IGNORED

Gazza

Super

With respect I don't think he is well enough to be working with children currently.

I don't think so either, but it was more of the thought. If he could just break the routine he is in at the moment, then maybe that could help? I'm not going to make out that I know anything about the disease, as I don't. I've never known anyone with alcohol addiction, so I wouldn't have a clue how to help.  

I don't think so either, but it was more of the thought. If he could just break the routine he is in at the moment, then maybe that could help? I'm not going to make out that I know anything about the disease, as I don't. I've never known anyone with alcohol addiction, so I wouldn't have a clue how to help.

The thought is there and what makes it a shame is I think he potentially has loads to offer young players.

Trouble is how can you guide someone when you can't even look after yourself.

I mean no disrespect, unfortunately the guy is a mess

He's a mess for sure but the question is why?

Alcoholism and mental health issues go hand in glove. One can lead into the other but ultimately the mental health problems cannot be successfully treated when the individual is drinking dependently.

He is a footballing legend who is a very sick man. unfortunately I think he will never be 100% and alcohol will eventually kill him very sad.

Looking at the state of him, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gone before 2015.  He can't help himself even when others try to help.  Horrible thing alcoholism, it's clearly got him, and he hasn't got the mental tools to keep away from it.  Such a shame.  I guess his brain is wired in a way where he can't give it up, no matter how much he may want to.

Looking at the state of him, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gone before 2015. He can't help himself even when others try to help. Horrible thing alcoholism, it's clearly got him, and he hasn't got the mental tools to keep away from it. Such a shame. I guess his brain is wired in a way where he can't give it up, no matter how much he may want to.

Most sensible post on this thread so far.

I just feel desperate for him to sort himself out, there won't have been many greater reformed celebrity characters than him if he was to.

What a complexed character, though? Bi-polar, Tourette's, depression - the routes of his problems were there long before he ever touched a drop of alcohol, incidentally.

I never disbelieve a person can recover until they are dead.

He thinks that's the stadium - I'd love to see his face when he gets sight of the Methanium :gaah:

By who?

You seem to know nothing about alcoholism. If you did you wouldn't post such a bigoted statement.

Rubbish, it's not bigoted it's just something you don't agree with.

You're the bigot, get over yourself.

I do know about "alcoholism" as I've lived with it for 35+ years, she just likes the taste and the effect, it's not a disease it's a lifestyle choice.

I just feel desperate for him to sort himself out, there won't have been many greater reformed celebrity characters than him if he was to.

What a complexed character, though? Bi-polar, Tourette's, depression - the routes of his problems were there long before he ever touched a drop of alcohol, incidentally.

I never disbelieve a person can recover until they are dead.

As I said before, he's just a knob.

As I said before, he's just a knob.

So you don't want knobs to become non-knobs? All knobs must die a sad and lonely death.

Yes he is responsible for a large amount of his decision making (and I suspect his background was similar to many other knobs who drink too much) but he can also change, as many other ex-knobs have.

So you don't want knobs to become non-knobs? All knobs must die a sad and lonely death.

Yes he is responsible for a large amount of his decision making (and I suspect his background was similar to many other knobs who drink too much) but he can also change, as many other ex-knobs have.

Correct but I don't believe he has the ability to become an ex knob.

I don't pity him or any other addicts, it's always their own choice, we can have as many addicts as we're willing to tolerate, no pun intended.

Correct but I don't believe he has the ability to become an ex knob.

I don't pity him or any other addicts, it's always their own choice, we can have as many addicts as we're willing to tolerate, no pun intended.

I don't think it is always necessarily through choice that people become addicts but I know, you've told me what you think on that, it is a life style choice, along with Tourette's, bi-polar, and OCD no doubt.

to a degree i would agree about it being a lifestyle choice, there was nothing i liked more than going to the pub and having a pint with my mates after work etc.sadly tho,thats where my agreement ends. the difference with alcoholics is not being able to stop when sensible to do so.or time to go home. the craving for more overpowers anything and anybody. the only way he will recover is when he hits rock bottom with no one to help him,only then will he realise that he must stop for his own well being. even then ,which i think might be in this case,the craving could be too strong to ever recover from it.

on a side note, alcoholics are never cured,they are permanently in recovery,its all about not taking that first drink.

I don't think it is always necessarily through choice that people become addicts but I know, you've told me what you think on that, it is a life style choice, along with Tourette's, bi-polar, and OCD no doubt.

Correct, mental health issues are often a cloaking agent for gross knobbery, encouraged by the usual social services mafia who rely upon our gullibility for their pay cheques.

to a degree i would agree about it being a lifestyle choice, there was nothing i liked more than going to the pub and having a pint with my mates after work etc.sadly tho,thats where my agreement ends. the difference with alcoholics is not being able to stop when sensible to do so.or time to go home. the craving for more overpowers anything and anybody. the only way he will recover is when he hits rock bottom with no one to help him,only then will he realise that he must stop for his own well being. even then ,which i think might be in this case,the craving could be too strong to ever recover from it.

on a side note, alcoholics are never cured,they are permanently in recovery,its all about not taking that first drink.

You're right, alcoholics lack the wit of those who know when they've had enough...but it's not an illness.

You're right, alcoholics lack the wit of those who know when they've had enough...but it's not an illness.

it is when they wish they could but cant. there is a difference between those that want to and those that dont.

i understand you saying its not an illness, it probably is the wrong word but some people just cannot help themselves.what else can you call this?

im not looking for an argument ,just trying to explain how it was for me.

ive been dry since millenium night having previously been pretty much pissed out of my head for the previous 20 odd years

Rubbish, it's not bigoted it's just something you don't agree with.

You're the bigot, get over yourself.

I do know about "alcoholism" as I've lived with it for 35+ years, she just likes the taste and the effect, it's not a disease it's a lifestyle choice.

Dear oh dear............

Well said WTFiGO?!.

No-one sets out to become an addict on purpose.

Archived