groin was so weak he was totally incapable of getting down to any short of low shot, it was by any standards a poor and expensive signing and he was for a very long time an understudy to Phillips not exactly a glowing reference really is it?, your second paragraph is a good analogy and proves that BCFC fans can be a forgiving bunch.

Maybe we should all chip in to send El Abd to get a new mahogany tan.

Still think Mercer showed promise in the games he played, but after he was a bad signing due to injuries that were apparent when he signed. El Abd, as yet, has shown no promise, regardless of injuries. A fit Mercer would have been in the team. A fit El Abd? Who knows at the moment.

We signed Mercer from the same talented and over achieving Chesterfield side where we got Dyche.

Two excellent players who had overplayed the season before and arrived at Ashton Gate as shells of their former selves .

Mercer never recovered and Dyche was hounded out by the numbskull supporters and went on to better things elsewhere.

Pity for us but seemed like two excellent signings at the time.

Maybe we should all chip in to send El Abd to get a new mahogany tan.

Still think Mercer showed promise in the games he played, but after he was a bad signing due to injuries that were apparent when he signed. El Abd, as yet, has shown no promise, regardless of injuries. A fit Mercer would have been in the team. A fit El Abd? Who knows at the moment.

Michael Bridges showed promise but like Mercer was made of fine porcelain, another unbelievably poor and expensive signing but fondly thought of.

I could go back to Hugh Mcilmoyle and Geert Meijer 2 more who did very little in a BCFC shirt but are still fondly remembered, Mcilmoyle realised he didn't want to be here and boy did he show it and Meijer scored a super goal within 3 minutes of his debut and then spent the rest of his time at AG bottling out of 40/60 tackles.

We signed Mercer from the same talented and over achieving Chesterfield side where we got Dyche.

Two excellent players who had overplayed the season before and arrived at Ashton Gate as shells of their former selves .

Mercer never recovered and Dyche was hounded out by the numbskull supporters and went on to better things elsewhere.

indeed and I agree with every word but Mercer was severely injured when we signed him, in fact if memory serves he had spent most of his last 2 years at Chesterfield injured but we still signed him.

See the irony of this thread and the highlighted portion.

Paul Holland as well. All 3 were unfit when we signed them.

If El Bad is picked and performs well he will be accepted, if he performs as he has done so far, hopefully he will get ditched ASAP. So far he has been shocking in a City shirt, simple as that. All I have seen so far is a one paced oaf who gives away far too many needless free kicks and waves his arms about a lot. I would hope that there is more to his game than that!

If El Bad is picked and performs well he will be accepted, if he performs as he has done so far, hopefully he will get ditched ASAP. So far he has been shocking in a City shirt, simple as that. All I have seen so far is a one paced oaf who gives away far too many needless free kicks and waves his arms about a lot. I would hope that there is more to his game than that!

Also he will have this reputation and opposition players will target that week in, week out should he be a regular starter...

Has to change his game. No problem being aggressive but he just holds players shirts in the penalty area on set-pieces. A complete liability so far.

Just hope he comes out the player he seemed to be at Brighton this season.

Yeah some of the stuff he does is really amateur and simply not intimidating to players these days. His antics at Posh were so nearly very costly and completely unprofessional. The sort of stuff he does isn't just a direct criticism of El-Abd though. I hate players that do all that as it's just too risky and not necessary. He does need to be given a clean slate by everyone though. I personally don't see the logic in playing him on the right of a back 3. Far far too exposed out there and surely Osborne would be better suited to that position? I still hope that if played centrally El-Abd could come good but he has much improving though. Need to back the fella now though as he's clearly here to stay and be part of the squad to start the season at least.

He has one chance for me. His positional play was bordering on Shambolic and he looked like he could be sent off in every game last season. If he doesn't massively improve he can sod off.

Agreed but his chance should be in the league and that's what he should be judged on. Not pre season.

Biggest positive from the Weston game is that he's moving further and further away from the starting line up! Problem being cotts seems to like a 3 and he can't play in that position, he won't play much this season

Where will we finish this season? I'd like to place a bet.

Lee Johnson said after the Oldham V City match 'He's not a footballer, he's a grappler.'  A bit harsh but it highlights that it's not just BCFC supporters who weren't impressed. It may be that El-Abd has lost a yard of pace and now has to compensate with other means.  That's the only explanation for a player was obviously admired by Brighton fans for abilities in the Championship a season or two ago.  I don't think he featured that much for Brighton last season so maybe the decline, temporary or otherwise, had set in.   Who knows, he may be okay in a back four but he can't play in a back three.  The good news is that SC will be able to assess him pre-season.  I'm all in favour of supporting players but I can't help but feeling that swapping Nosworthy for El-Abd (or Flint) within the squad could make the difference between mid-table and a serious promotion push.  

When we nearly got promotion to the Premiership we didn't score a lot of goals but the defensive record was about the best in the league.  

Continuous niggly fouls is a symptom of someone who either had it and has lost it, or never had it in the first place.

When I got to 34 and lost the small bit of a pace I had I started to push, trip and cheat. I wasn't a dirty player it just was a 'natural' reaction to 'losing it' and trying to regain a competitive edge.

Fearful that El Ab won't get any better. However, as he was purchased under our new transfer/player assessment regime I'm sure he will prove to be the exception to the rule... so fresh start and let him prove us doubters wrong.

Is like to see the data for his "continuous niggly fouls" is there evidence to back this up or is it just presumed?

The evidence is if you have watched him since January, not only does he give away continuous niggly fouls, he gives them away in the perfect position, just outside the box or in a perfect crossing position

The evidence is if you have watched him since January, not only does he give away continuous niggly fouls, he gives them away in the perfect position, just outside the box or in a perfect crossing position

I have watched him since January. I just don't remember ever thinking, "man he gives away a lot of fouls" in fact if you take the red out of the equation he has 2 yellows in 13 matches - hardly horrendous.

he only played half of the remaining games as well,

I have watched him since January. I just don't remember ever thinking, "man he gives away a lot of fouls" in fact if you take the red out of the equation he has 2 yellows in 13 matches - hardly horrendous.

He is quite good at avoiding the ref spotting it somehow.

I personally don't think that is something to base defending on. Literally every set piece he is all over his man and if the refs got tight on shirt pulling etc like they should then he wouldn't last 5 minutes each game.

Archived