IGNORED

Baldock To Blackburn Rovers ?

Major Isewater

Ah, there you go then. Anywhere but the actual towns themselves!

I notice Baldock has yet to score this season. How's he playing? Some of our forum idiots will have a fit if we end up paying a hefty fee for a striker who hasn't scored in four or five (?) games...

He's playing in a different team, playing a different style, and with a different strike partner this season, and I think that's all significant.

After all the summer comings and goings Steve Cotterill now has the personnel to play his style, which is either down the wings (playing with wing backs) and square into the box, or high balls up to a target man (Wilbrahim) for a knock down/ hold the ball and pass back. I personally don't think either of those suits Sammy. A huge proportion of his goals last season came when he was playing with JET, who hasn't featured in the league this season, and that's because JET doesn't fit into that style at all. His game is on the deck, through the middle, with clever passes for clever runs between defences. That's what Sammy thrives on. I'm convinced that He'd have had a couple yesterday at Rochdale if JET had played, because Rochdales defence was playing so far up the park that there was space behind for those runs.

So, I guess the answer is depends on how you're set up to play. Down the wings, high balls into the box and he may not be right for you. On the deck, passing game, someone behind him who can pick him out with some intelligent and incisive passes and he will get goals for you.

Yep nothing to see here...move on.

Supposedly picking up some 5'8" Spanish striker from Getafe this morning, so maybe we've indeed moved on. So far, of all the better known players we've targeted & not got (couple of goalkeepers, Adam Clayton, Stephen Ward), we've managed to pick up much cheaper second choice players, all of whom have been surprisingly good so far.

Perhaps Spanish guy means goodnight (from us) to Sammy. Still think we'll go after one more striker, but I can't see the chairman getting into games with City over Baldock. Maybe you can breathe easy now & Baldock can start scoring some goals...

So, I guess the answer is depends on how you're set up to play. Down the wings, high balls into the box and he may not be right for you. On the deck, passing game, someone behind him who can pick him out with some intelligent and incisive passes and he will get goals for you.

Fair one. We knock it around short and sharp, long balls are wasted on us as we have no big strikers (and also some extremely intelligent midfielders). We have Craig Mackail-Smith alone up front currently, who is to heading what Malky Mackay is to race relations.

Well, I say we knock it around- if you'd seen our first two league games this season, you may not have noticed that, but in the last two, we've been back on our game, and it's been a joy to watch. Joao Teixeira (on loan from Liverpool) has a beautiful eye for a pass.

Dammit, I've given us away :D

Quite interesting what you said about the City style of play actually. Has that changed from last season (when Baldock was on a good scoring run)? And, more to the point, is there a possibility that the style of play, and his perception of how it impacts on his own game, might cause him to ponder his position if it becomes a regular tactic?

Not trying to stir it, as many people have said, I'm sure he's happy enough at City. Just curious now you've said that.

Ha ha!

Yes, I think it's changed, because Cotterills been able to bring in players to play the way he wants. In particular, higher tempo, wing backs, big target man - none of which we had last season. What will Sammy think of that? Probably too early, for several reasons:

1 He's captain

2 He's a striker, and strikers always think they can score, and a spell of 5 games without a goal is nothing unusual

3 Very early on in the season, so players still getting used to each other

4 JET is still on the bench

5 I'm not quite sure we've worked out what Luke Freeman's best role is, or got him fully fit yet. As someone else commented recently, it's like we bought him because he was the best player in L1 last season, but not because he could do a specific job. He's playing much more centrally than he did at Stevenage, and I think struggling with the fact that he gets less space there, but I think that if and when he gets to grips with that then he could provide Sammy with some of that shorter more incisive passing.

But... As others have said, I wonder if we will ever find out!!! I wouldn't be surprised to see home go this week, although there were no dramatic farewell gestures after the game yesterday.

Ha ha!

Yes, I think it's changed, because Cotterills been able to bring in players to play the way he wants. In particular, higher tempo, wing backs, big target man - none of which we had last season. What will Sammy think of that? Probably too early, for several reasons:

1 He's captain

2 He's a striker, and strikers always think they can score, and a spell of 5 games without a goal is nothing unusual

3 Very early on in the season, so players still getting used to each other

4 JET is still on the bench

5 I'm not quite sure we've worked out what Luke Freeman's best role is, or got him fully fit yet. As someone else commented recently, it's like we bought him because he was the best player in L1 last season, but not because he could do a specific job. He's playing much more centrally than he did at Stevenage, and I think struggling with the fact that he gets less space there, but I think that if and when he gets to grips with that then he could provide Sammy with some of that shorter more incisive passing.

But... As others have said, I wonder if we will ever find out!!! I wouldn't be surprised to see home go this week, although there were no dramatic farewell gestures after the game yesterday.

Sounds reasonable. I don't think him not scoring early on means a lot anyway, though god knows I'm sure there will be those amongst your support who are asking questions (same as a fair few of ours were full of doom & gloom when we lost our first two games this season).

He strikes me as one of those players who won't score for a while, then gets one and then goes on a hot streak. Ah well. Here's hoping he gets on it soon eh?

Baldock will only leave for a club that has a realistic chance of being promoted to the Premier League.

Is this something you know KITR, or just your assumption?

Baldock's career record is not good enough for a top end Championship club, still less one thinking of players to continue playing for them if they go up to the PL.

If he rates himself that highly, and will only consider a move to such a club, City fans who are desperate for him not to leave can breathe a sigh of relief.

A good solid Championship club for a fee approaching 2m, yes, but a top end one will surely be seeking a far more proven and consistent goalscorer, or one with vastly more potential to improve.

Archived