IGNORED

Funny How Fans View Games Differently

Cider red

I thought we looked decent, we controlled the game. I struck me that Sheff U needed to score when they were on top as we had the quality to hurt them in the 2nd half. I was nice to see City looking like we had it all under control.

I think Sheff U will have a good season as that fat lump upfront is the perfect striker for their direct style of play. Typical Sheff U really but we didn't get bullied out like we used to. A good opening victory, let's hope we convert that next Saturday.

A very valid point.

I recall numerous previous home games against 'bigger sides' Southend with DH, S Wed, Millwall, where we were bullied and lost.

Just listening to Clough's after match interview, I must've watched a different game or he and the rest of the home fans had their blades goggles on!

If I was them I'd have the alarm bells ringing.

It would've been a travesty if they equalised such was our control.

I particularly liked the way we did our utmost to prevent crosses coming over.

Our build up play and the openings created warranted more goals and even 3:1 would have flattered them.

Clough comes across as a very poor lose. Cotterill (yes I know he won) but he was complimentary to Sheff Utd as a club, the pitch, their support etc, whereas Clough had nothing good to say about us.

In one interview he also claimed that Little should have been sent off, apparently the only person the ground that didn't see it was the Ref. I saw the slo mo and I'm not sure there was a lot of contact. He went down, gas and air, stretcher, had his neck supported while they checked him over, next thing he is up, back on the pitch, not even a nose bleed. Looked like an attempt to get Little sent off backed him onerous manager.

They did have a period of about 20min where they by far the better side and possibly should've been ahead but overall City were much the better side, particularly 2nd half.

They surely did fella...and it came straight after FF's flap of a punch. We got unsettled and ruffled and they got their tails up.

This is why just being a good shot stopper doesn't make a good goalkeeper...it's those type of things that can really have a negative affect on a side....and we saw it yesterday...yet many fail to not understand that on here, which I find strange.

Clough comes across as a very poor lose. Cotterill (yes I know he won) but he was complimentary to Sheff Utd as a club, the pitch, their support etc, whereas Clough had nothing good to say about us.

In one interview he also claimed that Little should have been sent off, apparently the only person the ground that didn't see it was the Ref. I saw the slo mo and I'm not sure there was a lot of contact. He went down, gas and air, stretcher, had his neck supported while they checked him over, next thing he is up, back on the pitch, not even a nose bleed. Looked like an attempt to get Little sent off backed him onerous manager.

Clough has always been like that. Inherited his father's ego I suppose, but not his talent.

They surely did fella...and it came straight after FF's flap of a punch. We got unsettled and ruffled and they got their tails up.

This is why just being a good shot stopper doesn't make a good goalkeeper...it's those type of things that can really have a negative affect on a side....and we saw it yesterday...yet many fail to not understand that on here, which I find strange.

Terrific post.

Anyone who has played the game will know how much confidence a good keeper inspires.

I thought United were very one dimensional.  Their sole tactic seemed to be to ping the ball in the box.  Admittedly they were quite good at it, but I wonder if it'll prove that effective against a team with a big, tall back line.  I didn't think they had enough invention or creativity to open us up in the second half.  I'd be surprised to see them in the top two at the end based on that showing.

A lot of Sheffield united fans on their forums are saying we are 'sh#t' and a long ball team. When infact I thought we passed the ball crisply and quickly today, and mixed it up when we had too. If anyone was just hoofing it up to their striker it was them! It is league 1 so there will be an element of 'long ball'- but I would argue that we hit long passes rather than just wacking it anywhere on the pitch. What did everyone else make of our passing today? I certainly thought our midfield looked far better than theirs in the second half and we bossed the game with Smith, Freeman and Elliot looking unstoppable at times.

1) We definitely were not s**t

2) We passed the ball sideways and backwards a great deal so clearly not just hoofing it up the field.

3) After passing the ball sideways & backwards several times, we just hoofed up the field when nobody had a better idea. That happened rather too often in the 1st half.

Conclusion. There was too much long ball generally speaking and there needs to be more good running into position to receive balls played forward over medium distance.

Some brilliant observations on this page. If I may echo a few

Not bullied! We have been bullied by teams since 2008 let's hope we can stop that at AG too!

Little had a player impale himself on his elbow. That's how I saw it and the ref clearly saw the same. In defense of their player he was going to attack the ball but seemed to look right through Littles arm. Their players didn't get all Bolshy when it happened a clear sign they saw it the same way too

We outplayed them in the second half and the use of a long ball from time to time for a fast striker to run onto is a very basic part of the game. We looked comfortable in possession and Little should get mentioned in dispatches for winning the header from Williams cross field pass which took seven of their players out of the game. Long Ball is not the same as semi aimless punt to a 7ft strike or the 60 yard hoof toward the corner flag that Wimbledon would play for their quick players to hook into the area for Fashanu et al. We mixed up our play passing and moving well and getting at their full backs

Love the irony they should merge and become Sheffield City

FF needs to not kick so close to the line. I am sure he is in the box when he kicks it BUT why make the ref/Lino make a decision particularly away from home.

I read their main forum last night and overall thought it has the same sanity level as OTIB. Some think we are cloggers some think we are title favs. The truth is usually somewhere near the centre of the bell curve. IMO we will be up there and so will they come Xmas, then we will see. BUT GREAT START!

We were good but definitely quite direct. There was no midfield to speak of, at least not in the sense of joining defence and attack.

When defending we typically had 6 or 7 players back trying to win the ball. Once they won it, they sent it straight down the other end as quickly as possible, where the attacking players played some very nice football.

I never felt particularly comfortable or confident, though we'd taken full control by the end. Since that should be the toughest challenge they'll face this season we can realistically hope for a good season but we should be prepared for a few defeats too.

I felt like we coasted through that game, Not in a arrogant way. But it looked and felt like a new team that's not 100% gelled. Which technically excites me the most as we still controlled the majority of the game and looked good. Cant wait to see this team progress and improve further. 

Shef Utd were exactly how I expected them to be physical, workman like and expecting to win easily. Nigel Clough overrated and also a tool for aftermatch arragance.

It's funny how I remember it differently to how the highlights portray it.....

Having just watched it on player you would think that Sheffield United had far more chances and that we played nothing but long balls... Yet apart from a 20 minute spell before half time and 5 mins from the end I didn't feel like Sheffield U caused us any bother and we were in control....

Having said that I was on a train home with a Sheffield United fan that was positive that they should of had a penalty -when their player got booked for diving, yet I can't find a replay of that (unless I missed it on Player).

Having just watched it on player you would think that Sheffield United had far more chances and that we played nothing but long balls... Yet apart from a 20 minute spell before half time and 5 mins from the end I didn't feel like Sheffield U caused us any bother and we were in control....

Having said that I was on a train home with a Sheffield United fan that was positive that they should of had a penalty -when their player got booked for diving, yet I can't find a replay of that (unless I missed it on Player).

Reply on the day showed it as being a dive, no attempt to play either the ball or the man from our player.

Penalty?! Davies got a 10/10 for artistic impression! No-one was even near to him and he flung himself over. Typical flat-cap desperation.

If Sheff Utd are the benchmark for this season then we should be fine. I'd be more worried by the Posh or possibly MK Dons than them based on the first game.

They were better 1st half after we took the lead, but we were the better side 2nd half. The passing and positiioning was ******* awesome to see after the last few seasons of shit...we deserved that win.

The only slight issue I have is the defence is still suspect at times and a better attacking side than the Blades could punish us. The Blades attack was their weak link...and I dont think they deserved the draw even.

I think Doncaster could prove a far more dangerous rival this season. Mebbees the Swindle n all

I watched the game in a pub with a Sheffield United fan.  It's fair to say I enjoyed it a lot more than he did but he was very positive, felt we deserved to win and that both teams look like they'll challenge, which I completely agree with btw.  The only area he disagreed was the Little elbow, but to be honest I can sympathise with that as their lad looked quite badly hurt at the time and, after watching multiple replays, I wouldn't feel able to swear it was accidental.  I think it was but I'd have sympathised with the ref if he'd produced a card.

We didn't create loads but we dominated the first half hour of the second half and we looked far, far more solid than I've seen us in a long time.  Sheff Utd were mostly limited to attempts outside the box and whipped balls in which we dealt with and I think that was more of a credit to our defence than flaws within Sheff United's team.

Archived