IGNORED

Gazza

Super

I was there for his finest hour at Italia '90 and find those pictures really sad. That said, he has had soooo many people try to help him over the years and nothing seems to work. I fear we will, at some point, read about his premature demise.

The finest player I ever saw and very, very sad.

I wonder what's happened to his agent/lawyer Mel Stein who made a nice living off the back of Gazza ?

Still involved with football agents but also a sports lawyer and the man behind the ill fated solicitors letter sent to the football league on behalf of NLBR regarding Wycombe and third party ownership

Unfortunately in spite of his talent he is still a complete knob

Is he? Or just a guy with serious mental issues, and in need of real lasting help and support?

Was Robin Williams a "complete knob"? Or is it too soon to draw a comparison?

He probably hasn't done himself many favours along the way, but no one ever asks to become mentally ill.

Is he? Or just a guy with serious mental issues, and in need of real lasting help and support?

Was Robin Williams a "complete knob"? Or is it too soon to draw a comparison?

He probably hasn't done himself many favours along the way, but no one ever asks to become mentally ill.

I question whether alcoholism is being "mentally ill", any more than heroin addiction or obesity is.

It's a self-destructive pattern of behaviour that can be overcome in a straightforward way although unfortunately some people find it very hard to do so.

I have great sympathy for alcoholics - I've known a few, and some have pulled themselves out of it, at least one guy I knew didn't make it though. I just don't see it as an illness - more a self-inflicted problem.

I question whether alcoholism is being "mentally ill", any more than heroin addiction or obesity is.

It's a self-destructive pattern of behaviour that can be overcome in a straightforward way although unfortunately some people find it very hard to do so.

I have great sympathy for alcoholics - I've known a few, and some have pulled themselves out of it, at least one guy I knew didn't make it though. I just don't see it as an illness - more a self-inflicted problem.

For a lot of people with an addiction it is just a case of self medicating due to underlying issues, the addiction is only a symptom not a cause. That's why happy clappy stuff like AA doesn't work for a lot of people.

I read his book quite a long time ago and I guess a heck of a lot has happened since then. From memory he indicated that he never really got over the death of a childhood friend. He was only a maybe 9 or 10 and was looking after a slightly younger boy. They had gone to a local sweet shop and on leaving the boy an out into the road and was hit by a car/lorry and was killed infront of Gazza. He said he has carried the guilt ever since.

My neighbour is an alcoholic, he drinks every day but some days are much worse than others. We can always tell when something goes wrong in his life as he drinks more to blot it out. He cannot face reality of his marriage, family, money issues so he drinks and by drinking causes more problems. He needs his family on side to care for them so doesn't take his issues out with them, it's his neighbours who he causes grief to by harassing and assaulting. Yes he's been to court and the police have been involved for years. He calms down for a while as this seems to shock him but soon again he is drinking ( and driving) again.

Alcoholics think they are clever, he thinks he is fooling everybody by hiding his empty bottles by not putting them out for recycling. He goes daily to the supermarket, sometimes several times a day to put empties in the bottle bank and of course collect more supplies of booze. He wears a suit and a tie to go shopping which in his eyes make him respectable. He drives a brand new car curtesy of his wife's mobility allowance (she has got a bad hip and rarely goes out which leaves him free rein to go and do the shopping via the pub etc). He lives in a private house. My point being that what you see on the outside masks a hell of a lot of problems on the inside, he doesn't look dishevelled clutching a bottle slumped on the floor.

He has screwed up through drinking everything in his life. He is about 70 years old and still has his 48 year old son living at home. His son has never had a relationship or lived independently. He is a screwed up individual too. The alcoholics wife is dependant on him as he is on her, she doesn't drink but her mind is bitter and twisted and she is a nasty individual. Another son has had 2 failed relationships which has given him 3 children, he is now living on his own and I think he will soon return back to the family home at the age of 45. The alcoholics youngest son left home at 16, set up his own small business and had a daughter. He never returns home. His daughter though was a real problem child and moved in aged 14 with the alcoholic and his family, apparently they could claim money for taking her in which paid for his drink!!! She got pregnant at 15 and moved into her own place soon after, she and her now toddler are now regular visitors, so another couple of lives he is about to screw up too.

Gazza has a lot of problems, but he has had a lot of help too. Whatever he is trying to blot out is dwarfed by his real issues, maybe the death of his friend? As far as I know my neighbour hasn't had any help as he hasn't accepted he has a problem, yet and I doubt if he will now. For every Gazza who lives his demise publicly, and of course has benefitted from fame in the past there are so many unseen affecting more lives than their own.

No, i'm not suggesting that but as others have alluded to the alcoholism is usually a cover for the underlying issue. People drink to forget there problems, you cant simply say "stop drinking" - it doesnt work like that.

Unfortuantely its far from straight forward, and thats a pretty ignorant way to look at it.

Again, that specific issue, the drinking may be semi self-inflicted but it usually stems from a much deeper issue. Probably depression - which is a mental illness regardless of whether people like to admit that or not

There is no return from this self distruct path he's on.

Gonna end up the same as Georgie Best :-(

Indeed. There are so many similaries between the two.

In the AA 'The Big Book' there is a reference to those 'unfortunates' who are the ones that never overcome their alcohol addiction despite rehab and other treatment. Best was one and I fear Gazza is another.

I feel so sorry for him (and anyone else who is addicted).  Alcoholism is very difficult to recover from and the world is full of too many temptations.  yes. I know a few who have succeeded but also a few that have not.  It's down to a lot more than will power alone.

As I understand it though, he has had the best of help and support and it that aint enough to get you through it, I doubt anything is.

So yes he's going the same way as George Best but the poor guy just can't do anything about it - the power of the addiction is just too strong.

Those I know who have recovered have needed the best medical help and have needed to completely break away from the life they have known - i.e. move away, start again, get a new job, friends, hobbies, etc.

He has had many chances to sort himself out mind, the average alcoholic on the street would just be called a disgrace, but not gascoigne?...

By who?

You seem to know nothing about alcoholism. If you did you wouldn't post such a bigoted statement.

One of my all time heroes and the last truly great player England produced, to see him like that brings a lump to my throat.

In an era of the emergence of the superstar , filthy rich , out of touch with reality, footballer, gazza came across as ' one of us ' . this as much as his ' god given talent ' endeared him by and large to his fans. Most football fans have always had a ' soft spot ' for a flawed genious, to a lesser degree, like our jacki.

No, i'm not suggesting that but as others have alluded to the alcoholism is usually a cover for the underlying issue. People drink to forget there problems, you cant simply say "stop drinking" - it doesnt work like that.

Unfortuantely its far from straight forward, and thats a pretty ignorant way to look at it.

Again, that specific issue, the drinking may be semi self-inflicted but it usually stems from a much deeper issue. Probably depression - which is a mental illness regardless of whether people like to admit that or not

That's true, although not always the case.

One of my best friends graduated from being a heavy drinker to an alcoholic to a problem drinker to an alcoholic again and eventually died (having accidentally fallen into the sea when pissed).

He had many intervals of sobriety (or toned down drinking sometimes) and got a PhD and was working as a social worker (ironically in alcohol rehabilitation) when he died.

Having known the man for years and even shared a house with him at one stage, I'd say he wasn't mentally ill. Just monumentally weak-willed. Maybe that degree of weak will counts as mental illness? Point is he had no obvious underlying issues. Alcohol was THE issue.

I realise that for some there are other factors.

It doesn't help that alcohol plays such a central role in British social lives. I often thought my friend should emigrate to somewhere more southern European.

He's ill, he looks a complete state. He has mental health problems, forget the booze as he's obviously not drinking to have a good time.

I think the media have a responsibility to stop reporting on him, I can't help but think the exposure he got for signing for a Sunday league team might have triggered some kind of anxiety or episode that led him to drink.

Archived