IGNORED

Adam El-Abd

WolfOfWestStreet

People writing off El-Abd already is starting to annoy me. He came in when we were losing, we are the only other club he has ever played for. Yes he made mistakes and was critisised as he is a senior professional.

Also some say that he has taken Louis Carey's shirt number? That Shirt belongs to Bristol City not one man.

BUT He's played less than 20 games for City. Every player deserves a clean slate at the start of the season, I for one will be supporting Adam whenever he pulls on the red shirt. I hope others will do the same, if not for him but for the best interests of the team lthis season.

Pre season has been great, both on and off the pitch. Let's not take any negativity into the new season and REALLY get behind this team. I've got a feeling they could so something quite special. Can't wait for the new season.

Bounce around.

Starts this term with a blank canvas as far as I'm concerned.

He'll know more than anyone how disappointing his performances were last season. If he can raise himself to be somewhere near the level of consistency he achieved at Brighton, then he'll soon have his past forgotten by fans.

If he can't, I just hope we don't keep flogging a dead horse, as we did with Fontaine. But we'd need to see a fair few games before we can make that decision. 

True he needs to settle in and be given some time. The thing that annoyed me most was not the poor performances but rather his constant fouling against the opposition. Sure defending is a black art, but he did seem to believing his own hype and needlessly giving away free-kicks. I hope he curtail this as he improves his performances.

He'll know more than anyone how disappointing his performances were last season. If he can raise himself to be somewhere near the level of consistency he achieved at Brighton, then he'll soon have his past forgotten by fans.

If he can't, I just hope we don't keep flogging a dead horse, as we did with Fontaine. But we'd need to see a fair few games before we can make that decision.

Agree.

I don't think Steve is the kind of manager that will tolerate poor performances for sustained periods like others before him.

If Steve picks him then great if not, we should support the guy in his place. I'm by no means a happy clapper but I just think a guy needs a fair crack before he's written off for good.

True he needs to settle in and be given some time. The thing that annoyed me most was not the poor performances but rather his constant fouling against the opposition. Sure defending is a black art, but he did seem to believing his own hype and needlessly giving away free-kicks. I hope he curtail this as he improves his performances.

My Brighton supporting mate told me when we got him that he was an excellent defender, but did give away pointless free kicks - as much by clumsiness and verbals as deliberate fouling.

My Brighton supporting mate told me when we got him that he was an excellent defender, but did give away pointless free kicks - as much by clumsiness and verbals as deliberate fouling.

Think that was the word OTIB we got from Brighton fans too. Ok to dish out the verbals when you are playing well, but if you aren't you need to sort out your own performance first. Hope he does well. A good pre-season will help.

Problem is he is playing in the middle of defence with only the keeper behind him, if he is slow, giving away needless free kicks and generally having an off day goals will be scored. He is in the spotlight, which supporters will pick up on every bad move or decision he makes. After his few games he has played it is down to him to knuckle down and win over the support, if not make room.

I'm the type to give players a fair chance. But if he is played on the right hand side of a back 3 we will be in big trouble, he's got no idea how to play there. For example at WSM if you actually analyse the 2nd goal he was out of position which brought Osbourne across and meant if he missed his tackle the lad was in. Osbourne was covering the space left by El-And.

However I think he is capable in a back 2 and possibly in the middle of a back 3.

I just hope our back 3 is Williams, Osbourne, Ayling and that they're fit enough to play all 46 games! Flint could cover in the centre of the 3. If not I can see us needing 3 goals to win games.

Like most posters on this thread I hope the City faithful give El Abd a clean sheet.

The talk around the camp fire was that his missus was homesick and was finding it difficult to settle in the area. Most of us know that if there is disharmony at home that that can seriously effect your work. Hopefully Mrs El Abd has settled down and we'll see better performances from him.

Agree with this, tbh I think we have bought a dud, but would love him to prove doubters like me wrong.

I'm pretty sure SC has said in the past that his preference is for 442 if he has the players to play in those positions, last year he didn't feel he did, maybe the addition of Little and Ayling will change that. Having said that in a back 4 I can't see El Abd being first choice.

Having enjoyed the tail end of last season, the return at WsM of El Abd and Flint heralded the return of the misplaced pass. Last year we with Nosworth, Osbourne and Williams we had crisp accurate passing out from the back. During the WsM game there were a number of long lumps and short passes out to the wings that went astray.

Early days, pretty sure SC will play the best team and won't favour any individuals.

Upping sticks after spending so much time with one club obviously had an effect.

it must've been really difficult not having to use a soap on a rope, wearing lippy and drinking

G & T's.

That said, this is his first major move and he must have had second thoughts so as previous poster's have said new season, clean slate, a good pre season & support all round should see we get the best out of him.

Its the City way I'm affriad to slag players off without giving them a chance. The day after Wade Elliott made his debut there were people on here saying he was the worst player ever to wear a City shirt and he should be sent back to Brum immediately

Lets give El Abd a clean slate and see why the Brighton fans never say a bad word about him.

No one who has ever " slagged off" Adam can be proved wrong  based on his performances to date. As for future performances ,if he is selected,then he should be given a chance. I have never booed a City player ever- it doesn't make them play any better and lifts the opposition. Wade Elliot was indeed written off by a few  after 1 game. Adam was granted a great deal more latitude by the fans and only after being a complete liability did he start getting stick. Everyone was hoping for a Sean Taylor type- hardman but fair.

Nothing in pre season suggests to me that Adam has changed his game and his little tussle with Weston's no9 was needless and silly. Fortunately we have a strong squad so he is not the only option.

I understand that and that's why I was delighted when he signed. Trouble is that SO FAR he has not added anything to the team other than the ever present ability to get sent off.

Surely we have the players now to be able to challenge in our League without having to resort to a poor imitation of Norman Hunter?

P.s Smash it up

We've been crying now for much too long...

do not give this man another chance, we don't want or need him and i for one don't want anyone in my team that niggles, cheats and abuses the opposition until he gets sent off

All footballers cheat these days mate its part of the game unfortunately,If you like it or not . I'm not saying its right but I would prefer someone cheating on our side than against us

As for not give this man another chance bit harse innit look at Wade Elliott all he does is wind up the opposition by niggles cheats and abuses them and we love him  so give El Abd a break and lets hope he can be the player Brighton loved so much

All footballers cheat these days mate its part of the game unfortunately,If you like it or not . I'm not saying its right but I would prefer someone cheating on our side than against us

As for not give this man another chance bit harse innit look at Wade Elliott all he does is wind up the opposition by niggles cheats and abuses them and we love him  so give El Abd a break and lets hope he can be the player Brighton loved so much

Yeah but Elliott has the skill to back himself up, where as we are yet to see any real quality from El Abd,. By all means give him a chance, but if no return bin him

I'll give him a chance but, from what I have seen so far the bloke is a liability at the back. Too slow and gives away too many freekicks in dangerous areas.

If we are to play him, we had better make sure there is somebody quick either side of him or else we are in real trouble. I know we have seen very little of the bloke but I can't see what he actually brings with him, Flint is as quick as him but better in the area and has a sweet long pass and is a threat at set pieces, Osbourne is quicker than him and a better all round defender, Williams is quick and mobile too and probably the first name down for our defence.

As far as I can see we have bought a slow, serial fouler who has a reputation with officials as being niggly, a recipe for disaster.

I'm willing to give anyone another chance. He came into a struggling side last season and hopefully we wont be struggling so much this season and his performance will hopefully improve along with it. Personally I think its shocking booing your own players and in the past I thought the treatment of Fontaine and Lee Johnson was shameful by some City supporters. Fontaine was a decent player when he first joined us but his confidence was shot too pieces by the treatment he received. I admit El-Abd performances have been awful in the main but can anyone honestly say that they have seen a player or a team performance improve by booing them? Its seems a pointless exercise to me and only helps our opponents :fear:   

I think Adam suffered a bit from the Frank Fielding syndrome, got off to a poor start, worried about it, made matters worse. Put together with the domestic disharmony as mentioned elsewhere, it's no wonder he hardly put a successful tackle in.

A rest was enough for FF to sort his head out and I hope the same will happen with Adam. As Screech said though, he'll never get much faster and he needs a nippier defender playing alongside.

Archived