IGNORED

How Do You Feel About Pundits Calling Us 'bristol'?

hippy273

My favourite was when the first northern monkey dived and was booked, the pundit thought Smith had been booked and even after several views said "that is a booking anywhere in the world, all day long" and 5 minutes later "yes the referee was brilliant there and got that exactly right", pundits my arse.

Let me guess, Don Goodman?

It's correct now.

When people talk about Cambridge everybody knows that they're referring to Cambridge United.  Nobody would think that they're perhaps referring to some non-league local side like Cambridge City.

I agree, always proud to be called Bristol even when there was two league sides in the City, now there is only one no problem, Rovers can become as irrelevant as Cambridge City (who were actually the biggest club in Cambridge at one point) 

It's correct now.

When people talk about Cambridge everybody knows that they're referring to Cambridge United.  Nobody would think that they're perhaps referring to some non-league local side like Cambridge City.

Everybody knows they are talking about Cambridge Utd not City?

Sorry but that is rubbish, you may as well apply the same reasoning to City- Rovers. 

It's an arrogance, I can't imagine how anyone who works in the game can call such a well known and respected club BRISTOL. It would never enter my head to call any football team anything other than it's proper name, but then again I am no pundit but I am a football man.

H'mm. So it's always AFC Bournemouth in full, is it?

Watched Beagie after the game, even though he had a face that looked like a slapped arse it didn't exactly come across like he despised us. It could of easily been a draw, and he did say some positives about our performance and players..

Not that I was looking at Beagrie though..

Forget Man U and Man City, normal rules don't apply to them.  Forest is a unique name, as Is County once a game commences, you know it's either Derby or Notts. With Sheffield I'm sure once the game starts whether it be Wednesday (which again is unique) so will be used,  if it were UTD playing, they'd likely be referred to as Sheffield. I have no problem whatsoever being referred to as Bristol.

As a side issue, try shouting "City" loudly, followed by "Bristol". The voice naturally projects the latter more loudly, City is almost done with a sharp hiss and pronounced "T", but does not come over as very loud when chanted, almost sounding like a bunch of kids at a schoolboy international. "Bristol" as was chanted in the 70s and on the odd occasion since, is so much louder, and it seems more likely to get others joining in. So I'm happy for us to be referred to as Bristol and to chant the name when we are representing Bristol.

Archived