IGNORED

Baldock To Blackburn Rovers ?

Major Isewater

Potentially. Would Sam want to move there though, that's the issue? I genuinely get the feeling that neither Bristol City or Sam Baldock are interested in a move. I really do think that Sam is loving his football and the environment that he is in at the moment*

I think it is clear to see that the squad at present has got a really nice feel about it, and everyone seems to be pushing in the same direction. Sam Baldock is captain of this group of lads, and I really can't see him wanting to leave, I really can't.

* I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the arse.

Potentially. Would Sam want to move there though, that's the issue? I genuinely get the feeling that neither Bristol City or Sam Baldock are interested in a move. I really do think that Sam is loving his football and the environment that he is in at the moment*

I think it is clear to see that the squad at present has got a really nice feel about it, and everyone seems to be pushing in the same direction. Sam Baldock is captain of this group of lads, and I really can't see him wanting to leave, I really can't.

* I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the arse.

It won't Dicksy, not up there in cloud cuckoo land.  :whistle2:

Is there anything in this?  Or is it just looking at one transfer, and presuming those selling could want Sam?

And, no offence to Sam (like him, and hope he stays/signs a new contract), but is there anything to suggest he's a comparable replacement to Rhodes?  That lad has a better than 1-in-2 goal-to-game ratio for Blackburn; as good as Sam is, does anyone here think he's that good?

Were Rhodes to move to Hull, I can see them bringing in someone both more expensive and more proven player at the level.

Don't imagine the fans up there would settle for much less.

SC alluded to the thought that another club that isn't Brighton is preparing an offer!

My instinct is that that Blackburn could be the club simply because the pieces fit!

I don't see that Blackburn would cock around knowing Brighton are sniffing, but if I were Sam you got to be thinking Blackburn are a good club and Brighton seem to want to shop at bargain basement prices.

3m or figure rising to that would get the man I'm sure! (Not forgetting 25% sell on)

Although SB got more league goals, Assombalonga scored 33 in all competitions last season to Baldock's 25.

At just 21, he's also 4 years younger.

Potential wise, Assombalonga is vastly superior.

I think that was the point I was making. Assombalonga was an easy call but Sam is not as far as the Championship is concerned

You wouldn't blame Baldock for going. Blackburn are a nice safe bet to stay in the Champ for a while. We're not. He's got a few years at his best ahead of him, can he afford, professionally or monetarily, to stay? Dilemma for sure. If, Blackburn sell Rhodes, that is. And if they then want him...

One bloke who I think might be out the door and under the radar, is JET. Can't see him putting up with being benched for too long. London Calling him?

http://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/ and the article benched for some thoughts on leaving out a mercurial talent...

You wouldn't blame Baldock for going. Blackburn are a nice safe bet to stay in the Champ for a while. We're not. He's got a few years at his best ahead of him, can he afford, professionally or monetarily, to stay? Dilemma for sure. If, Blackburn sell Rhodes, that is. And if they then want him...

One bloke who I think might be out the door and under the radar, is JET. Can't see him putting up with being benched for too long. London Calling him?

http://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/ and the article benched for some thoughts on leaving out a mercurial talent...

Interesting read; thanks.

For me on the "will JET go" issue, it comes down to three questions.

- Could we live without him?  -  Probably; we seem to have the depth to field an effective first eleven without him.

- Do we have another player like him?  -  No; despite his detractors insistence that he's lazy and a "luxury" player, his record speaks for itself, and I struggle to see anyone else in the squad with his natural ability/playing style.

- Who would want him?  -  Right now, no one; of all our players, I've heard not one peep about anyone seeking to get him in their team, despite his goals and assists last time out.

Baldock may look to Blackburn and see an opportunity, and it seems likely someone will bid for him again, but I think that when it comes to JET, he'll be here post-deadline day, so we might as well get behind him, support him as part of a decent squad, and see if we can't get as much out of him as we can while we have him on the books.

Interesting read; thanks.

For me on the "will JET go" issue, it comes down to three questions.

- Could we live without him?  -  Probably; we seem to have the depth to field an effective first eleven without him.

- Do we have another player like him?  -  No; despite his detractors insistence that he's lazy and a "luxury" player, his record speaks for itself, and I struggle to see anyone else in the squad with his natural ability/playing style.

- Who would want him?  -  Right now, no one; of all our players, I've heard not one peep about anyone seeking to get him in their team, despite his goals and assists last time out.

Baldock may look to Blackburn and see an opportunity, and it seems likely someone will bid for him again, but I think that when it comes to JET, he'll be here post-deadline day, so we might as well get behind him, support him as part of a decent squad, and see if we can't get as much out of him as we can while we have him on the books.

- we certainly could live without him, at least if you asked Cotts. But, as a fan of his, watching City is duller without him starting/playing more than a cameo. I enjoy watching someone of marvellous skill and just try, for 90 mins every two weeks, to forget I'm English and partisan and blinkered, and just revel in the fact that someone with such unbelievable talent plays in our red shirt. But we can, no doubt about it, live without him...

- no-one like him. Freeman might take up a similar position on the pitch but he is lightweight and willo-the-wisp, and not just in comparison to JET. I think we may be guilty of just buying one of the division's best players with Freeman, just for the sake of it, we didn't really need him - Cotts would have, in my book, been much better spending that time and energy getting a decent and reliable keeper. But if we can live without JET, it doesn't matter if there is no-one like him. It'd just be a shame to think this season he may only be a bit-part player. If you are a fan of his, that is...

- I am quite sure a London club like Orient or even Brentford would think about signing him, luring him home. Maybe not in this window, but the next. We don't always hear about all the goings-on before a transfer - not sure any of us anticipated the Wilbraham signing (nor did he by the sound of it, he just thought he was on holiday and keeping fit in the gym, not being eyed-up by some Cheltenham purv!! Joke, Cotts, joke...)...

I agree with your sentiments and am, like you, getting behind him - and Frankie and Flinty and El Abdee and anyone else who might be on the verge of being booed. Why? Because they play in Red for the City and so deserve our support...

You Reds!

- we certainly could live without him, at least if you asked Cotts. But, as a fan of his, watching City is duller without him starting/playing more than a cameo. I enjoy watching someone of marvellous skill and just try, for 90 mins every two weeks, to forget I'm English and partisan and blinkered, and just revel in the fact that someone with such unbelievable talent plays in our red shirt. But we can, no doubt about it, live without him...

- no-one like him. Freeman might take up a similar position on the pitch but he is lightweight and willo-the-wisp, and not just in comparison to JET. I think we may be guilty of just buying one of the division's best players with Freeman, just for the sake of it, we didn't really need him - Cotts would have, in my book, been much better spending that time and energy getting a decent and reliable keeper. But if we can live without JET, it doesn't matter if there is no-one like him. It'd just be a shame to think this season he may only be a bit-part player. If you are a fan of his, that is...

- I am quite sure a London club like Orient or even Brentford would think about signing him, luring him home. Maybe not in this window, but the next. We don't always hear about all the goings-on before a transfer - not sure any of us anticipated the Wilbraham signing (nor did he by the sound of it, he just thought he was on holiday and keeping fit in the gym, not being eyed-up by some Cheltenham purv!! Joke, Cotts, joke...)...

I agree with your sentiments and am, like you, getting behind him - and Frankie and Flinty and El Abdee and anyone else who might be on the verge of being booed. Why? Because they play in Red for the City and so deserve our support...

You Reds!

Yes, I suppose my two questions regards is there anyone like him, and can we survive without him, do kind of cancel each other out somewhat.

But I'd meant more that even though we CAN field an effective team in which he doesn't feature (first three league games showing that), it doesn't mean we've 'replace' his particular skill set.  And for my money, that is principally because few other players possess it.

One of my closest friends is an Ipswich Town fan, and despite the seemingly accepted 'fact' that he failed at Ipswich, my pal is not so sure. 

They, like us, were in a fair bit of turmoil and change when he arrived, and though he took longer to settle in for Town than here (as he started like a steam train, even if the rest of the team didn't) he gradually warmed up, and despite the fact the team was doing very badly (so much so they changed managers) and that he frequently played out on the left wing, he was actually became one of the few bright spots in a pretty awful period for them.

After McCarthy arrived, despite being one of their more effective players, JET never really got a look in; I think a lot of the perception of his being 'lazy' came from this period, as McCarthy's tactics often are of the more 'robust' variety, which continues to this day (anyone who might have seen them play Fulham opening day on Sky will have seen they are very... shall we say, direct?), and the fact Daryl Murphy is a nailed on starter for them should speak volumes.

So, I don't subscribe to the idea he is 'lazy', more that he's less versatile, and being my pal watched him try his heart out to win a starting place via sub appearances all though his second season at Ipswich, despite playing everywhere except where he's spent his whole career learning to play, I think it is simply more the case that the 'aesthetics' of his game are a little 'weird' and unusual.  

I mean, I got in an argument with someone here RE his shot that lead to the goal against Oxford; for me, his strength and quick feet made him the space to get off a shot, forcing his defender to go to ground only a few yards from goal, leading to the loose ball being snapped up for a goal.  For the person critiquing JET, he was too slow and got caught on the ball,  I guess either could be true, but the fact he's played just over 90 minutes (if that) this year so far, yet is already responsible for assisting a goal says a lot to me.

He's an enigma, I'll not debate that.  But I'd think that fact makes playing against him as much of a nightmare as managing or watching him as a fan.

Archived