IGNORED

Your Expectation This Season?

Kid in the Riot

Give or take a couple of players we know what City's squad is going to look like for the forthcoming season, so what are your expectations?

In attack we look stronger than last year with the addition of Wilbraham and Freeman. You could even include Little in "attack" seeing as though he can play on the wing, has pace and loves to get forward. Baldock I believe will stay and if Agard does sign then we could have 3 players in our starting line up who scored around 70 goals between them last season!

Midfield also looks stronger with Elliott joining permanently and Smith arriving from Oldham. There is great competition for places in the middle of the park (Pack, Smith, Elliott and Reid). I'm sure the competition between the young uns Reid, Pack and Smith will spur them all on to perform better.

Defence remains a concern from last season with only Ayling added. He's not fully fit yet so it may be a little while before we see the best of him. Little is an attack minded defender and so it remains to be seen whether he'll improve us defensively. I'm sure SC can dip into the loan market if neccessary to get a CB. Goalkeeper, well, we're relying on seeing the Fielding from the latter part of last season as opposed to the one that started last season. Fingers crossed, but a loanee could easily be brought in if neccessary.

Karl Robinson (Franchise FC gaffer) wasn't wrong when he said our transfer policy would "blow most clubs in this league out of the water" and with that comes expectation.

We've had a season at this level to adjust the budget and have got rid of the deadwood - now is the time to kick on.

Personally, I expect us to be in and around the top six and if we address our defensive frailties by signing a very good 'keeper and solid CB then I'd expect a tilt at automatic promotion.

Yep, play offs.

Not convinced we have a good enough keeper at present and think it might take a month to sort out our best CB combination.

However it isn't the strongest league and we finished nearer the top than the bottom last year after a dreadful first 18 games..

Play offs minimum for me, anything else, with this squad, would be a failure (caveat - would still like to see defence & GK strengthened and Baldock staying)

Difficult to pick a winner of the league for me, there's some strong teams, without anyone really standing out. Orient have surprised me with some of their signings, think they will be up there again. Preston / Sheff U should both be strong. As a dark horse, Chesterfield....they seem to be a club on the up, a good start and they could be this years Rotherham

Of course we are aiming for promotion but the OP didn't say what are we aiming for, he asked what we, as fans, expect. The people that are racing against Usain Bolt are probably aiming for 1st as well - and lets face it, we are not the Usain Bolt of football.

Yes, it will be a little disappointing with the positive signings we have made but I expect us to finish around 8th-9th-10th unless we get off to a flyer and build our confidence early. 

Really excited for Saturday to see how we start the season and I hope we put in a performance to raise my optimism a tad.

Citys attacking oppositions are outrageous. Freeman is a signing I did not expect the club woukld be able to make. The intent is obvious, there should be no excuses its a big budget with big players v small budgets and mediocrity. The pillars are gone and local lads will probably take no part, or little part in starting XI's. Straight promotion should be expected and demanded.

Citys attacking oppositions are outrageous. Freeman is a signing I did not expect the club woukld be able to make. The intent is obvious, there should be no excuses its a big budget with big players v small. The pillars are gone and local lads will probably take no part, or little part in starting XI's. Straight promotion should be expected and demanded.

apart from reid and bryan who have featured havely in pre-season and possibly wes from the bench with morrell joining him if he shines in the u21's this season,

Sign a keeper, Midfielder (loan) and Defender - top 2

Sign a keeper and a defender - top 6

Sign a keeper - top 10

I think you underestimate the squad we already have. I know people like new signings because they cause excitement, but when you look at our current squad as is you can't really suggest we NEED any new players? 

I think people forget how key Fielding was at the end of last season, some of the saves he made were absolutely unbelievable. The whole team had a shocker at the beginning of the season but if you make a mistake as a keeper it is a lot more costly than other positions so therefore you stand out more. Has everyone forgot how many one on ones Baldock was missing at the beginning of last season? Loads on here wanterd him dropped!

apart from reid and bryan who have featured havely in pre-season and possibly wes from the bench with morrell joining him if he shines in the u21's this season,

The local lads will barely take part. They will be bench warmers at best, I hope I am wrong and all force their way in to a side that is clearly designed to go at teams with skill and excitement. A purchased XI that should be handing teams their arse this season with the three up top.

I think you underestimate the squad we already have. I know people like new signings because they cause excitement, but when you look at our current squad as is you can't really suggest we NEED any new players? 

I think people forget how key Fielding was at the end of last season, some of the saves he made were absolutely unbelievable. The whole team had a shocker at the beginning of the season but if you make a mistake as a keeper it is a lot more costly than other positions so therefore you stand out more. Has everyone forgot how many one on ones Baldock was missing at the beginning of last season? Loads on here wanterd him dropped!

A few decent performances from Fielding last season doesn't mean he should be number one for the duration of this season. Parish also had a few decent games, and he's getting shipped out. Also with our defence if we get a few injuries it looks a bit bare, I think a new GK and CB is necessary, and with SC saying he's looking at 3 more signings looks like we will see some activity.

The defence is still an issue - especially in the centre. Flint is a limited defender. El Abd, even if he does perform well this season, has only a few years left in him. Williams and Osbourne are the only quality central defenders we have - if either of them are injured we are in a right pickle! In midfield, I'm still of the belief we need one more central midfielder. A player in the Cisse mould who can sit in front of the back four and break the game up for us when needed. I know people have been touting Smith to play this role, but I'd prefer to see him further up the field in a more traditional CM role.

As for the keeper, I am a keeper myself so I am well aware of the injustice of one mistake being remembered by your name for years and years and the abundance of gaffes and open nets that strikers miss yet are never remembered for. However, Fielding just doesn't impress me at all. I thought we were signing a definitive article in modern goalkeeping. Instead we've got someone who occasionally makes a good save that any goalkeeper at the top of league 1 should be making, but his overall game is very weak. His decision making is haphazard and his distribution is poor considering the level he has played at.

Still, I'd be more than happy if he can shut me up and prove me wrong. That's football after all!

A disappointing start to the season, as the new players embed themselves and the best team / formation are confirmed - perhaps mid table at Christmas.

Then a strong second half of the season, and end up challenging for a play off place.

Whether we make 6th or not, I don't think we'll get promoted this season.

If we keep the faith, we'll make it next season though.

Archived