IGNORED

Funny How Fans View Games Differently

Cider red

A lot of Sheffield united fans on their forums are saying we are 'sh#t' and a long ball team. When infact I thought we passed the ball crisply and quickly today, and mixed it up when we had too. If anyone was just hoofing it up to their striker it was them! It is league 1 so there will be an element of 'long ball'- but I would argue that we hit long passes rather than just wacking it anywhere on the pitch. What did everyone else make of our passing today? I certainly thought our midfield looked far better than theirs in the second half and we bossed the game with Smith, Freeman and Elliot looking unstoppable at times.

I was watching the game with a friend who supports Swindon and would be more than happy to tell me that we were rubbish. His unbiased opinion was that we looked really good and were playing in a manner that wouldn't be out of place in the championship.

My feeling was that we edged it mainly by being properly match fit, we just outran them the whole game and just looked more organised and generally up for it. Didn't seem to suffer from the lack of friendly last week.

When the opportunity arose... Flint and Williams both played balls down the channel and over the shoulder of Baldock...it's what he positions himself for sometimes, when midfield is full. It's effective and a deliberate pass, not hoof. You can see from his thumbs up that it is intentional.

When playing wing backs...you have to expect your forward to run the channel occasionally.

I thought we mixed up our passing well today and had lots of options.

Especially when SC wanted to shut up shop...the options on the bench were fantastic.

This is the strongest naturally balanced side we've had in years...another forward, GK and defensive leftie, and we should really look the part imho.

Thought they edged the 1st half but we completely dominated in the 2nd. We did look more sharper and fitter than them the longer the game went on and our class began to tell. Confidence and togetherness goes a long way in producing a successful team and we appear to have that in abundance at the moment. Nice to see. 

When the opportunity arose... Flint and Williams both played balls down the channel and over the shoulder of Baldock...it's what he positions himself for sometimes, when midfield is full. It's effective and a deliberate pass, not hoof. You can see from his thumbs up that it is intentional.

When playing wing backs...you have to expect your forward to run the channel occasionally.

I thought we mixed up our passing well today and had lots of options.

Especially when SC wanted to shut up shop...the options on the bench were fantastic.

This is the strongest naturally balanced side we've had in years...another forward, GK and defensive leftie, and we should really look the part imho.

The introduction of Pack was a good substitution and helped to steady the midfield at a critical time and Freeman was tiring IMO.

The introduction of Pack was a good substitution and helped to steady the midfield at a critical time and Freeman was tiring IMO.

Absolutely.

Hardly anything got past Pack after he came on, his height was very useful when Sheff U went aerially, too.

Looking at the whole game, I was very pleased to get to half time level. We had started well, but they had got to be well on top and we seemed to be doing what we did last year, midfield seemingly coming off second best, exposing the back four.

Second half, other than the last ten, I thought we bossed it. Mixed it up nicely, and played some very decent football from time to time. Not always said this about us, but also thought we looked fitter, and showed some physicality when we needed to.

We absolutely bossed that second half yes we sat back a bit after the goal but thought we were worth the three points. If our final ball was better we could have scored a few more.

What he said. Yeah we got a bit lucky and could have conceded a couple more, but we also could have scored 5 on another day. Overall I think a draw would have been fair, but if either team edged it I think that was us.

A couple of mates in Sheffield have both said we deserved to win, who were both at the game, which speaks volumes.

I thought Sheffield Utd were workmanlike and physical.

On another day they could have won but I felt on the run of play we had a lot more about us going forward and the difference is we have players who can hurt you all over.

Their forward, Higdon was just a lump, yes he scored against us from poor zonal marking but Wilbraham showed him how to play the 'forward' role today.

Overall we were a lot more effective when in posession whereas I felt Sheffield Utd were more chancing on our own mistakes especially in the first half. Second half we had more drive about us and when we scored they had to attack but it looked comfortable.

The posession stat says it all really in the first 25 minutes, we had 62% away from home which is mad really!

I would echo most statements on here.

We did mix it up.  Long when we had to, ran at them as well.  I particularly remember Freeman running at the defence but was unable to put Baldock through, in the second half.  Little for the first goal, was a great run, and you can see why he was bought in for this system of 3-5-2.

Towards the end of the second half, I thought we probably did use the long ball option a bit too regularly, but when its to finesse players, it really is effective.

One point I think may have been made before, last season, is when FF kicks the ball he is so close to the edge of his 18 yard area.  One occasion he was yards outside the box.  Someone should have a word with him. 

Great result and we look a great prospect.  I am hoping for big things this season.

Stevo

Love this comment from a blade who doesn't take losing very well, the same user posted these two comments..

"City are strongarm cloggers , no more than that, if they get promoted I will be amazed. I think they look shit overall"

"The best bit of your post is where you say :laugh: after saying title faves...spot on there..but my cat coulda told me that. Bristol city are shit."

How many times did we get done by teams who were complete crap last year?? Time for us to give it back with our supposedly crap team.

I would echo most statements on here.

We did mix it up.  Long when we had to, ran at them as well.  I particularly remember Freeman running at the defence but was unable to put Baldock through, in the second half.  Little for the first goal, was a great run, and you can see why he was bought in for this system of 3-5-2.

Towards the end of the second half, I thought we probably did use the long ball option a bit too regularly, but when its to finesse players, it really is effective.

One point I think may have been made before, last season, is when FF kicks the ball he is so close to the edge of his 18 yard area.  One occasion he was yards outside the box.  Someone should have a word with him. 

Great result and we look a great prospect.  I am hoping for big things this season.

Stevo

I noticed Fielding's kicking too. On one occasion his standing foot was clearly outside the box, so his hand must have been way out. He's going to have to stop it or he'll give away another costly free kick like last season.

I thought we were well drilled and well in control throughout the game.

All of the new players have added to the team and for once it looks like we have the makings of a very good midfield.

That said I was surprised at how ordinary and predictable the so called title favourites were.

There game plan was to constantly hit long balls to that lump up front and its a measure of our dominance today when for long periods you could here a pin drop from their fans.

Their fans sound bitter. Probably because their ego has been bruised, as the 'favourites' have lost their first game. They were ordinary, we were better.

Yep. Both them and Wednesday fans as bad as each other....big time Charlie's supporting clubs that aren't particularly good anymore in the grand scheme of things.

They should merge and become 'Sheffield City', I can't understand why they haven't done it already.

Sounding very bitter and if we were as bad as they say I would be more concerned with which direction their heading considering we were better than them for 75% of the game especially in the second half. I would argree  we arn't anything special, not like wovles last year here but we were decent. I do find it funny how they are already judging us off of one performace especially the first game of the season but I guess when your on the losing side your opinion becomes clouded and abit bitter - we've been no exceptions to this in the past mind you!

I noticed Fielding's kicking too. On one occasion his standing foot was clearly outside the box, so his hand must have been way out. He's going to have to stop it or he'll give away another costly free kick like last season.

I am sure this has been brought up in previous threads from last season.  He always seems to push the absolute limit of his area.  Which is fine, as long as those limits are not broken.  All it takes is some jumped up linesman to take exception.

He needs to be cognicent of the issue and make sure he is managing his area.

Stevo

Thought we began the first half really well and started to get a stranglehold on the game but then utd got back into it and started to assert some pressure that's when I thought we started hitting it a bit long and lost our shape at times, first half was quite even.

Second half we dominated still some long balls being more accurate and with a purpose and we passed well, everyone had a decent game really like Little, willba was good lolling forward to the rest of the season still think well let in some stupid goals thou.

Absolutely.

Hardly anything got past Pack after he came on, his height was very useful when Sheff U went aerially, too.

With his height, reading of the game and aerial ability it sounds like he might be a good option as a central defender especially as Cotts likes his defenders to have the ability to bring the ball out of defence. 

Just listening to Clough's after match interview, I must've watched a different game or he and the rest of the home fans had their blades goggles on!

If I was them I'd have the alarm bells ringing.

It would've been a travesty if they equalised such was our control.

I particularly liked the way we did our utmost to prevent crosses coming over.

Our build up play and the openings created warranted more goals and even 3:1 would have flattered them.

I thought we looked decent, we controlled the game. I struck me that Sheff U needed to score when they were on top as we had the quality to hurt them in the 2nd half. I was nice to see City looking like we had it all under control.

I think Sheff U will have a good season as that fat lump upfront is the perfect striker for their direct style of play. Typical Sheff U really but we didn't get bullied out like we used to. A good opening victory, let's hope we convert that next Saturday.

Archived