IGNORED

Elliot Parish

GrahamC

Frank Fielding is definitely downplayed on these forums. Fielding could play at Championship level all day long, like he did at Derby. Parish is no where near FF's level, it's ridiculous to say so. He had a poor start to the season, so what? He's still the best in League 1 and one of the best compared in the Championship.

Yup fielding isn't in the same class as neuer, He's not as good as Heston either, but he was good enough to play a lot of championship games + make a England squad, people are quick to say that Parrish played behind a p poor defence ! we'll so did Frankie, people seen prepared to make excuses for Parrish but not for fielding, also apart from one outstanding game at Walsall I don't think Simon moore looked any better than ff, as I said many of you have made up your minds on ff, unfortunately for you it looks like sc has as well, oh well at least you've got your latest boo boy !

Yup fielding isn't in the same class as neuer, He's not as good as Heston either, but he was good enough to play a lot of championship games + make a England squad, people are quick to say that Parrish played behind a p poor defence ! we'll so did Frankie, people seen prepared to make excuses for Parrish but not for fielding, also apart from one outstanding game at Walsall I don't think Simon moore looked any better than ff, as I said many of you have made up your minds on ff, unfortunately for you it looks like sc has as well, oh well at least you've got your latest boo boy !

That's a silly statement to make fella...why would anyone want to make him a 'boo boy'

He's not nearly as good as he when he played at Derby and was picked for England.

The same can be said of David James when he came to us.

FF and Parish are not the quality of keeper you are looking for in a Promotion push.

Look at Heaton and Gerkin...both Keepers dropped by us. All better.

We as a Club, are not a good judge of keepers in general...or keeping them.

We all want a player to do well for us...be it FF, El Abd, Fontaine and Woolford in the past...but if their form drops it shows...you can't keep players just because they did well at other clubs...or lose form continually.

If FF plays well, then we will all be happy....the same can be said of any player.

That's a silly statement to make fella...why would anyone want to make him a 'boo boy'

He's not nearly as good as he when he played at Derby and was picked for England.

FF and Parish are not the quality of keeper you are looking for in a Promotion push.

We all want a player to do well for us...be it FF, El Abd, Fontaine and Woolford in the past...but if their form drops it shows...you can't keep players just because they did well at other clubs...or lose form continually.

If FF plays well, then we will all be happy....the same can be said of any player.

Now be careful there sir, your post makes far too much sense for many on here...

Not a boo boy ! theirs post after post criticising him and many comparing him unfavourably to Parrish a keeper who made far more mistakes than fielding but who seems to have total license on here wheras every thing ff does is scrutinised and criticised by some, heck somebody even criticised him for making a save at Cheltenham the other night ! as for David James , ano domini caught up with him, your assertation than ff was a better keeper at derby may or may not be true, idk I'm not a expert on all things Derby county, but if it is true it would be interesting to find out why, I think we will have to agree to disagree spudski, but one thing that is certain is that in the great scheme of things neither of our opinions matter one iota anyway !

Frank Fielding is definitely downplayed on these forums. Fielding could play at Championship level all day long, like he did at Derby. Parish is no where near FF's level, it's ridiculous to say so. He had a poor start to the season, so what? He's still the best in League 1 and one of the best compared in the Championship.

So if he is championship standard, why did Derby let him go? And why didn't a championship club come in for him?

And then why did SoD drop him for Parish, then SC got in a goalkeeper on loan that played the majority of games from Jan to May?? That's two managers who don't have full confidence in Fielding..

Parrish made major howlers v leyton orient Rotherham Brentford ( I'm sure theirs more ) and the mistake he made for Newport v mansfield which persuaded them to cut short his loan would make any video of goal keeping howlers, he made more mistakes than ff but gets no where near the ammount of stick ! Good luck to him in the future though !

Exactly, Parish isn't a league 1 standard goalkeeper, so why on earth did he overtake FF for the number one slot during most of SoDs reign.. That is also quite telling

All keepers make mistakes and Moore made his fair share.  FF came back in and did superbly and I think impressed SC.   SC likes his 'characters' and FF fits that description and looked a quality keeper and had a couple of MOTM performances that coincided with our rise up the table.    I get the impression that FF is settled in now and if he performs as he did in the latter part of the season rather than the first part then we have a quality keeper on our books.  It helps that we will have a stronger defensive unit in front of him of course. 

Parrish was a good character and felt by S'OD to be a calming influence in front of a shaky defence but that character trait didn't compensate for being a distinctly average keeper.  FF performances at the end of the last season warrant a chance of being first tema choice.  I haven't see Dave Richards so I don't know if SC needs competition but I assume he does.

Agree with bcfc nick, frank had totally lost confidence and was rightly rested, Elliott waa given his chance but imo wasn't good enough, Simon moore had a big reputation and sc siezwd the opportunity to take him on loan, He didn't look anything special really then got injured + allowed frank back in, in his second spell in goal frank looked much improved and was praised by sc for his attitude + professionalism, As for why Derby let him go, they had 2 keepers at the time who they considered to be on a par ( can't remember the other guys name ) obviously they couldn't splay both, we were offered the chance to sign either of them + chose frank.

Also in fairness to Simon moore when he returned to the side after Franks injury he looked better than he had before, perhaps it's no coincidence that ff and sm both looked better keepers with Nosworthy in from of them, _ I hope the failure to sign him does not come back to haunt us !

See we have found the new scapegoat. That is 2 threads now that that have turned into Fielding bashing one's. Why have some posters always want to slate our own players? Baffling.

Unfortunately fielding set his standard in the first game of last season.

Decent shot stopper, but plays with a nervousness that doesn't inspire confidence.

Parish supposedly wasn't good enough in league 2, now should have a "sell on clause", but again looked too indecisive at times in goal for us.

In both their defence they played behind a back four that were under a lot of extreme pressure last season which has hopefully been rectified by the new signings.

A new keeper would no doubt give us more solidity at the back.

I'm with Tim.

Frankie made one mistake at the start of the season and that made fans nervous of him in goal. Then he became nervous because of this. He had time out and when he was bought back in he was a solid keeper in a solid team. No one remembers Moores howler at orient because we won.

For me we have a capable keeper in FF and Dave Richards will be fine as backup. An Experienced CB is required in my opinion, Nosworthy please :)

@IanLodger

You say it will take FF to make a mistake for the club to invest

What happens if FF doesn't make a mistake? Will you be happy that we have FF or would you still want the club to invest in a new Keeper?

Seemed a very negative post that's all

• Admin

Lol, I did say between them and did also say just about.

Both very poor IMO and I can only dream we sign Moore!

Yes you did, but there is an eagerness on this forum (for some) to jump in and slate our players and misreading your post was far too good an opportunity to miss for a bit of Fielding bashing.

There's a saying, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" & FF should know this better than most - and if he doesn't? We'll make him aware!

I'm with Tim.

Frankie made one mistake at the start of the season and that made fans nervous of him in goal. Then he became nervous because of this. He had time out and when he was bought back in he was a solid keeper in a solid team. No one remembers Moores howler at orient because we won.

For me we have a capable keeper in FF and Dave Richards will be fine as backup. An Experienced CB is required in my opinion, Nosworthy please :)

@IanLodger

You say it will take FF to make a mistake for the club to invest

What happens if FF doesn't make a mistake? Will you be happy that we have FF or would you still want the club to invest in a new Keeper?

Seemed a very negative post that's all

Negative or not, it's just my opinion that FF isn't good enough, you think he's capable of being in between the sticks for the whole 46 games, that's fine, but I don't.

If he doesn't make a mistake I would still want to invest on a GK, I just think if he did make a mistake against Sheff Utd (which I hope he doesn't) the club will make their search for a goalkeeper a bit more intense, rather than scouting another forward. 

Negative or not, it's just my opinion that FF isn't good enough, you think he's capable of being in between the sticks for the whole 46 games, that's fine, but I don't.

If he doesn't make a mistake I would still want to invest on a GK, I just think if he did make a mistake against Sheff Utd (which I hope he doesn't) the club will make their search for a goalkeeper a bit more intense, rather than scouting another forward.

Shame you're not running the club :)

How do you know the search for a keeper isn't as intense as it is for a striker?

How do you know the search for a keeper isn't as intense as it is for a striker?

I don't, but I get the feeling Agard is the #1 priority at the moment rather than a GK. There's been no rumours for a few months about Moore or another GK coming in, all just seems quiet and with a week to go before our first game looks like we're stuck with Fielding.

Totally agree about Fielding, he was disastrous in his first spell in the team, not only with the Bradford game but for a series of jittery performances.

He was better in his second spell but doesn't inspire any confidence at all because he is simply far too short to be a top keeper.

Making a couple of great reflex saves will never make up for an inability to command his penalty area or inspire confidence from his defenders.

I can't agree about our historical success in judging keepers though, under GJ we signed 4;

Basso, Weale, Henderson and Gerken, all of whom were good enough to play Championship football for us (and perhaps more tellingly elsewhere, too),

Heaton could also be considered a successful signing, meaning that we've signed very few duds before Fielding.

Parish was exactly what we expected, a cheap option who was plenty good enough to be a League One understudy and that's all.

Interestingly Blackpool fans think they are signing Tomasz Kuszczak and Parish is to be his reserve, a very logical move.

Fielding should be fine for us, the only problem is that he does get injured occasionally so we need a competent backup, this is probably why we're looking for a more experienced second keeper. How many League One teams have a yound keeper who's played at all levels for England apart from the senior team (although he has been in the senior squad) and has played 60 games in the Championship (for Derby, would have played more but for injury). He made one or two errors early on last season but the defence in front of him was shambolic, when he came back later on when the defence was properly organised he was fine. If he maintains that form we'll have the best keeper in League One.

Frankie is ok at this level. He makes some decent saves but I do agree that he doesn't instill a great deal of confidence and you are always just waiting for the moment that he drops a major howler.

I think people are being overly kind to Parish, who is simply not good enough. He looks the part, but other than 1 game Vs Stevenage last season, it seemed that pretty much any shot on target beat him.

If he gets a contract at a championship club, I believe it will be more down to Blackpools desperation than Parish earning it on merit.

I don't, but I get the feeling Agard is the #1 priority at the moment rather than a GK. There's been no rumours for a few months about Moore or another GK coming in, all just seems quiet and with a week to go before our first game looks like we're stuck with Fielding.

Ah rumours, they are so important aren't they?, I don't recall any rumours about Freeman, we as fans coveted him as a player and the ITK told us he was way out of our league, but no rumours.

I can never remember any fans slating Parish for continued bad mistakes, or looking uncomfortable or jittery.

The same cannot be said of Fielding.

I hope we sign Moore as imho... Fielding is our one weak link.

exactly this,he certainly didnt play any worse than fielding,i preferred him tbh as he made our goal look a bit smaller

Remember the shot Parrish spilt v orient ? or the one that went through him v Rotherham + He didn't look to comfortable then! ask nNewport fans if he looked comfortable ! He made far more mistakes than Fielding has done, yet for some strange reason this is totally overlooked by some on here.

Remember the shot Parrish spilt v orient ? or the one that went through him v Rotherham + He didn't look to comfortable then! ask nNewport fans if he looked comfortable ! He made far more mistakes than Fielding has done, yet for some strange reason this is totally overlooked by some on here.

Or Fieldings mistake at Bradford at home for their first goal, or his mistake for the first goal against P'boro at home, or how he kicked out of the box against Rotherham for their winner, or how his error of judgement trying to save with the wrong hand against Shrewsbury away..There's no point comparing and contrasting their mistakes,  both goalkeepers cost us many points last season..and it can't happen again this season considering we're suppose to be challenging for promotion.

Totally agree about Fielding, he was disastrous in his first spell in the team, not only with the Bradford game but for a series of jittery performances.

He was better in his second spell but doesn't inspire any confidence at all because he is simply far too short to be a top keeper.

Making a couple of great reflex saves will never make up for an inability to command his penalty area or inspire confidence from his defenders.

I can't agree about our historical success in judging keepers though, under GJ we signed 4;

Basso, Weale, Henderson and Gerken, all of whom were good enough to play Championship football for us (and perhaps more tellingly elsewhere, too),

Heaton could also be considered a successful signing,

Fielding is the same height as Basso & Heaton, are they both too short to be top keepers? Basso is the best keeper I've seen since supporting city.

Just incase you say neither are top keepers, Casillas is probably shorter than Fielding yet was still one of the best keepers in the world at one stage.

Taller keepers often struggle to get down quick enough, Parish was very slow to get down into the bottom corners

Fielding is the same height as Basso & Heaton, are they both too short to be top keepers? Basso is the best keeper I've seen since supporting city.

Just incase you say neither are top keepers, Casillas is probably shorter than Fielding yet was still one of the best keepers in the world at one stage.

Taller keepers often struggle to get down quick enough, Parish was very slow to get down into the bottom corners

I agree that height isn't as much a factor as people make out.

However (and I'd love to be proved wrong) I still think that between the sticks is a problem area, Fielding just doesn't inspire me with any confidence at all.

Like I said, I really want the guy to do well, I was very pleased when we signed him. I don't know if it's a confidence thing but he just always looks like he's got a mistake in him.

Parish to start talks this morning with Blackpool, apparently they are looking to loan him for 6 months with a view to a permanent signing in January. Bristol City have given permission for this to go ahead if both parties agree.

Good luck Elliot, good move for him , he'll certainly be in the spotlight.

Archived